Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Trying to get a new build

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 11, 2012 4:40:54 PM

So my old build kinda got destroyed in a fire, so I gotta start back from scratch. I've got a general idea on what I want but I'm assuming there are a bunch of improvements I can make.

For the most part, my budget is somewhere around $1000, give or take a $100 or so. I've got a monitor already, and only planning to use that one at 1080p. I loaned my friend my 660 Ti before the fire, so I still have that. I'll also be taking my brother's sound card since he won't need it, so that's something else I won't need.

Primary use will be gaming/rendering and overclocking will be done if I feel that I need a bit more oomph. Most games include Skyrim, FarCry3, BF3, and w/e else comes out.

The parts I picked out so far are:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $894.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-11 13:37 EST-0500)

And this power suppy I couldn't find on pcpartpicker: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Does it look good? Any places to improve on?
Thanks in advance.

More about : build

December 11, 2012 4:46:50 PM

PSU is a little overkill, but it all looks great. Did you plan on SLI? I have a very similar build. I have heard bad things about OCZ ssd's so you may want to go with a different brand: Samsung, Crucial, Intel, etc.
m
0
l
December 11, 2012 4:49:22 PM

wanderer11 said:
PSU is a little overkill, but it all looks great. Did you plan on SLI? I have a very similar build. I have heard bad things about OCZ ssd's so you may want to go with a different brand: Samsung, Crucial, Intel, etc.

Was considering SLI later, maybe after Crysis 3 comes out or something. Not really a top priority, but yeah I'm considering it. Thanks on the ssd thought. I'll look around for something. As for PSU, just something I don't want to have to upgrade later. Don't want to be skimpy on it.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 4:49:36 PM

It looks like a good build to me. Some people might bash it, but I'm very impressed w/ my ASRock mobo, so even that is good.
Not sure if u need that much SSD space, but that's up to u. u might be able to shave some $$ off by getting a 128GB one, but that's really only enough room for an OS and C drive expansion over the years...
m
0
l
December 11, 2012 4:49:44 PM

wanderer11 said:
PSU is a little overkill, but it all looks great. Did you plan on SLI? I have a very similar build. I have heard bad things about OCZ ssd's so you may want to go with a different brand: Samsung, Crucial, Intel, etc.


I have a Vertex 4 and it's a fine drive. Intel is one brand of SSD I would not purchase on the other hand. I've had one of their drives and had nothing but problems with it. Intel *NEVER* updates the firmware for their drives either - the last updated that (sort of) worked was dated 2009 and there's been nothing to address problems since. The Agility 3 is Sandforce based and I'd avoid anything that's based on that controller. The Vertex 4 uses Indilinx and it performs on par with a Crucial M4.

The original build looks good. You don't need a sound card though since the onboard audio will do fine.
m
0
l
December 11, 2012 4:51:09 PM

In that case keep the psu. XFX make good stuff. The ssd is the only thing I would change. Out of curiousity, your old computer didn't cause the fire did it?
m
0
l
December 11, 2012 4:54:55 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I have a Vertex 4 and it's a fine drive. Intel is one brand of SSD I would not purchase on the other hand. I've had one of their drives and had nothing but problems with it. Intel *NEVER* updates the firmware for their drives either - the last updated that (sort of) worked was dated 2009 and there's been nothing to address problems since. The Agility 3 is Sandforce based and I'd avoid anything that's based on that controller. The Vertex 4 uses Indilinx and it performs on par with a Crucial M4.

The original build looks good. You don't need a sound card though since the onboard audio will do fine.


Thanks, I'll look into those.

wanderer11 said:
In that case keep the psu. XFX make good stuff. The ssd is the only thing I would change. Out of curiousity, your old computer didn't cause the fire did it?

Haha no. It started in the kitchen.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 11, 2012 4:58:25 PM

abarcan7 said:
Thanks, I'll look into those.


Intel drives may be popular but one thing they don't tell you is Intel's complete lack of support and driver updates for them. They pull the same crap with their motherboards too and refuse to change with the times. Gigabyte, Asrock, and Asus all have modern visual BIOS and drivers, where Intel uses the same text-based BIOS that they've had since the early 2000's. If you want other SSD recommendations I'd look into the Samsung 840, Plextor M5S, OCZ Vector (expensive but blazing fast), Corsair Neutron, and the ADATA SXG9000.
Share
December 11, 2012 5:06:38 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Intel drives may be popular but one thing they don't tell you is Intel's complete lack of support and driver updates for them. They pull the same crap with their motherboards too and refuse to change with the times. Gigabyte, Asrock, and Asus all have modern visual BIOS and drivers, where Intel uses the same text-based BIOS that they've had since the early 2000's. If you want other SSD recommendations I'd look into the Samsung 840, Plextor M5S, OCZ Vector (expensive but blazing fast), Corsair Neutron, and the ADATA SXG9000.


Thanks. Samsung 840 looks good, so I think I'll replace it with that.
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 2:31:58 PM

Best answer selected by abarcan7.
m
0
l
!