1st Build - 1000$ budget gaming build

Looking into my first build here! Budget’s about 1000$, but of course I’d like to keep a bit under. I’m not 100% sure what to go with in terms of the PSU, The XFX 750w is a good amount cheaper than the Cool Master, but would it be enough to safely run SLI with the 660 ti? In terms of the CPU cooler, would I just need 1 CPU cooler? What should the placement be inside the case? I'm not quite sure whether or not it'll have issues fitting, either...

CPU- i5 3570K
GPU- EVGA GTX 660 ti
Motherboard- - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive – Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB
DVD Drive – Lite-on iHAS124-04
Case- Cooler Master Elite 430
Power Supply- Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 800w or XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
CPU Cooler - Xigmatek Loki SD963 – 25$


As of now I’m not too interested in overclocking. Any help or modifications would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
GPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130809&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
Motherboard- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KTY4A6/?tag=pcpapi-20
RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
HDD- http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355188572&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+barracuda+7200+1tb
DVD Drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
PSU-
Coolmaster – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
XFX- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IUVYA2/?tag=pcpapi-20
CPU Cooler- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233081&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
8 answers Last reply
More about build 1000 budget gaming build
  1. For starters I'd switch out the case and cooler - Xigmatek coolers are not that great and for your build I'd pay a bit more and get a better case than an Elite 430.

    The GTX 660TI is decent, the Radeon 7950 is better for the same price.

    Try something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1035.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-10 21:12 EST-0500)
  2. if there is a microcenter around you, you can get that CPU for $170 and get a board (maybe that one) for $40 off, it's a really sweet deal! I got my 3570k and AS Rock Extreme6 for like 250 or something
  3. FarPlanet said:
    Looking into my first build here! Budget’s about 1000$, but of course I’d like to keep a bit under. I’m not 100% sure what to go with in terms of the PSU, The XFX 750w is a good amount cheaper than the Cool Master, but would it be enough to safely run SLI with the 660 ti? In terms of the CPU cooler, would I just need 1 CPU cooler? What should the placement be inside the case? I'm not quite sure whether or not it'll have issues fitting, either...

    CPU- i5 3570K
    GPU- EVGA GTX 660 ti
    Motherboard- - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Hard Drive – Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB
    DVD Drive – Lite-on iHAS124-04
    Case- Cooler Master Elite 430
    Power Supply- Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 800w or XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    CPU Cooler - Xigmatek Loki SD963 – 25$


    As of now I’m not too interested in overclocking. Any help or modifications would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

    CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
    GPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130809&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
    Motherboard- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KTY4A6/?tag=pcpapi-20
    RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
    HDD- http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355188572&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+barracuda+7200+1tb
    DVD Drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
    Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
    PSU-
    Coolmaster – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
    XFX- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IUVYA2/?tag=pcpapi-20
    CPU Cooler- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233081&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
    i would change a few things

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $527.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-10 21:42 EST-0500)
  4. bigcyco1 said:
    Mobo is garbage imo 660 ti is not worth it's price the rest looks good. ;)


    Is it? It won an editor's choice in this round up: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254.html
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    Is it? It won an editor's choice in this round up: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254.html
    Yeah i disagree with that doesn't mean i am right doesn't mean TH is either.
  6. The Z77 Extreme4 can be purchased for as little as $130. Taking a look at the current availability of Intel Z77 motherboards at popular retailers that this motherboard is an absolute bargain and I would say – if you are on a tight budget then give this board some consideration, but if you aren’t, skip it.

    The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. I have done a few builds with it two of the boards died already.Some people prefer quality assurance if you are one of those people get ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard.
  7. g-unit1111 said:
    For starters I'd switch out the case and cooler - Xigmatek coolers are not that great and for your build I'd pay a bit more and get a better case than an Elite 430.

    The GTX 660TI is decent, the Radeon 7950 is better for the same price.

    Try something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1035.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-10 21:12 EST-0500)

    This will most likely be pretty much what I end up going with, but on the topic of the motherboard, would this ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 be a viable alternative? It's seems pretty similar at a slightly lower price after mail-in rebate.
  8. these would be good alternative mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544#top

    mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837#top
Ask a new question

Read More

Build CPUs Systems Product