Windows 7 - Bad Internet Speed Allocation

Xionor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I just reinstalled Windows 7 and installed all the Service Packs and Updates available.
I have a 12mbps ADSL line, on a router, I have the basic Windows Firewall on and im using Firefox.
However, unlike before, Windows has a very bad internet speed allocation right now.

For example, if I start loading a YouTube Video, while playing an online game like World of Warcraft, the computer game would absolutely freeze internet-wise, and then sporadically get "bursts" of connection every 20-30 seconds until it disconnects.

If I start loading 2 different videos, one from YouTube, one from Veoh, for example, one of them will eventually stop loading until a page reload.

Often small browser downloads that use up no more than 50-100 kb/s would again, freeze, if for example I've put something up on uTorrent.

Or uTorrent downloads, even at a speed limit, would cause both WoW and Firefox internet to freeze.

Is it possible to resolve the issue, so that Windows never "starves" one application over another?

sturm

Splendid
did you load the proper drivers for your NIC after the reinstall?
Windows 7 has basic drivers for most hardware, but you still need to load the "full" driver to get the best functionality out of it.

Xionor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Ah, Windows had a driver update for my NIC ready for download. Hope this fixes it. If not, will post again!