Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build works out of the box but in the case no post, all fan spinning

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2012 1:30:15 PM

I am frustrated, my new build works out of the box, memory, cpu , mouse and keyboard all recognized by the bios.
When I install them into the case it turns on but no post, no beep, no power to keyboard and mouse.
Please help me, it must be a short into the case but all the standoffs are properly set..

December 11, 2012 7:53:48 PM

fernandino said:
I am frustrated, my new build works out of the box, memory, cpu , mouse and keyboard all recognized by the bios.
When I install them into the case it turns on but no post, no beep, no power to keyboard and mouse.
Please help me, it must be a short into the case but all the standoffs are properly set..

By the way, I have took it out of the case and everything is working perfectly, Ram, Dvd player and so.
I have installed win 7 pro and the system is rocking.
Any chance i will put it in my Rosewill Challenger gaming case one day?
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:57:31 PM

Best thing, take everything apart and try again.

Also, try it with NO case fans connected. (keep the cpu fan connected ofcourse)

NEVER ASSEMBLE ON CARPET.
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 8:01:50 PM

You did install ALL of the mobo risers that you need, and ONLY the mobo risers that you need into the case, right?
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:03:36 PM

Also, sometimes there are little plastic washers that you need to use to make sure there are no shorts, make sure that you used them where the mobo touches the mounting screws.
m
l

Best solution

December 11, 2012 8:14:32 PM

I had a similar problem, i transferred the guts of my main PC into a better case, When i turned it on it would power on for a few seconds then shut off then on then off then on then off, until i pulled the power. So what i did was breadbox the system, it worked, then i put it back in the case, same problem. So i just laid the mobo on the standoffs, no screws, and powered it on, it worked, so i started screwing the screws in one by one and checking to see if it boot after every single screw. The problem turned out to be my wireless card was pushing down too hard on the PCIex1 slot that it was in. So i moved it to a different slot and presto, it worked. I suggest you follow a similar, if not the exact, method i just described.
December 11, 2012 8:28:02 PM

austing said:
Best thing, take everything apart and try again.

Also, try it with NO case fans connected. (keep the cpu fan connected ofcourse)

NEVER ASSEMBLE ON CARPET.

Thank you but I have already tried with almost nothing connected and out of the box it is working with "everything connected, including 3 case fans, I tried just in case"
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:29:43 PM

ittimjones said:
You did install ALL of the mobo risers that you need, and ONLY the mobo risers that you need into the case, right?

Yes I did, just the right amount of those
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:30:28 PM

ittimjones said:
Also, sometimes there are little plastic washers that you need to use to make sure there are no shorts, make sure that you used them where the mobo touches the mounting screws.

The case didn't carry any plastic washer.
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:42:44 PM

MotherFerJones said:
I had a similar problem, i transferred the guts of my main PC into a better case, When i turned it on it would power on for a few seconds then shut off then on then off then on then off, until i pulled the power. So what i did was breadbox the system, it worked, then i put it back in the case, same problem. So i just laid the mobo on the standoffs, no screws, and powered it on, it worked, so i started screwing the screws in one by one and checking to see if it boot after every single screw. The problem turned out to be my wireless card was pushing down too hard on the PCIex1 slot that it was in. So i moved it to a different slot and presto, it worked. I suggest you follow a similar, if not the exact, method i just described.

+1 for this.
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:42:53 PM

MotherFerJones said:

Thank you, I guess I will try that.
I also noticed that the holes on the mobo are no alligned with the standoff holes by the millimeter, just a thought.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:22:39 PM

Best answer selected by fernandino.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:26:36 PM

MotherFerJones said:

Great catch buddy, indeed it was one of the seven screws making the system freeze.
I just skip it and with all the other screw (6 out 7) everything is working.
Not enough for RMA since Christmas is too close and my son wants his Computer by then.
I will find the way to put insulator rinds later on.
Thank you all for helping me and fix it the same day.
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:57:47 PM

Good to hear, and thanks for BA.
m
l
!