I suddenly can't run games?

Washthethrone

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Okay so I built my computer about half a month ago, and up to now its worked great. But today I decided to run far cry 3, the game booted up and everything worked fine for about 10 seconds then the frame rate dropped to that which was unplayable, and then my pc just shut down. I tried the same with skyrim, the same happened but I turned skyrim off before it could shut down.

My specs are:

2x4gb Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Intel Core i5 3470, 1155, Ivy Bridge
Gigabyte GA-B75m-D3V, Intel b75. S
2GB XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition
430W Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-4

I downloaded CPUID Hardware monitor, and the temperatures everything is currently at (not running any games) are..

http://imgur.com/E8svM

(the top is my motherboard)

Any help would be appreciated.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Wonder if you are pushing the power supply too hard. I think that the cx430 is 32 amps on the 12v+ rail which is respectable for entry level power supplies but I'm wondering if when that 7850 starts to draw current if that's what's causing shut downs.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Ivy bridge will shut down at 60 degrees. First check your errlog.dat file to see what killed the computer. You can google any unfamiliar codes. Faling that, might want to use the CPU monitor gadget to live monitor your temps. If I remember right you can tell it to autolog to a text file. Stock CPU cooler?

Washthethrone

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Just this second I used a cpu monitor gadget to see what it goes to when I run a game... After a couple of minutes of far cry 3 the thing shoots up to 100% CPU usage :\.

Also, where do I find the errlog.dat file?

Washthethrone

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Also I'd like to point out that last night I opened up to my case to improve my wire management, to get a better airflow.. But I didn't touch the CPU or anything like that.

Huh??? Ivy bridge won't shut down at 60c... it shuts down at ~105c .

Anyway if you are idling at 54c-89c (i would expect ~40c on stock cooler), something is wrong with your CPU cooler, You might want to try reapplying it and monitoring the fan speeds

Washthethrone

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Looks like that might have done the trick.. Playing skyrim now.. The cpu usage is averaging around 50%, and fps is fine so far. Will keep posted if this changes. Thanks alot guys.