Sign in with
Your question

First PC build. M-itx gaming help: Parts advice + Future-proofing.

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2012 4:42:53 AM

I'm building my first PC from scratch. I need some advice on reducing costs and still keeping it future-proof for newer parts within the next 3-5 years or so.

My store preference is Newegg due to a 30-day trial for free 2-day shipping, but anywhere else is fine. If there are any in-store deals, I live in Beaverton, OR, USA.

Parts already owned:

Some 300W PSU in my 5 year old desktop that still works amazingly?

Parts already ordered:

Bitfenix Prodigy - Arctic White Computer Case. ~$100

Parts I plan on buying:

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA III ~$65. [Willing to spend: $60-$80 with 400GB or higher]

Processor: i5-3570K ~$220 [Newegg bundle with motherboard: ~$325]

RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB 1600MHz ~$39 [Willing to spend: $30-$42 @1600Mhz or higher]

Motherboard: GA-Z77N-WIFI ~$130 [Newegg bundle with processor: ~$325] [Willing to spend: $100-$150]

Parts I plan on upgrading:

GPU: HD 7850 2GB with more than one fan for overclocking. [Willing to spend: $180]

PSU: 550W Minimum. [Willing to spend: $90]

-------------------------------------

Assume I live in nothing and there is one power outlet with a screwdriver.

Questions:

Am I missing anything?
How can I improve the build while staying within costs?
When/How should I start overclocking?

Thanks in advance! This is my first time posting. I hope I got the section and layout right :) .

-A
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2012 8:37:11 AM

1. No Ocing untill build in compleet and the cooling (will need a cpu cooler if Ocing) is satisfactory.
2. CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W at newegg 60$
3. Keep your eyes out for something like Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM (refurbished) at newegg for 55$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2012 9:26:08 AM

Here is mine tell me your budget if it's less then $850 we are in trouble

m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 12:15:49 PM

now i see why people have had problems with the full size 160mm depth psu's that are fully modular. No room for the modular plugs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SILVERSTONE ST65F-G 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Compact 140mm Depth Design for Easy Intergration

If you want to use a fully modular power supply (which you do fully modular is much cleaner) you need to find one that is 140mm depth to allow enough room for modular plugs.

And I see you are getting a bundle deal but Asus's mini itx board is the best. It has the vertical vrm card to give it the same power delivery as a larger board as it makes room for the vrms on a vertical card. No one else has that in the mini itx form.

Also I think it's best to remove the 5.25" drive and use a 240mm water cooling setup such as the corsair h100i over putting a big unwieldy heatsink onto the mobo. Better performance and the heat goes directly out of the case, so only the gpu, ram, and mobo will leak heat into the case, helping the temps of everything else as well since the cpu heat is no longer inside the case.

Bigcyco, shouldn't the PSU be flipped upside down so the cooling fan is getting fresh cool air for the psu through the bottom vent on the case?
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:43:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! My budget is $800-$850 without the GPU. I will be adding a GPU when I can afford it.
So I need to look for modular PSUs under 140mm in depth?

The ASUS is kind of out of my budget. Is there anything that I can get cheaper to save money for the ASUS mobo?
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:52:01 PM

currently a 1tb seagate barracuda is going for 69.99.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2012 1:59:17 PM

Micro-ITX for overclocking and future-proofing? Good luck.

m
l
December 11, 2012 2:32:39 PM

twelve25 said:
Micro-ITX for overclocking and future-proofing? Good luck.

The processor can be upgraded if need be. With proper cooling, I can overclock and upgrade my graphics card when the time comes. I can also get new motherboards if I want to. Thanks for the support :) 
m
l
!