Solved

1 Graphics card or 2? Please Help!

Hello, I recently purchased a I5 3570k processor, a ASRock z77 extreme4, Corsair vengeance 1x8gb ram, and a new case. I already have a PSU, a corsair TX750 V2. I'm looking to get a new GPU (from a gt 9800) i know it's old, thats why i'm here. I would like to know if i should get two "lower" ended cards and do SLI with them or one higher ended card. I'm running on a 1650x1080 screen but will hopefully be able to get another soon. I have a 400$ budget for a card. Looking for any advice. If there's anymore info you would like to know ask me!
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card help
  1. With that system, I'm guessing you're looking to game? What types of games will you be playing?
  2. Atm, Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, Dota 2 (soon hopefully), LoL, Heroes of Newerth those are mainly what I play, unfortunately right now I can't max them out with out getting like 20 - 30 fps. I would like to be able to max GW2 and still run at 40+ framerate at least. I just wasn't sure if getting something like a GTX 670 would be better than SLI 560 or something around the price of 200$ each. (for the SLI) I am a avid gamer and would just like to be able to dominate any games graphics ^.^
  3. at that res the extra money spent on a 670 may be sorta wasted. A single 660ti should do ya. But in general 1 more powerful card > 2 lower end cards.
  4. GTX 670 or a HD7970 will be plenty at that rez. A 3 GB 7970 would be more beneficial when running at higher rez. (Dual Monitors Triple Monitors)
  5. Would a single 660ti be able to run 2 1650x1080's at a decent fps if i were to get another monitor soon?
  6. Ah thats what you meant. 2 x 1680 monitor setup is roughly the same number of pixels as a 2560x1440 monitor. So you can check out the benchmarks to see how that would fare. To me, I would be looking at a 7950 and saving $100. But if you like nvidia products better, than the 670 would be great, and a 660ti would be good + give you $100 back as well.

check it for rough benchmarks:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,3283-12.html
  7. It looks like a 3gb 7950 is a really good card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121489&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards does this look like a good buy? I want a good base core speed. this was the highest i saw.
  8. AbyssalWolfz said:
    It looks like a 3gb 7950 is a really good card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121489&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards does this look like a good buy? I want a good base core speed. this was the highest i saw.

IMHO i would not buy that card if someone gave me the money for it.i would get a sapphire 7950 OC or Vapor-X.it saves you ~$50 and they are just as good(more so the Vapor-X when overclocked)
  9. +1 to 7950 vaporx. Although i have asus cards from other series and they are really well built as well. Always good overclocks.
  10. festerovic said:
    +1 to 7950 vaporx. Although i have asus cards from other series and they are really well built as well. Always good overclocks.

very true asus cards are GREAT but for my needs the vapor-x is just as good as the asus and i think(in most cases)the vapor-x is able to get a better overclock than the asus card meaning better preformance
  11. festerovic said:
    +1 to 7950 vaporx. Although i have asus cards from other series and they are really well built as well. Always good overclocks.

I've been reading good reviews on these two cards, any thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video%20Cards-_-GIGABYTE-_-14125414&RandomID=375307513797020121022173204

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-Sapphire+Tech-_-14202006

I like the Windforce on the first one and it looks like it OC's pretty good at low temps.
  12. AbyssalWolfz said:

the thing that really separates those 2 cards are the cooler and price that is all
  13. I noticed you only have 1 stick of memory. You are loosing performance when running in single channel rather than dual. I never recommend multi gpu set ups as they do have their issues. I do recommend the fastest single gpu you can afford for the games you like to play. If I had to pick between those two cards, it would definitely be the Sapphire as they are the largest AMD gpu manufacturer.
  14. maestro0428 said:
    I noticed you only have 1 stick of memory. You are loosing performance when running in single channel rather than dual. I never recommend multi gpu set ups as they do have their issues. I do recommend the fastest single gpu you can afford for the games you like to play. If I had to pick between those two cards, it would definitely be the Sapphire as they are the largest AMD gpu manufacturer.

I do plan on getting another 8gb stick of ram soon, i wasn't able to afford but 1 when i got most of my new CPU.
  15. devilofdeaths said:
    the thing that really separates those 2 cards are the cooler and price that is all

So If i were to get a single graphics card, would this be the best GPU for under 400$? If not what would be?
  16. if you have $400 get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards about $385 after shipping and rebates
  17. Best answer
    devilofdeaths said:

and the price. The sapphire plain jane is $269 after rebate, thats a pretty smoking deal. For value that's the hands down winner.
  18. festerovic said:
    and the price. The sapphire plain jane is $269 after rebate, thats a pretty smoking deal. For value that's the hands down winner.

On a 1650x1080 screen I should be able to run everything at max setting 60 fps? =D If so i'm diffidently getting this card.
  19. AbyssalWolfz said:
    On a 1650x1080 screen I should be able to run everything at max setting 60 fps? =D If so i'm diffidently getting this card.

yup even more so since the catalyst 12.11 release and you get 3 free games i think
  20. devilofdeaths said:
    yup even more so since the catalyst 12.11 release and you get 3 free games i think

Okay thanks a lot!! I'm going to get this Graphics card, a 240gb SSD, and a new optical for my computer. Thanks again to everyone!
  21. Best answer selected by AbyssalWolfz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Corsair Graphics Product