First build: Budget SLIM desktop for programming

I am in the process of selecting components for my first build! This will be a slim desktop which supports dual monitors. I'd like to thank the Tom's community for all of the help so far. (I've been reading a lot of reviews and forum posts to get to this point!)

I'm looking for input on:
a. Will these components work together? (Yes, I'm a newb!)
b. Are they likely to fit in a slim micro-atx case?
c. What do I need for cooling? (again total newb!)
d. Am I missing something? or are there items where I can skimp to save a bit of money?

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP, but can hunt for sale prices for a month or so.

Budget Range: ~$600 (I'm willing to adjust budget and/or components) (After Rebates; After Shipping)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Android development, surfing the internet, streaming music, light gaming, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes (2 monitors), prefer around 20", at least one to be vertical

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo (micro-atx), RAM, HDD, SSD, DVD drive (?), wireless adapter, case (micro-atx slim), wireless k/b

Do you need to buy OS: No (will dual boot Windows 7 and ubuntu)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, open to other sites

Parts Preferences: Must be a slim case (~4"), and pretty sure I will get the Intel Core i3-3220 cpu.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: around 960-1080p

Additional Comments: Using Eclipse for Android development. Light gaming currently minecraft and SimCity 3000. I'm not planning on getting a dedicated video card, but possibly would want to add one later. I'm trying for a lower power system.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My only computer at the moment is a 4-5 year old laptop, which is getting outdated/has some issues. A huge factor is that I need more screen real estate for developing, and want a desktop with dual monitor setup.

Current component list:
Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500
ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Rosewill R379-M Black/ Silver 0.8mm SGCC Steel Slim MicroATX Computer Case with ATX12V Flex 300W Power Supply
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM
Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 920-002950 Black 8 Hot Keys USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse
ASUS USB-N10 Wireless Adapter
LG IPS224T-PN Black 22" 14ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 5,000,000:1 IPS Panel (x2)
ERGOTRON 33-310-060 Neo-Flex LCD Stand

Current Newegg.com price total: $810.88 (plus ~$16 shipping).
5 answers Last reply
More about first build budget slim desktop programming
  1. What you've selected should work.... however something that may be of interest is:

GIGABYTE GA-H77N-WIFI LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
    TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCI Express x1 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter

^
    these parts would allow you to triple boot all 3 major Operating systems should you decide to expand into iApp development later on.
  2. blane2 said:

these parts would allow you to triple boot all 3 major Operating systems should you decide to expand into iApp development later on.

Thanks for the input. I'm probably not going down the iApp route event, but I am now curious. Could you explain what characteristics of those parts would specifically allow me to boot Mac OS? Thank you again!
  3. check your p.m.
  4. Are you planning to be debugging Android apps within the mobile device emulator? If so, you may want to go for an i5 although I don't remember how resource intensive the emulator was last time I ran it.
  5. aicom said:
    Are you planning to be debugging Android apps within the mobile device emulator? If so, you may want to go for an i5 although I don't remember how resource intensive the emulator was last time I ran it.

Thanks for the input! I do use the Android emulator occupationally (and it is dreadfully slow on my current laptop). I'll look into what other users recommend for cpu for this purpose.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product