ASRock A.G.I. Compatibility

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hey all,

Thank you for taking your time to read this, and I appreciate all your responses in advance. Thank you again.

Hopefully this is a quick question, and nothing too technical. I have an old ASRock motherboard, a P4i45GV R5.0 (click). If you notice, it has an AGI slot; an ASRock Graphics Interface. It basically accepts AGP 8x graphics cards, and the slot transfer speeds are the same as an PCI slot (not express). I'm sure there's much more logic behind it, else it wouldn't have gained a patent; unless I'm just wrong (haha, it wouldn't be my first time :D). You're now probably thinking, buy a new computer! Haha, but unfortunately I can't right now, although an upgrade is much easier for me. :(

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (Leadtek Winfast A400TDH, 128MB) graphics card; which is the best graphics card the AGI slot takes, or at least according to the ASRock VGA support list (click). Although not specified, do you think I'll be able to run a WinFast A7600 GT TDH (NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, 256MB DDR3, AGP 8x)? If so, please let me know. Thank you!

Also, do you think I'll be able to run other graphics cards not specified on the VGA support list, which are better than a NVIDIA GeForce 6800, with 128MB DDR video RAM? If so, could you please state so, or name a few? Sorry and thank you.

Again, thank you very much! :D

Wolfshadw

Titan
That really is a tough call and I'd have a local technician try any AGP card that's not on the list before actually purchasing a card.

I say it's a tough call, because I used to have an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard. This board has both AGP and PCI-E graphic card slots. As you can see, the PCI-E VGA Support list is quite limited, but it had no problems running an ATI All-In-Wonder X1800XL even though it's not on the support list. That's not to say the VGA support list for your motherboard is incomplete (as it is for a different slot and much more extensive), but it is something I'd make sure to test before making a purchase.

-Wolf sends

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for your response, I extremely appreciate it. Thanks you.

I see, haha. I'm glad it all worked out for you, and none the less, I totally agree with your judgement. Since the list I provided is much more comprehensive, it will probably be limited to. Although it would have been great to get a video card which could encode HD content, I think I'll stick to my NVIDIA GeForce 6800; since my computer is quite old anyway (I agree it's old now, after looking for a computer to buy for my mother :( - she'll have a better PC than me; but she deserves it anyway).

Sorry for the bother, and thank you for your response again. I guess I'll stick to my GeForce 6800. Thank you. ;