Sign in with
Your question

Shall i get a radeon 7870 or gtx 660 TI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2012 5:11:03 PM

I am looking for the last component for my new build. It is going to be going with a i5 3570k and was looking for a gpu around £200..

Which is the best to get a 660 ti or a 7870.

I am from the UK

the 7870 is around £60 cheaper than the 7870.. but if it's worth it i would rather get the 660 ti.

does anyone know what the best model is too for the money at the moment or any other gpu's that would be better to get

More about : radeon 7870 gtx 660

a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 5:22:19 PM

Related resources
October 22, 2012 5:26:35 PM

Guys im from the UK do you have any uk website links
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 5:33:23 PM

The 660ti is more powerful, but not by much especially with how the 12.11 drivers look. The 7870 is a much better value. Sapphire makes a good card.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 5:41:00 PM

You can't ever go wrong with Sapphire. You're good to go.
October 22, 2012 5:43:40 PM

ilysaml said:
Quote:
the 7870 is around £60 cheaper than the 7870.

?????
GTX 660ti is about 5-7% faster than HD 7870 but $100-$150 more expensive than HD 7870.
See if u can get this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are you high?

GTX 660 ti superclocked

This is only $50 more than the 7850. Both come with $20 MIR.

Comparison

Me personally, I would rather spend a little more to get a little more. These aren't exactly low end GPU's, and from what I can see the GTX 660 ti out performs the 7870 on the majority of games. If this was my choice I would spend the extra $ and get the 660 ti. You could even save $10 bucks or so and get the 660 ti that isn't superclocked since these benchmarks are stock vs stock. (sorry OP i don't do well with other currencies.)
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 5:59:58 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Are you high?

GTX 660 ti superclocked

This is only $50 more than the 7850. Both come with $20 MIR.

Comparison

Me personally, I would rather spend a little more to get a little more. These aren't exactly low end GPU's, and from what I can see the GTX 660 ti out performs the 7870 on the majority of games. If this was my choice I would spend the extra $ and get the 660 ti. You could even save $10 bucks or so and get the 660 ti that isn't superclocked since these benchmarks are stock vs stock. (sorry OP i don't do well with other currencies.)

Oh Gosh!!
Was I mistaken?
Right now you can get HD 7870 as low as $200 on newegg, some GTx 660ti retailing for $339-$350. Are you good at math though?
Regarding the performance;

Can you see the HD 7870 on top of GTX 660ti???
folks started to yelling and it turned out to be GTX 660ti 7-10% faster than HD 7870 and on par with HD 7950 according to guru3d and techpowerup reviews.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 6:02:28 PM

ilysaml said:
Oh Gosh!!
Was I mistaken?
Right now you can get HD 7870 as low as $200 on newegg, some GTx 660ti retailing for $339-$350. Are you good at math though?
Regarding the performance;
http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/V/348979/original/Average%20Perf.png
folks started to yelling and it turned out to be GTX 660ti 7% faster than HD 7870 and on par with HD 7950 according to guru3d and techpowerup reviews.

It also looks like the 12.11 drivers are really boosting 7xxx series performance.
October 22, 2012 6:14:20 PM

ilysaml said:
Oh Gosh!!
Was I mistaken?

folks started to yelling and it turned out to be GTX 660ti 7% faster than HD 7870 and on par with HD 7950 according to guru3d and techpowerup reviews.

Look at the resolutions moron. Nearly any card runs outstanding if you drop the resolution down to the size of a 14" laptop screen. Lets try simple math, try and keep up ok?

7870 you posted $259.99

660 ti I posted $299.99 (when placed in cart comes with $10 instant savings)

So now are you still with me? Keep it up just a little longer: $299.99 - $259.99 = $40.00 (use a calculator, I know you will need to)

Oh and look at this, the 660 ti comes with free shipping, so the 7870 actually costs an additional $7.65 (I know I am about to loose you so ask someone for directions)

This makes the 660 ti $32.35 more expensive than the 7870 (at least in the states, can't speak for UK and such). $32 bucks is chicken scratch when buying a card of this caliber. Furthermore, My comparisons are giving you exact game statistics instead of "oh just average". I doubt the OP wants to be running 1920 x 1080 forever, and if you look at the charts I put up the resolutions go beyond this. Not to mention it is my opinion that I would buy this card, not once did I state "the 660 ti is better than the 7870", I said "from what I can see". I mean god damn why are people like you so stupid? Yes whatever ban me for it, at this point it would be worth it.

a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 6:14:23 PM

Same thing I always say...Check the benchmarks for the games you like and pick the one that comes out on top in the resolution that you play at. Both are good cards, but AMD has brought out some impressive drivers the last two times so make sure you check up to date benchmarks.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 6:14:24 PM

That's right too, a huge performance gain in BF3 and the new titles. Saw it today at the morning.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 6:25:00 PM

I talked about the difference in prices in general, never stated specific ones. And when I linked the card i linked it for the specs and quality not of the price.
I don't know what's hell r u talking about "the resolution story"

No i'm not gonna report you, i'm gonna forgive you because you still need too much time to learn.
October 22, 2012 6:28:41 PM

Obviously you need to look at that in the mirror too if you don't know that screen resolution directly impacts performance.
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 6:38:27 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Look at the resolutions moron. Nearly any card runs outstanding if you drop the resolution down to the size of a 14" laptop screen. Lets try simple math, try and keep up ok?

7870 you posted $259.99

660 ti I posted $299.99 (when placed in cart comes with $10 instant savings)

So now are you still with me? Keep it up just a little longer: $299.99 - $259.99 = $40.00 (use a calculator, I know you will need to)

Oh and look at this, the 660 ti comes with free shipping, so the 7870 actually costs an additional $7.65 (I know I am about to loose you so ask someone for directions)

This makes the 660 ti $32.35 more expensive than the 7870 (at least in the states, can't speak for UK and such). $32 bucks is chicken scratch when buying a card of this caliber. Furthermore, My comparisons are giving you exact game statistics instead of "oh just average". I doubt the OP wants to be running 1920 x 1080 forever, and if you look at the charts I put up the resolutions go beyond this. Not to mention it is my opinion that I would buy this card, not once did I state "the 660 ti is better than the 7870", I said "from what I can see". I mean god damn why are people like you so stupid? Yes whatever ban me for it, at this point it would be worth it.

Well I'll say one thing... you type a lot for someone who provides rather little in the way of evidence.

Truth is that the higher resolutions actually benefit the Radeon HD 7870 2GB moreso than the 660 Ti 2GB (notice the 660 Ti advantage shrink as the resolution goes up?). Are you going to accept these results or change your arguments in order to suit your preconceived conclusions?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

1680x1050?

1920x1080?

2560x1600?

In light of these results I'm inclined to accept the notion that a Radeon HD 7870 2GB gives you GeForce 660 Ti 2GB performance for less money. It is the better buy.
October 22, 2012 8:19:24 PM

I am sorry ElMoIsEviL, but 'relative performance' and 'average performance' really arent the best way to go. maestro0428 has the right idea and go for specific benchmarks for the game/s you are going to play. Some games play better with Nvidia, some play better with AMD. dyc4ha also has the better idea of waiting until the 12.11 driver comes out. That is why I favor a comparison like mine because it actually shows a breakdown of how each game handles. That is truely what you want to look for IMO. I am not saying the 7870 is a bad card, nor am I saying the 660 ti is better than AMD. If really was going to buy one or the other I would be pulling a whole lot of benchmarks, not just the two you and I pulled. "from what I can see" I based it on a benchmark site that I have bookmarked. My main argument for this whole thing that the price differnce is not an argument. Between these two cards the only deciding factor should be performance.
October 22, 2012 8:22:24 PM

Example, and I could be wrong about this because I play neither, BF3 favors Nvidia, but Crysis favors AMD.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 8:29:04 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
My main argument for this whole thing that the price differnce is not an argument. Between these two cards the only deciding factor should be performance.

Gigabyte HD 7870 Windforce 3X FO $240 after MIR
Gigabyte GTX 660ti Windforce 3X little FO $350

$110 difference, in exchange of minor performance increase, who said price isn't a determinant factor?
October 22, 2012 8:53:07 PM

Honestly dude...your an idiot....Your comparing a blown out 660 ti with 3 gigs of vram to a run of the mill Gigabyte 7870. Compare a normal 7870 to a normal 660 ti:

Like this one that is similiar which, you obviously need a calculator to figure out because I must have lost you last time around. It's a $32 difference, $32 is not a deciding factor, $32 is not a game changer, $32 will not break the bank, if you cannot afford $32 then you should not be considering either of these cards.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 9:11:23 PM

Ok, as long as you can't keep the discussion nicely and free of bad words, i'm not discussing anymore.
a c 528 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 9:28:16 PM

Lets knock off the insults!
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 10:42:14 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
My main argument for this whole thing that the price differnce is not an argument. Between these two cards the only deciding factor should be performance.

This is a horrible statement to even say. If the price difference is not an argument, then why even bring it up? In general, the difference in prices are indeed about $50 or more. If we need to throw it in there, my 7870 cost $196 over a month ago, but that was a really good sale - much like a 660Ti (vanilla) going for ~$260 at the moment. Using the same mentality, why not spend a "little" more and get a 7950 (recently $270!!!)? Or a "little" more and get a GTX670? Point is, the consumer has to draw a line unless they cannot see the bottom of their pocket and money is no object (very few candidates apply btw). Going off the rest of your post though, you're right about performance being important, but average prices need to be factored in and not good deals vs average deals. Raw performance, the Hd7000 cards are offering better bang for the buck for a given dollar amount as far as performance is concerned. Conversely, if certain features are more important to you like PhysX (even though more games utilize the Havok physics engine), 3D gaming, or CUDA programming, then Nvidia has you covered for the premium you pay for it.

@dyc4ha
That's an interesting read, it definitely becomes a game changer especially for those diehard BF3 players wanting the best for that game.
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 11:36:28 PM

matt_b said:
This is a horrible statement to even say. If the price difference is not an argument, then why even bring it up? In general, the difference in prices are indeed about $50 or more. If we need to throw it in there, my 7870 cost $196 over a month ago, but that was a really good sale - much like a 660Ti (vanilla) going for ~$260 at the moment. Using the same mentality, why not spend a "little" more and get a 7950 (recently $270!!!)? Or a "little" more and get a GTX670? Point is, the consumer has to draw a line unless they cannot see the bottom of their pocket and money is no object (very few candidates apply btw). Going off the rest of your post though, you're right about performance being important, but average prices need to be factored in and not good deals vs average deals. Raw performance, the Hd7000 cards are offering better bang for the buck for a given dollar amount as far as performance is concerned. Conversely, if certain features are more important to you like PhysX (even though more games utilize the Havok physics engine), 3D gaming, or CUDA programming, then Nvidia has you covered for the premium you pay for it.

@dyc4ha
That's an interesting read, it definitely becomes a game changer especially for those diehard BF3 players wanting the best for that game.

Right on! matt_b
October 23, 2012 12:27:28 AM

If I may just add one more point: OP, if you are interested in any of those games in AMD's bundle, or games that were noticeably improved on CAT 12.11, then I think with 7870 being less costly overall is your better option.

@DarkOutlaw Thanks for the reply. May I also kindly remind you that a lot of benchmarks are dated purely because of updated drivers; they no longer paint an accurate picture. Anand's benchmarks in my link I think are the most up-to-date ones as far as I know.

@matt_b Thanks for the reply. I also want to highlight that in Anand's bench, it was the vanilla 7970, meaning the 7970 Ghz edition would outperform the 680 in BF3! That personally got me very excited, and happy for AMD. I welcome intense competition, a win for the consumers!
October 23, 2012 12:58:27 PM

matt_b said:
This is a horrible statement to even say. If the price difference is not an argument, then why even bring it up?

Technically I didn't bring it up, the other dude spouting out about how the 660 ti was some $150 more expensive did. My statement was right on the money. You are comparing two items that are nearly identical in price, therefore price should not be a factor. If you wanna compare the 7870 to a 670 then yes, obviously price is a huge factor, but comparing the price of two $250 - $300 cards with a price difference of about $30 is pointless. $30 should not be a deciding factor.

a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:05:37 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Example, and I could be wrong about this because I play neither, BF3 favors Nvidia, but Crysis favors AMD.

Quote:

BF3 does not favor nVIDIA anymore. With the Catalyst 12.11 driver Battlefield 3 now favors AMD in any given market space (determined by selling price). In my view you also can't go on simply comparing performance and not factoring in costs if you're not buying the fastest or slowest card on the market (if not buying the extremes).

When in the market to buy a new graphics card... the moment you choose not to buy the top performing cards (GTX 680 or a 7970 GHz Edition for example) is the moment you declare yourself to be in the price/performance "market space".

We're talking a Geforce 660 Ti vs a Radeon HD 7870. Neither are the absolute highend cards. Therefore in order to compare them we not only compare their performance but also their pricing relative to said performance. The performance will indicate the standing each card has compared to the other (hierarchical performance standing). The price will determine if both cards are in the same "market space". Cards of differing prices are not competing in the same market space.

What we find is that the Radeon HD 7870 2GB has performance similar to the GeForce 660 Ti 2GB while being in a different market space (price range). The Radeon HD 7870 is less expensive. A nearly identical performance figure for a lower price point makes a graphics card a rather attractive purchase wouldn't you agree? A Bargain, A Deal.

For your perspective: "My main argument for this whole thing that the price differnce is not an argument" to be correct would be for one to assume that it is logical and rational to make purchasing decisions based on brand loyalty as the main purchasing factor (starting point). I mean of course, with that sort of perspective, price wouldn't matter between differing competitors because you don't care about other competitors your starting point is based on a brand loyalty. I mean am I wrong to assume that you look at the nVIDIA lineup and pick a card that is within your budget? Seems to be how you make a purchasing decision. I do not hold any brand loyalties but I do have preferences yet those preferences do not remain if they're no longer factually valid in the real world. For example I used to prefer nVIDIA for their more stable drivers (way back when). Now drivers are no longer an issue between nVIDIA or AMD. Both have faults and perks. Both will have some instabilities and their fair share of troubleshooting nightmares from time to time.

I think that price is a very valid purchase-enducing reason (for someone not buying at the extremes). Therefore I would factor in pricing relative to performance as being a more reasonable starting point when making a purchasing decision (ignoring brand loyalties). This would have me gauging all the competitors, in a given market space, and selecting the product, irrespective of the brand, that best meets my needs. I'm not after street cred or popularity either so a brand that is well accepted in Popular Culture doesn't really affect me. It is really about getting the most bang for my buck or the most bang period (as I tend to buy at the extremes).

I will give you that the benchmark images I posted do show an average performance across various Game titles and I will agree with you that gauging gaming performance based on the games you play is a more logical approach. I don't deny that and I didn't deny that in my original post. I think this is an assumption you're making based on the images I linked. Worth mentioning that I also posted a link to the full review which contains a breakdown of gaming performance on a per title basis across various resolutions and settings. If you glance at that you will undoubtedly notice that the Radeon HD 7870 2GB is a VERY attractive card and this is especially true post Catalyst 12.11 drivers.
October 23, 2012 1:31:15 PM

No it is not, and yes you are wrong. I have simply said, and still do say, get the side by side benchmarks and buy the better card. If the 660 ti benchmarks better, buy it. If the 12.11 Catalyst drivers bench better, buy the 7870.

No where in this statement is price mentioned, nor should it be. If the OP can afford both cards this is the only thing he should be concerned with.

Edit: Sorry you bumped the original quote which changed when I quoted, and now I can't find what I originally responeded to. Not sure wth just happened but both these cards are in the same price bracket.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:57:17 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
No it is not, and yes you are wrong. I have simply said, and still do say, get the side by side benchmarks and buy the better card. If the 660 ti benchmarks better, buy it. If the 12.11 Catalyst drivers bench better, buy the 7870.

No where in this statement is price mentioned, nor should it be. If the OP can afford both cards this is the only thing he should be concerned with.

Edit: Sorry you bumped the original quote which changed when I quoted, and now I can't find what I originally responeded to. Not sure wth just happened but both these cards are in the same price bracket.

I have a hard time justifying a 3% performance increase for 33% price increase. Something about that just strikes me as foolish.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:59:27 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

They're not in the same price bracket though as a GeForce GTX 660 Ti is around $70 more. To put that into perspective that is a similar difference found between a Radeon HD 7950 and a 7970 price wise on both newegg and ncix (~$80 difference between cheapest models).

Newegg.com GeForce GTX 660 Ti Listing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
= Starting Price: $299.99

Newegg.com Radeon HD 7870 Listing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
= Starting Price: $229.99

Ncix.com GeForce GTX 660 Ti Listing: http://us.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=GeForce+GTX+6...
= Starting Price: $309.99

Ncix.com Radeon HD 7870 Listing: http://us.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=Radeon+HD+787...
= Starting Price: $237.99
October 23, 2012 4:44:19 PM

I am going to give my 2c: 7870 and 660Ti are close enough on benchmarks regarding BF3. 7870 and 660Ti are seperated by a significant ($70+)price gap. I think it is better to go for the 7870 for the most bang for your buck.
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 5:05:07 PM

egilbe said:
I have a hard time justifying a 3% performance increase for 33% price increase. Something about that just strikes me as foolish.

^ Agreed!
October 23, 2012 8:13:18 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
They're not in the same price bracket though as a GeForce GTX 660 Ti is around $70 more. To put that into perspective that is a similar difference found between a Radeon HD 7950 and a 7970 price wise on both newegg and ncix (~$80 difference between cheapest models).

If you would place your trust in PowerCooler or XFX thats great, but you wont. You will probably buy at least the Sapphire ($249.99) or more realistically the MSI ($259.99 and would be my choice of 7870's), two reliable solid companies. Like EVGA (299.99) which you are again only talking about a $40 or $50 difference. Soon the 660 ti will probably drop again, because before it's biggest selling point was a good and free $59.99 game with purchase. Take into consideration Borderlands 2 free technically dropped the price of the 660 ti to $240.00, making it 'cheaper' than the MSI 7870.

dyc4ha said:
I am going to give my 2c: 7870 and 660Ti are close enough on benchmarks regarding BF3. 7870 and 660Ti are seperated by a significant ($70+)price gap. I think it is better to go for the 7870 for the most bang for your buck.

Yes I can agree with that. Take into consideration the christmas season is about to start. Both companies will be trying to push cards out the door soon, it might be very worthwhile to wait 2-4 weeks and see what happens.

Both these companies are dishing out nice blows at each other, and the coming months will be real interesting in the GPU market.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 10:43:41 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Technically I didn't bring it up, the other dude spouting out about how the 660 ti was some $150 more expensive did. My statement was right on the money. You are comparing two items that are nearly identical in price, therefore price should not be a factor. If you wanna compare the 7870 to a 670 then yes, obviously price is a huge factor, but comparing the price of two $250 - $300 cards with a price difference of about $30 is pointless. $30 should not be a deciding factor.

To be perfectly fair, here is the breakdown:
The 7870 is priced MOST closely to the very forgotten GTX 660 (non Ti) card. The 660Ti averages $50 (or more) than the 7870, yet the 7870 performs identical in some aspects (not including 12.11 drivers), and slightly below in others to the 660Ti. Going back to pricing though, for roughly the same price point, the 7870 performs much better than the 660, but Nvidia has the pricing on their cards inflated for the "value" features they try to offer you.

Going back to pricing, and the 660Ti being "only" $32 more than the 7870 (even though sale terms aren't apples to apples here), then this offer (which seems to be a gun jumper compared to other board suppliers), should beat the 660Ti deals down quite well for now:
October 23, 2012 11:09:17 PM

I would still go for the GTX660ti.

From what I have seen the more you push the resolution and effects the larger the advantage the GTX660ti gets.

If you take into account you can OC the card the gap widens,making the difference between the two cards very noticable.

I do believe a "generic" average FPS is the best way to decide,today you are into BF3,tomorrow who knows?So in some games 7850 wins,other GTX660ti wins.

I plan on getting a GTX660ti on january when price drops.Both preform very nice but the GTX660ti has the upper hand at high res and that is reason enough to spend a bit more on it.I think 50-60euros justify the GTX660ti if you plan,like me,on having it around for 3-4 years.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 11:14:16 PM

blacknemesist said:
I would still go for the GTX660ti.

From what I have seen the more you push the resolution and effects the larger the advantage the GTX660ti gets.

If you take into account you can OC the card the gap widens,making the difference between the two cards very noticable.

I do believe a "generic" average FPS is the best way to decide,today you are into BF3,tomorrow who knows?So in some games 7850 wins,other GTX660ti wins.

I plan on getting a GTX660ti on january when price drops.Both preform very nice but the GTX660ti has the upper hand at high res and that is reason enough to spend a bit more on it.I think 50-60euros justify the GTX660ti if you plan,like me,on having it around for 3-4 years.

I think you have this completely backwards here.........
The 660Ti does better at low resolutions and little to no AA/AF filtering, and leads start falling at higher resolutions and filtering turned up compared to the 7870 - this phenomenon has been well-documented. The Ti suffers from a powerful GPU tacked with an inferior memory system, for this reason the GTX660 is much more balanced. It's also known the 7000 series are insane overclockers in comparison, where have you been reading up on this generation of cards?

BTW, by waiting for your 660Ti purchase in January, Radeon 8000 series cards are right around the corner, 7000 series were first lanuch at the end of 2011. So then we'll be back on the reset button comparing x to y again.
October 23, 2012 11:30:03 PM

ilysaml said:
Ok, as long as you can't keep the discussion nicely and free of bad words, i'm not discussing anymore.

dat
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 1:24:12 AM

DarkOutlaw said:

So what your actually say is the OP should get the 7950.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 2:17:22 AM

If yall dont stop with theze threads..Every time someone says should i get this card or that benchmarks and subjective answers come up..Both good cards just pick 1 you wont regret either one
!