error caused by a device driver

i'm about 6 months new to the computer world. we have a
dell dimension 2400 with windows xp home edition pre-
installed. since my mcafee security center was about to
expire, i uninstalled it and downloaded norton internet
security 2004 trialware from symantec's site. that's
where the trouble began. trying not to spend money we
don't have & not calling symantec, i must have made some
configuration erroes in my firewall, because we couldn't
get online with our dial-up AOL. anyhow we are getting-
soon, i hope- Verizon DSL. and with it MSN premium that
includes mcafee services. until then i keep getting
messages from microsoft that say "your system has
recovered from a serios error- oh yeah--that's after i
uninstalled NIS2004. type of error: 3001349 error caused
by a device driver--which has to be the NIS trialware.
help! i have a whole list of codes & such, esp. minidump
from C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini 082904-01.dmp and
C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT`1\LOCALS`1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00
\sysdata.xml also this list BCCode 1000008e; BCP1
C0000005; BCP2 F072EEE3; BCP3 F024FAOC; BCP4
00000000; OSVer 5_1_2600; SP 1_0; and Product 768_1.
can anyone help--do i need to contact Dell Technical
Support?--or someone at Microsoft? should we just live
with this for a few days till we get Verizon DSL? or is
this something that needs to be addressed before that &
before i download Service Pack 2 & install it?

Ron

Very interesting. I have just copped the similar same of
error report and too was given the same nessage from
Microsoft that a device driver was the culprit. I have
only just built the computer custom build with MSI
Mainboard, Celeron 2.4ghz and 256mb Ram. All drivers and
Windows updates were done for SP1. I traced all the
drivers and found that a printer BJC210 was installed, I
uninstalled it and reinstalled using the WindowsXP Home
drivers and that was the last I saw of the error message.
This computer was working fine first day and then the
next day it powered on ok but would not boot into Windows
XP JUST LEFT WITH A BLANK SCREEN.At this stage it now
appears ok .The moral to my story for you is to
investiagte the device drivers thoroughly and you should
be able to ascertain which one is the cause. Have a look
at Event viewer in Control panel /Administrative
tools/Computer management for clues.
My suspicion is that the problems are caused by the
latest updates of Windows but at this stage I haven't got
enough knowledge of that fact to chase it any further.

Good Luck