HUGE GPU+CPU temp increases in 2 minutes, tried everything

HJingo

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Okay, so basically the issue is I can play new games like Skyrim with no problem it seems, but when I play Sims 3 the computer crashes (no BSOD, just a HARD crash then restart) within about 3 minutes. If I play Civilization 4 the same result happens though sometimes it takes longer. Mostly older games. The weird thing is I don't recall having these problems months ago, and I can't see what's changed. If anything the environment is cooler as temperatures in my room are about 5*C lower than in the summer when I had no issues.

AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 440

I have tried cleaning the heatsink, re-applying thermal paste, etc. but that resulted in less than a degree Celsius of difference. And it's a spike issue. When idle it runs at about 36*C which is normal. But in two or three minutes of playing Sims it now jumps up a full twenty degrees 55*C and beyond. Eventually resulting in a hard crash.

Even lowering graphics doesn't seem to change anything. One screenshot I have of speedfan shows the Core/GPU being the hottest parts (53*C) versus Temp1 and CPU at 50*C, which maybe means the CPU is heating up because of the other parts but I'm not sure. The two hard-drives and everything else remain cool.

If someone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

HJingo

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I use Windows XP. Unfortunately the last minidump is in August so probably not related. The CPU and Temp 1 seem to be the hottest most of the time but when they get going hotter as I use games then the core and GPU also get too hot. Leading to a shut down.

I can't figure out what is causing this. I'm thinking of just replacing the motherboard or CPU but I think that would be premature at this point, I just don't know what to do. I'm a bit strapped for cash too so it'd be a bit of a waste.

Those temps are pretty normal. In fact, those CPU temps are pretty average, while the GPU temp is below average while under load.

HJingo

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Now under idle even, or just running internet I'm reaching 47-50*C for Core and GPU. CPU/Temp1 say 47*C, and this is low load (10% of CPU tops).

I've now had it crash while just surfing the internet. I'm starting to think either a faulty motherboard or perhaps is being plugged into a surge protector possible as a cause? Can it hold back too much voltage or something?

This is DEFINITELY an issue, not normal. Running Sims 3 crashes in a few minutes as I said. I put on an FPS limiter, and turned on vsync but this problem's only getting worse.

I updated the BIOS, graphics drivers, replaced the thermal paste, and used compressed air to make sure there was no dust. Problem still occurs. Am I right to suspect a faulty motherboard?

I didn't say you don't have an issue, but it isn't those temps.

While surfing, and opening up pages with flash, you'll find your card kicks into the same clocks as in gaming, that is why you see an increase in temps on the GPU. If you turn off hardware acceleration, the GPU will remain idle. (right click a flash app, and you should get a dialog box with an option to turn it off).

I'm not as familiar with AMD CPU's, but that's normal for my Intel. I looked up your CPU, and it shows it's safe up to 70C, but I'm pretty sure no one wants higher than 60C.

Do you have an OC on your CPU? If so, voltages could be an issue. What is your PSU? Perhaps you are crashing as a result of a bad PSU.

HJingo

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I am not overclocking. I am becoming convinced that the ASUS M5A78L motherboard which comes with "environmental power saving" features is malfunctioning precisely because of that feature.

It takes way too slow to cool down, it seems. It does not seem to be a bad PSU, but I've heard a shortage of voltages coming in can cause similar issues, but I have a bunch of devices including my computer plugged into a 1210w 125volt surge protector and curious if that can have any impact at all or if what the computer is plugged into is completely irrelevant.

HJingo

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
The PSU is a 450w "naXn".

Also in speedfan I just noticed this but ONLY my CPU fan's RPMs show, would that also be a sign of a faulty motherboard? I'm just getting more and more convinced after reading up on ASUS' scammy motherboards in particular the EPU features.