Trainz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I recently got a new PC (this one - http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-H430-57310096-Desktop-PC/product_985091) and want to upgrade the GPU and power supply. I am a complete illiterate when it comes to PC’s but have done some digging and have gotten it down to 2 GPU’s the GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB by GIGABYTE and the Radeon HD 7850 2GB also by GIGABYTE. I am looking to play some games like Trainz Railroad Simulator 12 and Battlefield 3 if the system could handle it. And with a new GPU I will need a new power supply of 500 to 600 Watts and was wondering what power supplies are compatible with the system that you would recommend.
a.k.a. I need a recommendation on the graphics cards mentioned and a power supply compatible with the system.

Thanks! :)

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

What is your current wattage? A 7850 needs very little power. Also the 650 Ti is terrible price/performance wise.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Since you mentioned that you bought that system "recently"....
how recently?
check if you can still returned and get a full (or most) of your money back.
then build one to YOUR specs.

people here will be happy to help you choose the parts.

Note: it is really NOT that hard to put it together yourself.
Hint: if it is your first time then you could start with a DIY combo
and add any parts needed to that combo.

Some of this combos are complete others are just the bare basics.
here is a link to help you familiarize with this.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/MasterComboStore.aspx?StoreID=7&name=DIY-PC-Combos

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
You won't be able to replace the PSU in that computer. Prebuilts from HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc, come with no-name PSUs that are built into the case, as is the case with this Lenovo. You can see this by checking out the pictures of the open case on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883255370

You're going to have to buy a new case as well. Those aren't great specs, but they aren't horrible, either. You can transplant the whole thing into a new case with a new PSU, recycling what you can.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

In all honesty a 7850 may work since your CPU uses less than 65w and the GPU uses ~100w. That would give you 100 extra watts in theory. However it is a no name, and you would need to check the amperage. Also the PSU would need a moled or 6-pinn cord to power the GPU.

In all honesty a 7770 should run fine since it uses so little power (10-20w more than a 7750). However if there is no way to power a 6-pinn connector, a 7750 is really your only option.

Standard ( somewhat short ) ATX psu
MicroATX tower

Yep, psu upgrade is possible ( good quality 450w is plenty for the specs with either card )
Nope, don't need to change the case, either of the cards you mentioned will fit fine

Don't know what some of the noobs are smoking these days

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

If it can be then that's my mistake, but from the pictures it appears to be riveted shut. You could take it out but it would require modding.

Also, looking more closely at the pictures, it seems that the venting is really bad, and it's hard to tell how the PSU is even mounted (in some pictures it appears to be mounted to the top of the cage).

So I guess maybe you can theoretically keep the case and replace the PSU... but why would you want to keep that god-awful thing?

kragox

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
In all honesty, and mind you I am no expert but I am not exactly a noob either, building a PC from the bottom up if you have the money for it, is by FAR more satisfying than buying one off the shelves.
1) You get an in depth knowledge of what exactly is in your PC because you picked it and put it there yourselves, you aren't buying into something that you don't want just to get the few things you do want.

2) You get the satisfaction of playing your games the way that you want to play it without all the congestion of the other crap crammed in there by the corporate heads and the pride of knowing 'I did that.'

3) You can impress your friends with your computer know-how by showing off your computer that you built yourself.

Just saying, thats what I would do.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I second this guy. Well said. Plus you save A SH!T TON of money!