Your question

First Time noob $2,000-$2500 build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2012 3:30:44 PM

As the title says this will be my first ever PC, and my computer knowledge is basic at best. Luckily I have some friends that can help me out, and everything I read on this site says to build on my own. I have done a couple of builds through ibuypower, but if it's as easy as it sounds I would rather take the extra $300 or so and get better components. My goal is to be able to run games like battlefield 3 on Max settings (single monitor, probably a benq xl2420T)), and get 60+ FPS while recording. Outside of games, the computer will be used for basic editing (think youtube material), and normal day to day use. I would like to stay around $2,000 and possibly up to $2,500 which doesn't include monitor, mouse, or keyboard. Also keep in mind that I do plan on overclocking. Lastly I would like to futureproof myself as much as possible. Since this is my first build I do not want to constantly upgrade every year. My wife is being pretty flexible with the budget with the understanding upgrading will not need to happen for at least 2-3 years. I will list just a few components that I had in mind and maybe some questions I had about those components. I am located in the United States and this build will probably happen in the next 2 months, or 3 months at the latest.

Case - Thermaltake Armor Revo full size. Any other suggestions, or do I even need a full size?

Mother Board - Sabertooth Z77 intel series 7. Any other suggestions that may be better value for the money?

CPU - Intel i7-3770K

Memory - 16GB (8x2) DDR3-1600. Any recommendations on Brands (Corsair, Gskill), and is their an advantage of 4x4 over 8x2. I know this is one area where I can get away with 8gb for gaming, but for the small price differences I thought it would help to futureproof a bit.

System Drive - OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120GB. Any other suggestions?

Storage Drive - 2GB Western Digital. Any other suggestions?

Optical Drive - Lite on cheapo.

Cooling - Should i go liquid cooling. I need tons of help here.

Video Card - Need some help here. As I said I want to run max settings at 60FPS while recording. Will i need two graphics cards or can I get away with one. Unfortunately this is where the builds turn from the $2,000 range to the $3,000 range. Also is there any advantage within the next three years to buy a 2gb over a 4 gb card. Initially I was looking at GTX 680's however they can get expensive when running in SLI.

Power Supply - This will mainly depend on whether I will be running to cards or one.

Please feel free to add on or subtract anywhere possible. If I am wasting money somewhere, or certain brands offer a better cost savings then let me know. Being a total noob I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for the help.

More about : time noob 000 2500 build

December 11, 2012 4:14:37 PM

if you are not doing more than 3hrs of rendering and editing, the i7 is not deemed uiseful. but ill give you 16gb of ram

chucking your entire build out the window. better components for the money

here you go
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s0dU

-in all honesty, you can get around 70 fps at max settings with one 7970. the other one is to get the 120hz mark that you want with the benq.
-if you want to look at a slower but better image quality monitor i can provide that as well. just post
-if you need a keyboard recommendation, i can provide that as well. you would benefit from a mech keyboard
m
l
December 11, 2012 4:22:50 PM

You don't really need a full tower - they're nice to have but the mid towers sometimes have more room in the case. The Asus Sabertooth is overrated, expensive and not worth purchasing. No reason to go liquid cooling if you're not doing a full loop.

For that price I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2150.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-11 13:21 EST-0500)

Similar to Troll's build but I included a bigger and faster SSD and dual 670's as opposed to 7970 for the CUDA hardware acceleration which you will benefit from for your uses. I leave monitor and peripherals open ended as that's entirely personal preference.
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 4:48:49 PM

Within 2000$ :

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 OC Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($254.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2002.73
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies to far. Keep them coming. I am glad i asked because I knew I was overspending on certain things and wasting money.

@TheBigTroll - I would love to see your recommendations on a different monitor. I am not tied to the BenQ by any means. In fact I would like something with a better picture quaility. I am not worried about the response times for a competitive advantage as opposed to a visual one. I just want to stay away from ghosting/blurring during my gaming experience. For this build I am trying to makes these games visually stunning rather than give myself the competitive advantage. My biggest concern on the BenQ was spending this much money on a build to make a game run and look great, only to have a monitor not deliver the final result. I would say my budget for a monitor is $500 give or take. While you are at it what are your keyboard and mouse recs.
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:05:42 PM

Just a quick idea to throw into the mix, if you add 16GB more ram, you can setup a ram drive to record to (as long as 24GB is enough room for you). This would help ensure recording doesn't affect your performance any more than it has to.

Both great builds, but I'll throw in my 2 cents on them.
I like Troll's case and SSD choices, mostly because they are quite a lot cheaper.

The PSU is a tossup, but the XFX is bigger, cheaper, and Seasonic makes most XFX supplies (generally, haven't checked this one), gold efficiency won't save you the price difference; but if it reviews better, then perhaps it's worth the cost. (The seasonic is also modular, a bonus if that's important to you)

For what it's worth, even if you only get one GPU, you should grab a big enough PSU to run two (a solid 750w is fine), because it's much easier to grab the upgrade (you can always make the case that you are going to only buy one now and see if it works good enough, and let the wife know you may buy another in a year or two if you need it), having a PSU that allows for that option is a good idea imo.
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:09:44 PM

Best monitor and setup, for gaming at 2560x1440 with Super-IPS Professional monitor (the asus is really a good one), with i7+two 670gtx, best aircooler (performance/noise).

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.90 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair C70 Gunmetal Black (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($678.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2490.68
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:21:19 PM

guinner16 said:
Thanks for the replies to far. Keep them coming. I am glad i asked because I knew I was overspending on certain things and wasting money.

@TheBigTroll - I would love to see your recommendations on a different monitor. I am not tied to the BenQ by any means. In fact I would like something with a better picture quaility. I am not worried about the response times for a competitive advantage as opposed to a visual one. I just want to stay away from ghosting/blurring during my gaming experience. For this build I am trying to makes these games visually stunning rather than give myself the competitive advantage. My biggest concern on the BenQ was spending this much money on a build to make a game run and look great, only to have a monitor not deliver the final result. I would say my budget for a monitor is $500 give or take. While you are at it what are your keyboard and mouse recs.

You could always get one of those ultra high resolution monitors from Korea on eBay like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-High-Resoluti...
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:22:42 PM

Micro Center has a 27" Super IPS 2560x1440 monitor from a brand called "Auria" which they sell for only $400. I've had mine for about a month now and love it. I definitely recommend it - and it has an average of like 4.8 stars (out of 5) from other people on the Micro Center website. Just a thought.
Also, having owned both Nvidia and Radeon cards, I recommend Radeon. They tend to be more efficient in both power usage and heat generation.
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:33:56 PM

lokii_0 said:
Micro Center has a 27" Super IPS 2560x1440 monitor from a brand called "Auria" which they sell for only $400. I've had mine for about a month now and love it. I definitely recommend it - and it has an average of like 4.8 stars (out of 5) from other people on the Micro Center website. Just a thought.
Also, having owned both Nvidia and Radeon cards, I recommend Radeon. They tend to be more efficient in both power usage and heat generation.

Interesting, got a link to that? I'm in the market for a new monitor and I'd like to check it out. There's a Microcenter not too far from me.
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:34:49 PM

Just for craps and giggles I merged a couple of the builds and added in 2 GTX 680's sig series 2. I dont know why, but I am finding it hard to get off the GTX 680 since so many people rave about it. That is not to say I wont go in another direction because I will if it is the smart thing to do. My main concern is whether to go with gtx 670/80 or the sapphire radeon HD 7970 3gb. I have heard the the 7970 is more efficient in crossfire than the 670/80 in SLI, however does it still perform better. Also, if the GTX 600 series takes more power and runs warmer, will this set up be powerful enough and run cool enough. If the build can handle the heat and power usage I would prefer to have whichever set up is going to give me the best end result. Again, thank you. You guys are a huge help.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s0LR
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:48:27 PM

guinner16 said:
Just for craps and giggles I merged a couple of the builds and added in 2 GTX 680's sig series 2. I dont know why, but I am finding it hard to get off the GTX 680 since so many people rave about it. That is not to say I wont go in another direction because I will if it is the smart thing to do. My main concern is whether to go with gtx 670/80 or the sapphire radeon HD 7970 3gb. I have heard the the 7970 is more efficient in crossfire than the 670/80 in SLI, however does it still perform better. Also, if the GTX 600 series takes more power and runs warmer, will this set up be powerful enough and run cool enough. If the build can handle the heat and power usage I would prefer to have whichever set up is going to give me the best end result. Again, thank you. You guys are a huge help.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s0LR

The 670 and 680 use the exact same GK109 graphics processor. The only real difference between the two is that the 680 can achieve higher VRAM clock speeds but that's something that doesn't really matter in the long run. The Radeon 7970 is a great card but only if you get the higher clocked GHz edition. Otherwise go with a 680 or 670.
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:51:30 PM

Two 680 gtx sli not worth the price vs 670 gtx sli, for multi gpu sli is better, more smoothness, no micro-stuttering and better driver support vs amd multi gpu, and if going 670 gtx sli, the best will be with stock cooler reference, i put a build with two 670 gtx at 319$ each, it's worth it, in my opinion, if you planning to do video editing the i7 will be a better cpu, the mobo is debatable but the asrock z77 oc formula is the best mobo for about 200$, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE is slightly better in cooling and with less noise, also don't go with that ocz, the samsung 840 pro is the best ssd 256GB, if to save money then go with a samsung 830 256GB.
The case is way to much expensive for your needs, a nzxt phantom or corsair c70 fits the any cooler, three cards, etc.
Also a 750 plus silver will do just fine.

My suggestion without monitor :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s0tg
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:03:19 PM

That makes sense about the 680. I would prefer to take that $100-$200 and put it towards something else. Is there a big difference between the Galaxy cards and EVGA, or others. Will they both overclock the same. Again, I would like to save money where I can, but not while sacrificing the purpose of the build.
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:37:15 PM

Will perform about the same, the evga overclocks better, but price difference/performance not worth it, it's 120$ more the two cards.
I advice you to buy a 1440p ips monitor, if possible.
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:49:52 PM

I just put the mobo you liked, and best price/performance i could find (you can switch for an i5-3570k if you don't plan to do video editing/image editing), it leaves you with a good margin for a good monitor, even for a 1440p one :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s1qc
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:59:34 PM

I wish you people wouldn't suggest so many 670's. 7970's outperform 680's and are closer in price to the 670. 7970's in our out of SLI will destroy the nVidia cards in most games. The few perks of nVidia aren't worth the price/performance loss. i5 3570k, noctua cooler, and 2x 7970's is what you should get. almost all the other parts ae entirely personal preference. I mostly skimmed after the first 3 people to suggest nVidia cards, so sorry if this has been said. No fanboyism intended, but currently Radeon is doing better in the gpu market.
EDIT: I personally recommend this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I can't stand IPS, but meh. Monitor is kinda personal preference. 24 inch just doesn't cut it for me.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:17:59 PM

Zed_Spooge said:
I wish you people wouldn't suggest so many 670's. 7970's outperform 680's and are closer in price to the 670. 7970's in our out of SLI will destroy the nVidia cards in most games. [....]
EDIT: I personally recommend this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't want to nitpick too much, but I think it's the 7970Ghz Edition that tops the 680, the standard clocked ones need to be overclocked to do so (still possible, but then you get into a big argument about who's dad would win in a fight when you overclock them both).

Also I want to point out the irony that you linked a 3d vision equipped monitor (with glasses), after denouncing the nVidia cards (which I don't disagree with). I would assume you intended to link a non-3d-vision version of the monitor?
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:22:13 PM

I didn't really notice. I searched 27" 120hz Asus monitor on newegg because that's what I was going to recommend, and trusted newegg to not be a douche. Oh well. And it's not like the OC's cost too much more. Totally worth it IMO. I has am 7870's in 2 builds and got a 7950 in the latest tho, so I can't speak for 7970's a whole lot. I've done my research tho ;p
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:31:38 PM

I meant for multi gpu, i know that the 7970 runs better than the 670/680( only the ghz edition), but for multi gpu the noise/heat/temps are worse with 7970, it's a nightmare with some ghz editions with crossfire in terms of whine coil,you'll have better fps with crossfire setup of 7970, but in real word not just aiming for benchmarks, the sli setup is better it's more smooth, much less micro-stuttering, and better driver support for multi gpu with nvidia, and you can get two 670 for 640$, two 7970 costs about 760$ (non ghz edition), if ghz edition is about 900$.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:35:31 PM

Ok. So here is where I am at. I went with the seasonic modular power supply. I like the idea of not using the wires i dont need and it still falls within my budget. I also went with the NZXT phantom case because.....it just looks cooler. If i am spending this type of money I want it to at least look cool (lol). I only plan on editing maybe a few hours a week so the i7-3770K is still up for debate. If it is a good futureproof if i will keep it, if not I won't lose any sleep over it. Since you guys saved me money in other areas I have some extra money to spend on a monitor. What are your thoughts on the Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($680) and the Dell U2711 ($790). Both look like they have acceptable lag input times. Keep in mind I am not a pompetitive gamer. Having said that I dont want noticble ghosting or disadvantages while still making the game look amazing.

Lastly, I have not totally made up my mind regarding nvidia or amd. I am leaning towards the 670's right now because of the price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:44:26 PM

such bs. I am speechless.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:48:33 PM

Asus PB278Q will be good for gaming, you'll not experience ghosting(it's expensive though, they say you can find some 1440p ips cheaper on ebay, i don't know for sure)
Yes, the case, it goes with the buyers preference, the psu if you want fully modular then go with that seasonic.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:51:35 PM

there isnt any point of a full modular unit if you are using all the attached cables from the semi-modular unit

id just get a 1080p screen. dont see paying 400 dollars more for not that many more pixels
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:52:13 PM

Zed_Spooge said:
such bs. I am speechless.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/04/gtx_680_vs_ra...

"[...]AMD and NVIDIA are in a bare knuckled fight this holiday season to earn your GPU dollars. If you asked me what I would personally put in my system this holiday season for gaming, I would go with GTX 680 SLI. The price is right, and you get that sweet smoothness advantage that only NVIDIA seems to be able to provide in multi-GPU configurations; AMD just hasn't quite yet licked this issue with CrossFireX." as in Tuesday , December 04, 2012

And there's no denying that the 7970 consumes more power, produce more heat, and makes loud noise especially in crossfire.
m
l
December 11, 2012 7:59:37 PM

THIS IS ME, RAGE QUITTING LIFE. ;w;
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:05:27 PM

You're likely spending way to much money for 60+ frames in BF3.

As far as *future-proof* . . . . .

Radeon Sea Islands is rolling out in a matter of weeks.

m
l
December 11, 2012 8:49:20 PM

For a 1440p it's better two gpu's and for 640$ it's worth it :

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

2560x1600 ( i know at 2560x1440 wil gain more a few fps) farcry 3 ultra dx11 only the dual gpu 690 gtx can get ~60 fps, two 670 gtx sli performs about the same.
For crysis 3(probably one of the most demanding games for 2013), for e.g. i bet a single card(single gpu) will not get 60 fps maxout at 1440p
And for amd fanboys/trolls, nvidia has good high end gpus too.

m
l
December 11, 2012 9:03:22 PM

2 680s is pretty stupid. better off with a 7970 or a 670 crossfire or SLI
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:09:10 PM

I decided to get AMD involved in a build. I thought it would be too much money for GHz editions, but I stole some ideas from the Hi End PC sticky and came up with the following. I know there will be comments about the monitor, but it is important for me to have great visual quality combined with low input lag. I also want to be able to game at 2560x1440. Also, will the Gskillz fit with the cooler. I have heard there can be clearance issues with the Phantec cooler. Let me know which build you think is better, or if they both suck.

AMD
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/saJI

Nvidia
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s9sA
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:20:41 PM

I'd go with the nvidia like i said, the 7970 will perform better in crossfire, but in real games for multi gpu what counts is stability, smoothness counts and driver support and the nvidia has them all, also a 670 sli setuo is already good enough for 1440p at 60 fps maxout, so get the cheapest and with more stability.
As for the psu it is very expensive for what you need, the corsair hx750 will do, and it's modular and with great quality.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/saTT

Also if you need to stay bellow 2500$, get the i5-3570k.
If not then, you just need to order it and good luck.
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:44:55 PM

guinner16 said:
I decided to get AMD involved in a build. I thought it would be too much money for GHz editions, but I stole some ideas from the Hi End PC sticky and came up with the following. I know there will be comments about the monitor, but it is important for me to have great visual quality combined with low input lag. I also want to be able to game at 2560x1440. Also, will the Gskillz fit with the cooler. I have heard there can be clearance issues with the Phantec cooler. Let me know which build you think is better, or if they both suck.

AMD
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/saJI

Nvidia
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s9sA

id get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sb7M

nvidia isnt that great at high resolutions.
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:46:01 PM

also, saying crossfire is not as stable is not even close to true. both driver teams are hard at work and currently it seems amd is cranking out more stuff.
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:52:33 PM

Nvidia is much, much better at running BF3. Plus, there have been a lot of problems with Crossfire and BF3
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:00:35 PM

sure there is. and im basing it off my experience with both my 670 and my friends 7870 in cf.
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:01:33 PM

^This, saying that two 670 gtx sli won't be good at higher resolution is to be a ignorant or trolling.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...

Browse the games, the 670 gtx sli gets ~60 fps in every game @1440p or better, also the scaling performance is better with nvidia.

"AMD and NVIDIA are in a bare knuckled fight this holiday season to earn your GPU dollars. If you asked me what I would personally put in my system this holiday season for gaming, I would go with GTX 680 SLI. The price is right, and you get that sweet smoothness advantage that only NVIDIA seems to be able to provide in multi-GPU configurations; AMD just hasn't quite yet licked this issue with CrossFireX"

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/04/gtx_680_vs_ra...

Like i said, he's not a benchmarker, and in real games i'd stick with a 670 gtx sli setup, it's cheaper, better driver support, better scalling, the 670 gtx sli setup is the bang for the buck in multi gpu setups.
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:43:22 PM

I went with the GHZ editions due to seeing multiple sites where most argue the only card that can compete with a SLI 670/680 is the GHz edition. Most people said they would always pick the SLI 670 over a standard 7970, but a Ghz edition would change their considerations. Once thing I found suprising is the high end gaming sticky on this sub-forum. This thread was updated just a few weeks ago, and nearly every person in their recommended AMD. Now just a couple of weeks later some of those same people are recommending Nvidia. Is there something that happened in the past few weeks that changed their mind.
m
l
December 12, 2012 8:00:55 PM

new driver from nvidia. 310.70 i think
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:12:12 PM

I was actually kind of excited when I was putting this together because I kept finding good deal deals, which also made it kind of time consuming because I was able to upgrade things. I'd say if this isn't the best it's damn near the best you can do for around $2,000.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/scpJ

I need to explain a couple of things:
-The power supply is a bit overkill, but it's a good deal a d you have expandability. It shows it as $230, but on Newegg they have a promo code and it's only $180.
-The motherboard is very expensive, but it's top of the line. Plus it comes with 8GB of RAM, so that saves you $40.
-The video card is quite expensive, but I just put an ROG because of the motherboard. You could find better deals from EVGA cards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp43677k... -Better for the same price

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42670k... -Same thing for less

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42676k... -Better for cheaper

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42673k... -Much better, for a little more.

So the price can range from $1875-$2010. With these savings you can upgrade your CPU, get more or better SSDs, upgrade your case for better air flow, buy a monitor, the options are limitless. This gives you a lot of wiggle room for other things.
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:27:41 PM

What is the general consensus on the MSI GTX 670 PE OC. It looks like it beats the EVGA version on a lot of benchmarks, and it run cooler and quieter. After looking it up it is only $20 more per card than the galaxy card $339 with mail in rebate. From what I can see it may be the best factory overclocked version, but let me know your thoughts.
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:49:35 PM

it is the best, until nvidia made msi turn off unlocked voltage on their new batches of cards. its still pretty good though

but overvolting does cause shortening of card lifespan
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:57:44 PM

Yes, msi pe 670 gtx is a good card, but with the overvolting thing i wouldn't recommend.
Now if you want a more powerful 670 gtx, get the evga 670 FTW it has the 680 gtx pcb, it overclocks well both for sli and for sli setups is better the stock cooler.
Just see the best price for sli/crossfire, you'll not miss much performance between the 670 gtx sli or 7970 sli with 1440p
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:59:02 PM

TheBigTroll said:
it is the best, until nvidia made msi turn off unlocked voltage on their new batches of cards. its still pretty good though

but overvolting does cause shortening of card lifespan

Yeah, I just read that article on this site about that. Even with Nvidia stepping in the cards does perform slightly better, but not anything noticable. The one thing I liked is its supposed ot run a bit cooler and quieter. For an extra few dollars I can live with that. Also, people are still saying it overclocks pretty well.
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:07:59 PM

djangoringo said:
Yes, msi pe 670 gtx is a good card, but with the overvolting thing i wouldn't recommend.
Now if you want a more powerful 670 gtx, get the evga 670 FTW it has the 680 gtx pcb, it overclocks well both for sli and for sli setups is better the stock cooler.
Just see the best price for sli/crossfire, you'll not miss much performance between the 670 gtx sli or 7970 sli with 1440p

msi custom pcb just destroys the 680 reference with a 670 on it. reference parts always have lower quality components (got coil whine on my gigabyte 670 windforce which uses a 680 pcb) than custom designs.

you also cannot say that a evga pcb is better than a gigabyte pcb or any other reference pcb since they use the same materials

also, the cooler on the msi will eat the 680 reference cooler for lunch. same goes for a gigabyte winforce
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:15:44 PM

You don't know what you're saying the pcb has nothing to do with cooling, windforce is custom cooling, the evga ftw has a vapor chamber, non reference cards dump the hot air inside the case (unlike reference cards like the EVGA that exhaust it outside of the case) non reference cards can cause a recycling effect were one card will dump the hot air and the other will suck that hot air back in, over long periods the heat builds up and negates the benefit of the cooler design. I'd only use a solution like that if it were totally open air with plenty of airflow and space between the cards.
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:20:51 PM

hmm. im getting 52c at 1100mhz on my windforce after 3 days of continuous folding inside a 550D (bad airflow case. its just bad)

i see your point about recycling hot air, but the only reason id get a ftw is when i have to do SLI in a matx case. otherwise a open air cooler would result in lower temps
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:06:42 AM

djangoringo said:
You don't know what you're saying the pcb has nothing to do with cooling, windforce is custom cooling, the evga ftw has a vapor chamber, non reference cards dump the hot air inside the case (unlike reference cards like the EVGA that exhaust it outside of the case) non reference cards can cause a recycling effect were one card will dump the hot air and the other will suck that hot air back in, over long periods the heat builds up and negates the benefit of the cooler design. I'd only use a solution like that if it were totally open air with plenty of airflow and space between the cards.

How some of that was worded got a little confusing for me. Are you saying the EVGA GTX 670 FTW is cooled similar to a reference card, and that is a bad thing. Or are you saying the card is cooled differently than a reference card, and its cooling method is a good thing. I pretty much have everything in my build nailed down now except the graphics card brand. I like the EVGA warranty and there are some pretty good claims about EVGA 670 FTW's overclocking ability. The only other undecided at this point is the monitor. I was going to get the previously mentioned Asus, however I am worried about the resolution. Will I be able to run the higher resolution on max setting with my setup, and not have any problems. Or am I better off sticking with a more traditional 1920x1080. I have 2 goals when it comes to a monitor. 1 I have to turn the monitor on and say, "Wow!!!! it was worth the money to build this rig cause (insert game here) looks amazing!!!" If not I may as well just build a middle of the road rig and run regular setting. Second the monitor must stay within a 5m or 6ms input lag at a worse case scenario. After looking at the Korean monitors, it doesn't look like they do that. I alsodo not want to buy something and get stuck with stuck or dead pixels. Even with the expensive Asus monitor I am within budget so keep that in mind when make a suggestion. Or...Let me know if the higher resolution will be no problem for me.

Here is where I am at right now, and keep in mind the Graphics card brand is undecided.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sefb

Edit: The first part of that post was directed at djang and anybody else can jump in on the rest.
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:14:00 AM

Honestly, you can't go wrong with two 670 gtx ftw, the board you have will not give much space between the two cards, unlike some eatx boards that have 4 or 3 pcie slots.
I see that your budget raised a little, but if you want a 1080p monitor stick with a single 7970 ghz or if you want 1440p get the 670 gtx sli(it's the cheapest multi gpu hi-end cards).
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:24:00 AM

Thanks. My original budget was $2,000 not including a monitor. My total budget is around $3,000 for everything including a monitor mouse, keyboard, and table. If i really need to go over a few dollars it isnt a big deal. Even in saying that we have to draw the line somewhere. Where the build is at right now leaves me enough room for those things to squeak in at $3,000. Do you have a different rec on a mother board?
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!