Bug report for Win'XP SP1 & SP2 and Win'2000 SP4.

a b \ Driver
August 30, 2004 12:40:56 PM

DVD-RW bug and my workaround:

Over the last few weeks I've been battling a strange
problem with my Pioneer A05 drive, which worked perfectly
for a year until now. I could burn to dvd-rw media, but
the drive would not read its contents after reinserting
the same disc. Inserting the disc into my DVD-ROM drive
reads it perfectly. I tried the drive in two other
computers with different hardware and problem persists.

I've since returned the drive to Pioneer for repairs.
However, I decided to buy a new Benq 1610 dvd-rw drive.
Believe it or not, same problem. I even exchanged it for
another one, problem persists.

I've read article 818733: "Windows XP Does Not Recognize a
DVD-RW Disc" which is exactly the issue I have with two
different dvd-rw drives now. It said it's because of the
udfs.sys file. The workaround specified was to contact MS
for a new udfs.sys file or install SP2. After installing
SP2 for XP, problem did not get resolved.

I installed Win'2000 Pro to dual boot with my XP Pro. No
problem reading burned dvd-rw media (Maxell, Memorex,
Optodisc, Princo). However, I noticed the problem
returned after I installed SP4.

After hours of hard work, I determined cdfs.sys was the
cause of the problem. After installing SP4, I replaced
its cdfs.sys file in the system32\drivers directory with
the cdfs.sys that came with Win'2000 (no service packs).
Rebooted and I am able to read dvd-rw media again.

So I tried the same thing with XP with SP1, then SP2. I
used the cdfs.sys file from Win'2000 Pro in my XP Pro and
that also works.

MICROSOFT: This problem is in cdfs.sys, not udfs.sys.

Andy.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 1, 2004 3:02:25 AM

Have you checked that your cdfs.sys still is there?
The system file protection should have restored it back.

--PA

!