Bug report for Win'XP SP1 & SP2 and Win'2000 SP4.

DVD-RW bug and my workaround:

Over the last few weeks I've been battling a strange
problem with my Pioneer A05 drive, which worked perfectly
for a year until now. I could burn to dvd-rw media, but
the drive would not read its contents after reinserting
the same disc. Inserting the disc into my DVD-ROM drive
reads it perfectly. I tried the drive in two other
computers with different hardware and problem persists.

I've since returned the drive to Pioneer for repairs.
However, I decided to buy a new Benq 1610 dvd-rw drive.
Believe it or not, same problem. I even exchanged it for
another one, problem persists.

I've read article 818733: "Windows XP Does Not Recognize a
DVD-RW Disc" which is exactly the issue I have with two
different dvd-rw drives now. It said it's because of the
udfs.sys file. The workaround specified was to contact MS
for a new udfs.sys file or install SP2. After installing
SP2 for XP, problem did not get resolved.

I installed Win'2000 Pro to dual boot with my XP Pro. No
problem reading burned dvd-rw media (Maxell, Memorex,
Optodisc, Princo). However, I noticed the problem
returned after I installed SP4.

After hours of hard work, I determined cdfs.sys was the
cause of the problem. After installing SP4, I replaced
its cdfs.sys file in the system32\drivers directory with
the cdfs.sys that came with Win'2000 (no service packs).
Rebooted and I am able to read dvd-rw media again.

So I tried the same thing with XP with SP1, then SP2. I
used the cdfs.sys file from Win'2000 Pro in my XP Pro and
that also works.

MICROSOFT: This problem is in cdfs.sys, not udfs.sys.

Andy.
1 answer Last reply
More about report 2000

    Have you checked that your cdfs.sys still is there?
    The system file protection should have restored it back.

    --PA

    "Andy C." <futurehaker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2bce01c48ea7$bd93f710$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > DVD-RW bug and my workaround:
    >
    > Over the last few weeks I've been battling a strange
    > problem with my Pioneer A05 drive, which worked perfectly
    > for a year until now. I could burn to dvd-rw media, but
    > the drive would not read its contents after reinserting
    > the same disc. Inserting the disc into my DVD-ROM drive
    > reads it perfectly. I tried the drive in two other
    > computers with different hardware and problem persists.
    >
    > I've since returned the drive to Pioneer for repairs.
    > However, I decided to buy a new Benq 1610 dvd-rw drive.
    > Believe it or not, same problem. I even exchanged it for
    > another one, problem persists.
    >
    > I've read article 818733: "Windows XP Does Not Recognize a
    > DVD-RW Disc" which is exactly the issue I have with two
    > different dvd-rw drives now. It said it's because of the
    > udfs.sys file. The workaround specified was to contact MS
    > for a new udfs.sys file or install SP2. After installing
    > SP2 for XP, problem did not get resolved.
    >
    > I installed Win'2000 Pro to dual boot with my XP Pro. No
    > problem reading burned dvd-rw media (Maxell, Memorex,
    > Optodisc, Princo). However, I noticed the problem
    > returned after I installed SP4.
    >
    > After hours of hard work, I determined cdfs.sys was the
    > cause of the problem. After installing SP4, I replaced
    > its cdfs.sys file in the system32\drivers directory with
    > the cdfs.sys that came with Win'2000 (no service packs).
    > Rebooted and I am able to read dvd-rw media again.
    >
    > So I tried the same thing with XP with SP1, then SP2. I
    > used the cdfs.sys file from Win'2000 Pro in my XP Pro and
    > that also works.
    >

    > MICROSOFT: This problem is in cdfs.sys, not udfs.sys.
    >
    > Andy.

Drivers DVD RW Windows XP