I have found the prices I want, and i'm ready to purchase

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Hey guys, I have settled on my partlist and i'm going to purchase while I'm home from college over winter break. Any last minute suggestions?

The computer will be for Gaming and Video Rendering using Sony Vegas Pro 11

This is my first build!
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k (229.99$ @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 (129.99$ @ Newegg)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Low Profile (41.98$ @ Amazon)
Graphics Card: EVGA FTW GTX 670 (379.99$ @ Newegg)
EDIT: Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB 7,200 RPM (79.99$ @ Microcenter)
EDIT: This case has extra fans Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower ($109.99 @ Newegg)
EDIT: Power Supply: Corsair enthusiast 650w ($89.99$ @ Amazon)
Cooling: Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
DVD Burner: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE SATA DVD-RW Burner ($16.99 @ Microcenter)
Total Price: $1108.90 (not including shipping, Monitor, OS, or other peripherals)

Solution
I kind of feel like the case is more of a personal choice I think if I were to go back and buy a new case I would look at these. Again though its a personal touch thing and you will more then likely have the case longer then all the components so the choice is more to you.

Fractal Design R4: has sound dampening padding which is cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020
Phantom by NZXT: cosmetically strong and inside very large
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

I personally with the power supply would go up to the 650 from XFX. Mainly because it delivers 4x 6+2 connections which leaves you open for graphic expansion...
I kind of feel like the case is more of a personal choice I think if I were to go back and buy a new case I would look at these. Again though its a personal touch thing and you will more then likely have the case longer then all the components so the choice is more to you.

Fractal Design R4: has sound dampening padding which is cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020
Phantom by NZXT: cosmetically strong and inside very large
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

I personally with the power supply would go up to the 650 from XFX. Mainly because it delivers 4x 6+2 connections which leaves you open for graphic expansion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207022&Tpk=xfx%20650

I'm not terribly familiar with toshiba's hard drive reputation I would stick to Seagate Barracuda or the WD Black series.

I like your system overall though I don't want to take anything away from it I'm really just splitting hairs with my thoughts.

Solution
I would rather grab a seagate 1tb but its a personal thing
You might be able to find a 7970 for that price but again I'm a AMD guy so..
Th PSU is a bit iffy if you ever want to SLI or CF
The i7 3770k is overkill for gaming but again you might be doing more with it

I wondered about that as well in terms of the SSD. I looked at it like maybe he was getting to his limits on how much he was willing to spend and held back. I think that its a valid point to invest in one at some point.

And he could go either way on the GPU with the 7970 or the 670 both are fine and separating the two in performance would be something hard to do if you sat in front of a computer and were trying to judge the experience.

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I'm going 670 because i already have experience fiddling with nvidia settings, and not for AMD.

I thought about getting a 60 or 128gb ssd for the OS and a few commonly used programmes, but i'm low on funds atm. I may still do it eventually.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

Getting an SSD in the future is a good Idea. Save up your money for awhile until to can get ~250GB. With prices dropping as fast as they are right now you might not have to save for as long as you might think to get a bigger SSD.

Yea that's fine in terms of the graphics both are suitable choices the 670 is amazing its the card I currently use just from a different vendor.

And yea if you are low on funds wait and then buy a decent SSD. That is something you want to make sure you don't cheap on. People are unhappy with cheap ones because they don't perform the way they would like so when you get to the point where you can afford a decent one Samsung, OCZ, Intel, Crucial, Kingston then go for it.

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Thanks for the response, i took your advice, and saved on the case. I picked the sexy Phantom, as its also a full tower, which i want. I also upgraded my psu to a 650w corsair enthusiast. The two changes along with upgrading my hdd balanced out and i'm still at 1118.90$ Thanks a lot!

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I have changed my mind case wise yet again to a full sized cooler master, as i feel without liquid cooling, the extra fans this case has is a definite plus.

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I render maybe 2-3x a week. Do you think i should drop down? I don't want to bottleneck my computers performance because of the cpu.

Well the 3570k will do fine with rendering I guess it comes down to how fast you need it. The i7 will perform the task faster I think you are fine by going with the i7 because in all likelihood you won't be upgrading your CPU for sometime.

Edit: I didn't see the change in your first post I see it now. Good stuff good case.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

It was just a thought, I'm not going to tel you what to do on that one. As someone else said, If you have the money and don't mind spending it then get the i7 3770K. You won't regret it.

Yea I'm just thinking down the line if you wanted to upgrade you would maybe think I should of spent the extra money. And with the performance of the i7 3770 or even the 3570k you wouldn't think to upgrade for a while. 2-3 years I would think depending on where your job takes you.

iSpecialTime

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I'll probably stick with the i7. I'm already getting it at quite a discount via microcenter, and dropping down wouldn't really save me enough money to warrant the change. Thanks for the input :D