Sign in with
Your question

Built my PC but monitor does not pick up signal

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2012 11:33:27 PM

I finished building my pc, and plugged my VGA cable into a DVI-VGA connector then plugged that in to my video card but my monitor does not detect it, it just says no VGA signal then monitor going to sleep. I took the video card out multiple times and made sure it was secure. The power is hook up on it and the fan on the card spins.. What could I be doing wrong? My monitor is a compaq Q1859 and my video card is MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2012 11:49:20 PM

try removing the video card and just running with your onboard video.

if that dosnt work try a DVI monitor and get rid of that VGA converter.
m
l
December 11, 2012 12:02:50 AM

Could it be possible that my card is deffective? When taking out the converter the thing circled in this picture came out.. is this normal??

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2012 12:42:52 AM

sesbetr72 said:
Could it be possible that my card is deffective? When taking out the converter the thing circled in this picture came out.. is this normal??

http://i49.tinypic.com/1k6rk.png

I had a video card where that happened and I wound up returning it to the manufacturer. It doesn't always need to be that way but if you plug it in it should work. Did you connect the power connectors?
m
l
December 11, 2012 12:46:52 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I had a video card where that happened and I wound up returning it to the manufacturer. It doesn't always need to be that way but if you plug it in it should work. Did you connect the power connectors?

Yeah, the fan on the card spins but for some reason it will not pick a signal on my monitor
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2012 12:53:34 AM

info on your PC specs?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2012 1:02:14 AM

Hazle said:
info on your PC specs?

Yeah I think this would help because there could be a number of factors as to why your system isn't turning on.
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:06:43 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ Mac Mall)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($112.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($28.22 @ Compuvest)
Total: $522.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-10 22:06 EST-0500)
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:12:34 AM

Btw, all the LED's inside light up all the fans work, optical drive works, cooler works, just the monitor isnt picking up a signal
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:46:45 AM

can anyone please help
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:58:36 AM

This is my first build by the way, so I might of made a simple mistake, if you can think of anything please post it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2012 4:16:41 AM

RAM - try taking it out and reseat it, and make sure it's properly seated in. also you realize that the modules are not installed side by side right next to each other, right? just making sure.

motherboard - did you plug-in the CPU 8-pin power connector located upper left of the CPU? do you hear any beeping sound of any kind when you turn it on? if you do, refer to your motherboard manual to identify the problem based on the type of beep.

GPU - did you connect you DVI/HDMI/etc. cable from the GPU to the monitor (yes. this happened)? did you try a different cable? try using the motherboard's onboard graphics as well. are you sure the monitor is working?

EDIT: i just realized you're using a DVI-VGA connector. consider trying another one out or use a direct HDMI-HDMI or DVI-DVI connection.
m
l
December 11, 2012 4:29:40 AM

Hazle said:
RAM - try taking it out and reseat it, and make sure it's properly seated in. also you realize that the modules are not installed side by side right next to each other, right? just making sure.

motherboard - did you plug-in the CPU 8-pin power connector located upper left of the CPU? do you hear any beeping sound of any kind when you turn it on? if you do, refer to your motherboard manual to identify the problem based on the type of beep.

GPU - did you connect you DVI/HDMI/etc. cable from the GPU to the monitor (yes. this happened)? did you try a different cable? try using the motherboard's onboard graphics as well. are you sure the monitor is working?

EDIT: i just realized you're using a DVI-VGA connector. consider trying another one out or use a direct HDMI-HDMI or DVI-DVI connection.

RAM- try reseating it many times, first I did A1 B1 then A2 B2 switched the modules had one at a time etc..

Motherboard- The CPU power is in, I dont have the speaker so I can't hear the beeps

GPU- Connected it to monitor nothing happened, cannot find any other cables and my mobo doesnt have an onboard graphics. The monitor is working, I got it from my parents computer.
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:03:02 AM

Monitor - just for curiosity, go through the various input choices (once the pc 'boots'/lights/stabilize) selected via the monitor's own buttons. You might be surprised.

Additionally, plug the monitor lead into the motherboard video out just to check.
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:49:50 PM

mesab66 said:
Monitor - just for curiosity, go through the various input choices (once the pc 'boots'/lights/stabilize) selected via the monitor's own buttons. You might be surprised.

Additionally, plug the monitor lead into the motherboard video out just to check.

1. This might sound stupid but how can I change the input? I tried pressing everything and it only stays on VGA

2. No on-board video
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:36:29 PM

Also, my keyboard and mouse do not work either neither of them light up. Could this be a problem with my mobo
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:14:23 PM

I think your really need to try with out that adapter on a different monitor or screen.

Also remove all except one Dimm. Disconnect hard drives, basically everything other than the cpu, video card, and one stick of ram.

if you can't get your hands on another monitor try hdmi on a tv
m
l
December 12, 2012 3:15:47 AM

eshepard said:
I think your really need to try with out that adapter on a different monitor or screen.

Also remove all except one Dimm. Disconnect hard drives, basically everything other than the cpu, video card, and one stick of ram.

if you can't get your hands on another monitor try hdmi on a tv

What about my keyboard/mouse?
m
l
December 12, 2012 3:24:00 AM

are your mouse and keyboard plugged into usb3 ports?
m
l
December 12, 2012 5:57:38 AM

USB 2, then I tried another keyboard that had a PS/2 cable still didnt work
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:42:07 PM

did you try a different monitor or tv?
m
l
!