Gigabyte GTX 680 or Gainward GTX 680

Simmyen

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
so i have thought of bying one of these. Which would you choose??

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB PhysX CUDA
Gainward GeForce GTX 680 4GB PhysX CUDA

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
which ever one looks the coolest.

Those cards are basically the same, only difference will be the cooler they use.

Note that the Gainward is a 2.5 slot card, so you will need to make sure it will fit with your other stuff on your mobo.

Simmyen

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

no problem, i have enoguh space.
I had a Zotac GTX 680 amp edition card, but it didn't work properly. It may have been my power supply, which is only 600 watts. The Zotac card required 600 watt, but these two cards i mentioned here does require 550 watt. Do you think it will work with one of these instead?

Edit : i also have a 150 watt cpu boost added to the graphic card. My motherboard is : ASUS m5a89td pro

Simmyen

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Because in the future i may buy another screen and go SLI with this card. I've made my mind. it will be Gainward

Though, I recommend the Gigabyte Windforce 3X, it was recommend by many sites including Toms.
gigabyte-geforce-gtx-670-award,4-G-343600-22.jpg

However, If you wanna save money and go down 2GB, you can read this;
The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.

Now the setup could benefit from triple monitor setups at 5760x1080 (which is a 6 Mpixels resolution), but even there I doubt if 4 GB is really something you'd need to spend money on. It might make a difference at 16xAA and the most stringent games, or if you game in 3D Stereo and triple monitor gaming -- I mean sure -- at any point graphics memory can and will run out. There's one exception to the rule, and that's Skyrim all beefed, tweaked and modded upwards. But the universal question remains, is it worth it investing in that extra memor? This card is 90 EUR more expensive. Well that answer depends on pricing versus your demands and requriements really, the extra memory certainly won't hurt that's for sure, but sure -- the benefits remains small.

EDIT: 2 Screens is not a Surround Setup, you need at least 3 monitors to have the one large extended surface!

Simmyen

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

hmmm maybe i will change my mind to this card with 2gb of memory

He linked a 670 gigabyte card. I have that card and its awesome and you would be just fine going with a 2 gigabyte solution. Honestly for the 680 I would look at the following although I'm impartial to the gigabyte solution because it does support amazing cooling and is quiet as can be :) I say this because the 670 cooler is the same. Honestly I'd say the gigabyte the asus card is a bit pricey to me at least.

gigabyte
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125442&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
asus quite a bit higher then the others because of the cooling really and its a 3 slot beast
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121635&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
msi: what i love about the msi cards that have been coming out is they have this tech which spins the fans in reverse at boot to remove dust how cool is that. However lately with there PR with the tomshardware article with there power edition card sits shaken my confidence in the brand.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127698&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

Simmyen

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

thanks for awesome feedback :) i am going to buy a 680 card, money isn't the problem. My power supply and the limited space i have in my cabinet is my worry. I only have about 26cm of space, and a power supply on 600 watt... :p