Sign in with
Your question

HD4850 - freeze, hang, quitting to desktop when playing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2012 7:24:18 PM

My domestic forums couldn't help me, so i'm asking 'the authority' :) 

I have a problem (for some time) with my Gigabyte HD4850 Radeon 512 mb. When i'm playing games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Euro Truck Simulator 2, i witness situation, when application freeze (both sound and display) and (depending on game) quits to desktop or game continues. (during freeze my Screen is restarting).

I tried many drivers , and now i'm using catalyst 11.11

Motherboard - asus p5k ws intel 775
Graphics - gigabyte radeon hd4850 512
CPU - intel core 2 duo e8400

My OS is fresh , windows 7 64 bit. Latest version of bios. My Radeon is not Overclocked, has Arctic Cooling S1 accelero (helped me to lower temperatures from 100 to 60 degrees in stress)
October 23, 2012 9:01:15 AM

Anyone?

power supply Tagan TG500-BZ 500W
October 23, 2012 3:46:50 PM

kalachpl said:
My domestic forums couldn't help me, so i'm asking 'the authority' :) 

I have a problem (for some time) with my Gigabyte HD4850 Radeon 512 mb. When i'm playing games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Euro Truck Simulator 2, i witness situation, when application freeze (both sound and display) and (depending on game) quits to desktop or game continues. (during freeze my Screen is restarting).

I tried many drivers , and now i'm using catalyst 11.11

Motherboard - asus p5k ws intel 775
Graphics - gigabyte radeon hd4850 512
CPU - intel core 2 duo e8400

My OS is fresh , windows 7 64 bit. Latest version of bios. My Radeon is not Overclocked, has Arctic Cooling S1 accelero (helped me to lower temperatures from 100 to 60 degrees in stress)

I would personally junk the motherboard and replace it with a different brand.
You are describing problems that Asus users complain about frequently.

One thing is to make sure that the priority of the game is highest, there maybe other processes running that have priority over the game.
Including for instance security programs and antivirus. The latest of which have gaming modes.
If there is not a gaming mode on the security try turning it OFF.

Another good thing is to eliminate as many unused / junk / UN-needed applications.
turn off the screen saver
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK (maybe not, try OFF)
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF. (AMD)
There may be a performance setting in the bios setup you have...make sure it's cranked up to max.
in the bios, see that the allocation for video, if available, is maxed.

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, monitors, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.
Related resources
October 25, 2012 8:28:09 AM

After turning off security, and auto-tune in CCC , freezes occur less often.
I set performance to high, and in advanced power settings i chose USB power saving to off, so i didn't have to set it in every device
I haven't found anything about performance and video allocation in BIOS :<
November 29, 2012 8:24:07 AM

Ok so i think i solved this problem, but only for a month. For every game i have played, i turned off avast, and lowered priority of high priority apps (like dwm.exe) to low , and set game priority to high. And propably this solved the problem. Not for long. Yesterday, all my games became crashed, graphics were full of artifacts, like flying lines, textures, blinking colors, pretty messy. Then my screen shuts down, and restarts, amd driver tells me that error ocurred but it's ok now , and games are crashed again. It's quite a loop - artifacts > screen restart > amd notification > artifacts> .... >.....

I reinstalled the drivers. No help.
!