Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Part Compatibility check

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 11, 2012 5:00:39 PM

Hey everyone, so i've almost settled on my new build, but i'm not quite sure if everything is compatible.

my build: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


Leave any advice or suggestions you may have!
December 11, 2012 5:16:56 PM

Looks good to me. The only thing I think that build is missing is an SSD for OS and Apps. You have a stack of awesome parts, but the big thing with new builds, and even upgrades, is to use an SSD for fast OS and Application performance. It really makes a huge different in your PC experience. You can then leave the 1TB for data only. There is also the option to utilize the Intel SRT and use one as a cache drive.
Related resources
December 11, 2012 5:18:44 PM

I agree with tiny, but make sure your ram is low profile if you're willing to go with the nocturna, since the cooler is pretty huge.
December 11, 2012 5:41:56 PM

How big of an ssd would i need? would 64gb suffice? i'm pretty much capped out budget wise.

Also, the case is a big one, probably big enough for normal ram and the cooler i have picked out.
December 11, 2012 5:57:57 PM

iSpecialTime said:
How big of an ssd would i need? would 64gb suffice? i'm pretty much capped out budget wise.

Also, the case is a big one, probably big enough for normal ram and the cooler i have picked out.


Well, the only reason I said that is because the cooler actually covers 1 or 2 of the memory slots, so you need low profile memory to fit the the ram stick in the slot that is covered by the cooler.
December 11, 2012 6:02:49 PM

If that's the case, I'd rather find a different cooler. Or if you could help me find the appropriate ram, that would work too. :D 
December 11, 2012 6:07:18 PM

That works just fine.

Best solution

December 11, 2012 6:24:22 PM
Share

iSpecialTime said:
How big of an ssd would i need? would 64gb suffice? i'm pretty much capped out budget wise.

Also, the case is a big one, probably big enough for normal ram and the cooler i have picked out.


Honestly I would not get anything smaller than a 120/128GB SSD. It gives you enough room for the OS some apps and games. I have a 240GB and is already at 110GB. I have Windows 7, Office 2010, and a handful of games (6 or so).

By the way, what are you using this system for? If it is gaming, you can always trim it back to an i5 instead of an i7. You won't get much better performance with just hyperthreading. (which is what the i7 adds) You can also trim it back to 8GB or RAM instead of 16GB. Unless you are using apps that consume that much RAM it is just sitting there doing nothing.

For an SSD I'm a fan of the Intel drives. They are not the fastest, but are reliable. Samsung is also a good brand as well as the Crucial M4 drives. Here are a few with deals.

Intel 330 120GB $130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Samsung 840 120GB $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel 335 240GB $170 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, as far as the CPU cooler is concerned. The one you chose is fine if you are doing moderate overclocking. The Nocturna would be good if you are doing heavy overclocking. Otherwise, it is not necessary. Typically I go with the Cooler Master 212 Evo as a go to cooler for no or moderate overclocking in new systems.
December 11, 2012 6:30:35 PM

If I were doing this build, I would get a cheaper case, skip the hard drive, and get a 256g SSD.

If you are looking at having some available cash in the next couple months or so, I would skip the cooler and save up for a water solution so you can OC it (after doing any necessary research, of course). I'd also add in another HD for mass storage/backups as you can.
December 11, 2012 7:29:14 PM

jay2tall said:
Honestly I would not get anything smaller than a 120/128GB SSD. It gives you enough room for the OS some apps and games. I have a 240GB and is already at 110GB. I have Windows 7, Office 2010, and a handful of games (6 or so).

By the way, what are you using this system for? If it is gaming, you can always trim it back to an i5 instead of an i7. You won't get much better performance with just hyperthreading. (which is what the i7 adds) You can also trim it back to 8GB or RAM instead of 16GB. Unless you are using apps that consume that much RAM it is just sitting there doing nothing.

For an SSD I'm a fan of the Intel drives. They are not the fastest, but are reliable. Samsung is also a good brand as well as the Crucial M4 drives. Here are a few with deals.

Intel 330 120GB $130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Samsung 840 120GB $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel 335 240GB $170 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, as far as the CPU cooler is concerned. The one you chose is fine if you are doing moderate overclocking. The Nocturna would be good if you are doing heavy overclocking. Otherwise, it is not necessary. Typically I go with the Cooler Master 212 Evo as a go to cooler for no or moderate overclocking in new systems.


I may experiment with some minor OCing, I'm purchasing the intel protection for overclocking so i can fry 1 processor guilt free. :p 

I do a lot of gaming, hence the 670. And i do a lot of large 1080p video renders in sony vegas pro, which is why i'm choosing the i7 (i've heard that hyperthreading is good for multitasking processes, such as video rendering.

I would only OC up to a maximum of 4.5ghz. Would that still need the better cooler? I am a novice when it comes to the actual building of desktops, so i'm wary of using liquid cooling at the moment.

I've also found the 3770k core i7 for 220$ at a local tech shop, so i'll probably stick with that.
December 11, 2012 8:26:56 PM

Also, I have done some bargain hunting and i'm currently splitting my purchase across amazon, newegg, and microcenter.

Thanks to this, i may be able to squeeze a ssd into my budget.
December 11, 2012 9:51:45 PM

BTW. That motherboard you chose now is part of a RAM deal. You get 8GB or pretty nice RAM for FREE! bonus for you today.
December 11, 2012 9:55:50 PM

jay2tall said:
BTW. That motherboard you chose now is part of a RAM deal. You get 8GB or pretty nice RAM for FREE! bonus for you today.


Haha yeah i know, I plan on using the 8gb on my mothers pc when i get home for winter break. :p 
December 19, 2012 12:21:55 AM

Best answer selected by iSpecialTime.
!