New GPU / Monitor Idle

Healy2k

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi Guys

Got a problem with installing new GT640 asus nvidia 2gb GPU 3.0pci-e.

My monitor stays idle when powering up the computer and ive checked cables are correctly fitted and no beeps from motherboard. GPU is fitted/fixed and the fan is running.

Ive been told by the neighbour who builds pc's for a living that the GPU is to powerful for below specs and is the reason for monitor staying idle, is that right? Any advise would be greatful thanks.

AMD Phenom™ X4 9550 Quad-Core
AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset - 2.0 pci-e
4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (32-bit Edition)
Enermax Pro 82+ 625Watt Power Supply

Tell your neighbor that statement makes no sense what so ever. Your video card should work just fine with your setup.

So you never get a signal from your PC to your monitor at all? What kind of cable are you using? Also, does your monitor work with another device or pc?

Healy2k

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Yeh ive just read up online and it doesnt make any sense on what he said, the card isnt that decent anyway to be to powerful to run. Connects via vga connector as monitor only works with a vga connector, could try test it on my tv tonight using hdmi cable.

Nope theres no signal, monitor stays on standby.

I'll have to give it to a friend to test aswell if no luck with tv.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I would do exactly what you mentioned. Try the monitor on another system or laptop. Then that was a good idea if you can try your PC on your TV. If it has a VGA plug that would be helpful since it's what you use for your monitor.