Connecting notebook to 3D monitor

aurashafa

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question so I apologize in advance if it's wrong.
I have a notebook ASUS G74SX with 3D vision support. But only has HDMI & VGA outputs.
My monitor is also ASUS VG236H. Apparently 3D vision only works via DVI-Dual Link, silly me.

I wanted to know if there is any way to connect my notebook to this monitor and be able to use 3D vision features?
Are there any adapters/converters to make this happen? Might there be any in the future?
I really don't want this to be a complete waste.

Also open to buying external DVI devices. I found one but I really don't understand how they work. Does my current GPU do all the process and external DVI is just a secondary output?

Thanks.

aurashafa

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Read something using a HDMI to DVI. But it doesn't support 120hz so I would only be getting 720p on 3D. But when I try to setup my 3D vision I get the red message that I'm using a source that does not support 3D. Anyone has any experience on doing this?

It's all over nvidia's and Asus's site that it supports 3D, and 3D out to TV
www.nvidia.in/object/product-geforce-gtx-560m-in.html

Asus clearly says it supports 3D out at 1080p at 120Hz. Newer hdmi specs are capable of this (how do you think 3D bluray works) so maybe you have an old hdmi cable not up to spec or a driver issue or something.

www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#overview

aurashafa

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
So basically I just need a HDMI 1.4 and connect my laptop to monitor's HDMI input or should I still be using a converter from HDMI to DVI?

aurashafa

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Ok I got a 1.4 HDMI cable. Tried it HDMI to HDMI and also used to DVI converter and tried HDMI to DVI. No matter what I got the red message that says 'attempt to run stereoscope 3d in non-stereoscope 3d display. My shutter glasses work for just a second then will stop working so I cannot finish the setup wizard. Any thoughts?

What he said.
There's no way that a laptop, even a decent gaming laptop, will be able to render 3d at 1080p without burning itself to a crisp.
So basically you're SOL unless you get a desktop with a good graphics card.

(Also, 120hz is the refresh rate - it refreshes at 120 frames a second. 720p is a resolution: 1280 × 720. It has nothing to do with the monitor's refresh rate.)

chugot9218

Honorable
I would guess a driver issue, it took one to get my PS3 to output 3d, and also, I don't think an HDMI 1.4 cable is necessary but of course they "recommend it" (aka, please, buy more of our expensive fancy sounding crap, don't get me started about HDMI for audio). But, I also kinda doubt that your GPU would be able to run 3d, I am fairly sure it needs to output at full 1080p for 3d, especially the "Active" version which uses the shutter glasses, and I cannot see a 560m being up to snuff.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hey look at that:

True-to-life 3D Video & Audio
with Creative EAX Advance HD 5.0 detects environments and actions to provide 3D corresponding sound effects THX TruStudio applies optimized audio scenarios to make games, music and movies sound more realistic

The G74SX is great for gaming, but its hardware is serious business. It offers the best 3D ecosystem for PCs, offering 3D content creation and editing. It’s powered with NVIDIA® 3D Vision™, so games, photos and movies are all able to be enjoyed like never before. There’s also the ability to output the G74SX to a 3D TV, so you can enjoy 3D entertainment from the living room. Pair that up with THX + EAX 5.0 3D gaming audio technology, and together they make the G74 not only a great gaming notebook, but also a hub for multimedia entertainment.

--

I don't know, man. I would watch 3D blu-rays on it or something, sure, but I wouldn't expect it to game in 3D with ease... considering you're basically outputting two of the same signal at whatever resolution you're trying to display at (which I am betting is 1080p). With it doing twice as much, you'll probably only get half of the normal performance.

In other words, good luck to you sir.