Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PCI vs, PCI express NIC card?

Last response: in Networking
December 1, 2011 4:33:31 AM

Just looking for any opinions or ideas on which is better. Had a power outage that seems to have smoked my on board nic card. So I need a fix. I have narrowed it down to two Rosewill cards and here's my scenario.

I have a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L, micro ATX with an ATI radeaon HD 4850. The GPU completely covers one of my PCI slots and I checked the second one for fit with an old PCI video card and there looks like a good 1/4" between the GPU fan and the video card. Now I realize most NIC cards are only an inch or so wide, so would this dramatically effect my GPU? Its a Sapphire Vapor-X series so it runs relatively cool as is, and I have it in a Lian-Li K58 with a 140mm intake in the front, dual 140mm exhaust on the top and a 120mm rear exhaust (With my cable management, I'm actually pretty proud of the airflow in the case, even with a Lian-Li fan controller always on low setting, everything stays nice and cool even during long gaming sessions). But I do slightly overclock my GPU. My PCI-express port is free and clear above my GPU, but I am concerned about the quality of PCI vs. PCI-express for NIC cards. And any impact having a PCI card so close to my GPU fan might cause. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. These are the two cards I'm considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99 USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $9.99 USD

both have $2.99 shipping so thats a moot point.

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

December 1, 2011 10:48:59 AM

The older PCI bus is limited to 1000Mbps, which means it's theoretically possible for a PCI-based Gigabit NIC to saturate that bus. Of course, whether that matters depends on how many other cards/devices would be likely to use that PCI bus at the same time. It's this 1000Mbps limitation that created the need for PCI-E in the first place. For the most part, the PCI-based NIC is only intended for those who have no other option, and why it’s a little cheaper.

So personally, given the choice, and assuming Gigabit, most ppl would prefer a PCI-E NIC over one based on PCI (all other things being equal).
December 1, 2011 9:30:47 PM

thanks much, that will work just fine with me. PCI-express it is.
m
l
December 1, 2011 9:31:07 PM

Best answer selected by w3tworks.
m
l
!