Sign in with
Your question

Would buying a graphics card fix my bad video? integrated vs discrete

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2012 3:46:19 AM

Hey guys,
I had a quick question. I am using Intel HD 4000 graphics on my i7 3770k, I notice that when i watch a video, on full screen especially, it's not that great. The best way i can describe it is it almost looks like a rolling shutter type effect you can get from DLSRs and other CMOS cameras. But it does it with everything no matter what video it is, youtube, netflix, anything. It seems to have parts of the frame of video offset or leg behind or just stutter a little bit. I am wondering if it could be that 1080p video full screen is a struggle for integrated graphics and if buying something discrete would help. Thanks.

i7 3770k
32 GB RAM
SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (main drive)
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 7:26:35 AM

It is likely that it is the integrated graphics that is struggling. May I ask why you have an i7, 32GB of RAM and an SSD yet not a dedicated graphics card? Is this for a workstation? You could pick up a cheap 7770 that would do wonders for you.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 7:32:13 AM

Did you update the drivers?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 9:15:59 AM

ive used hd3000 on my 2500k and had no such issues. there has to be something else going on here
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 10:07:40 AM

There is a difference between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics.
I have an old GMA 900 in my computer.
When playing a video it doesn't look smooth and you can see tearing everywhere especially when in a fast scene.
Upgrading to 9400 GT solve the problem.
Videos play smoothly and i can totally see the difference.
There is less tearing and the image quality look better.
Everything was blurry before but upgrading to a dedicated graphics card solved the problem.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 10:14:13 AM

unreal9400 said:
There is a difference between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics.
I have an old GMA 900 in my computer.
When playing a video it doesn't look smooth and you can see tearing everywhere especially when in a fast scene.
Upgrading to 9400 GT solve the problem.
Videos play smoothly and i can totally see the difference.
There is less tearing and the image quality look better.
Everything was blurry before but upgrading to a dedicated graphics card solved the problem.

that is with ancient integrated graphics on the motherboard. Modern CPU integrated graphics should handle YouTube. The HD4000 is even capable of light gaming
m
l
October 30, 2012 3:20:56 AM

Quote:
It is likely that it is the integrated graphics that is struggling. May I ask why you have an i7, 32GB of RAM and an SSD yet not a dedicated graphics card? Is this for a workstation? You could pick up a cheap 7770 that would do wonders for you.

Because it is a workstation mostly used for Adobe CS6, being how there are few things accelerated by a good graphic card in CS6 (and the price of getting one that makes a difference in CS6) i figured i could skip it and go with the HD4000. It happens alot when viewing anything played, especially in full screen mode.

Quote:
Give this a try. Good latency checker with some good troubleshooting info

www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I'll try this and let you know what i find, thank you everyone!
m
l
!