Windows 7 slow boot due to slave drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

week911

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I have recently upgraded my computer from vista 64bit to win 7 64bit. I am usually ok with computer problems, but this one has stumped me. I use 2 hard drives. One 500gb SATA for OS. The other is a 250 Seagate IDE slave drive. Everything has been good since back in my xp days. Until this week when I installed windows 7. It takes about 10 minutes for my computer to boot into win 7 OS while my slave drive is plugged in. When I unplug the slave drive my computer runs very nicely.

SPECS:
ASUS P5Q-Pro
Intel 8500 -OC to 3.8 from 3.16
8GB DDR2 RAM

If any other specs are needed I have no problem giving the information.

Thank you

-Rob

Vic Smith

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Does "boot into win 7 OS " time include only Win 7 loading?
By "slave" do you mean the second drive on an IDE channel?
Or is it the primary drive on the IDE channel?
When plugged in does the IDE drive look good from Win 7 Explorer and in Computer Management > Data Management?
Do you see the "Drivers found" notification when you boot Win 7 after you plug the IDE drive back in?
I recently did a Win 7 install and was mixing SATA and IDE drives and saw no such problem on my Asus P6T.
Have you run ant diagnostics software against the IDE drive?
Is it formatted in NTFS?

--Vic

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Week911,

Prior to migrating to Windows 7 did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

To determine if your current computer configuration is compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/no4xb7

Another resource to verify compatibility is available at the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center located at the following link: http://bit.ly/1gW6Ns

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

If the IDE drive is the ONLY IDE drive you have, you should set its jumper for "Master". You only select an IDE drive as "Slave" if you have two IDE drives connected to the same cable and the other one is set to "Master".

"Master" and "Slave" are IDE concepts only, they have nothing to do with SATA and the fact that you have a SATA drive has no effect on how the IDE connection must be set up.

sitsap15

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hi Rob,

I am having a similar problem:
- Win 7 64bit on a 60GB SSD OCZ Agility
- Data and Games on a Samsung F1 1TB

Windows boot is OK and damn fast! But gaming is facing several problem such as extrem long load time / crash...

cdurksen

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Have you found a solutoin? I have a 60GB SSD and a 2nd hd as a 2TB sata hdd and it takes 2 minutes to load windows.

As soon as I disconnect my secondary drive it starts fast :(

musicnater

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

cdurksen, have you found a solution? I have a nearly identical problem. I am running 64 bit windows ultimate, and when I disconnect my 2 TB secondary drive, it takes a few seconds to boot; when it's connected it takes about 5 minutes of short cyclic hdd bursts before it starts. I am wondering if it is attempting to index the drive.

ChrisNes1987

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I'm having an identical crysis over here as well with my 2 TB hard drive as my secondary. It was working fine with it in before but now it seems to be degrading and takes longer and longer each time i boot my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.