Device Driver for Apple iPod on XP SP1a

I have been unable to get my iPod recognized on XP. I
have tried removing software, reinstalling it, repairing
it, etc., and the OS keeps generating a message to tell
me that there is a USB Device Not Recognized. Upon
query, there seems to be no driver avail, but I also have
been unable to locate a raw driver file from Apple,
newsgroups, discussion fora, etc. I know that I am not
the only person with this problem, but I am unclear as to
what the solution could be. I tried the SP2 patch for
USB devices, and that didn't work. Please advise if you
have any good ideas... Rgds,