Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Buying a new motherboard and compatability

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 12, 2012 12:46:28 AM

Hello I am building my own computer and am looking for a cheap enough motherboard or will this current one suffice ( Doubt):

AM-37 D33007 Motherboard

I have two components selected already and are these compatable with the motherboard above:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Kingston HyperX Red 2x4 GB Ram

And the GPU:

http://www.aztekcomputers.com/HD4650PCIE10244PB-GENERIC...
Ati Radeon Hd 4650 1gb

Now I realize this motherboard is not very good, so I would like suggestions of new motherboards. Around the 50-100 dollar range, I am on a budget. Thank you!
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 1:02:21 AM

That board will not support that RAM. Also the board is not worth upgrading.

What are you trying to do with this computer and what is your budget?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 1:02:51 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Motherboards & Memory to section Systems by Proximon
m
0
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 1:18:46 AM

Proximon said:
That board will not support that RAM. Also the board is not worth upgrading.

What are you trying to do with this computer and what is your budget?


Thank you for the info. I am building a computer to be used for gaming but I am on a limited budget and cannot afford the high end things. And I believe this Motherboard is from 2001, so how is it not worth upgrading? I currently have a 512 mb Ram in the motherboard now so I really need an upgrade (This is an old computer I know).
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 3:33:33 AM

Interesting, I seem to have lost the flag because I moved the post.

Hehe, 2001 is 11 years ago now :) 
-The very cheapest modern processor will run circles around anything that could be in that board. Modern processors will not work in old boards.
- You will pay MORE for memory to put in that board than you will for memory in a new board.
- The GPU you have chosen requires a PCI-E slot. I think your board has an AGP slot. You might still be able to find an AGP card, but doing so would not be wise. When your motherboard dies, you cannot use the AGP card in a new system. They don't make new AGP motherboards.

Upgrading tech this old never works out.

Your board
http://www.ascendtech.us/e-machines-am-37-d33007-mother...

Any upgrade to this board will involve an upgrade to the processor as well.

If you can't afford much more, you might want to look on Craigslist or some such. You can find a more modern machine that might be upgradeable... I would be happy to advise you in that sort of search.

To upgrade your current system:

2GB DDR PC2100 (This is max) $32
http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-266Mhz-DDR266-PC2100-...

AGP video card $54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 4:58:31 AM

Proximon said:
Interesting, I seem to have lost the flag because I moved the post.

Hehe, 2001 is 11 years ago now :) 
-The very cheapest modern processor will run circles around anything that could be in that board. Modern processors will not work in old boards.
- You will pay MORE for memory to put in that board than you will for memory in a new board.
- The GPU you have chosen requires a PCI-E slot. I think your board has an AGP slot. You might still be able to find an AGP card, but doing so would not be wise. When your motherboard dies, you cannot use the AGP card in a new system. They don't make new AGP motherboards.

Upgrading tech this old never works out.

Your board
http://www.ascendtech.us/e-machines-am-37-d33007-mother...

Any upgrade to this board will involve an upgrade to the processor as well.

If you can't afford much more, you might want to look on Craigslist or some such. You can find a more modern machine that might be upgradeable... I would be happy to advise you in that sort of search.

To upgrade your current system:

2GB DDR PC2100 (This is max) $32
http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-266Mhz-DDR266-PC2100-...

AGP video card $54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Thanks man. I am not really looking to 'upgrade'. This computer works but I wanted really to upgrade it along the way until all the parts are new and it can be up to par with the rest of the pack. I was starting small and realizing the place to start is the Motherboard. I would greatly appreciate a motherboard that can accept the GPU and Ram I bought for a cheap price. Thanks.
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 5:30:44 AM

Oh also, I was reading your guide to choosing parts, and I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-790GX-G65-4DDR3-1600-CrossFir...

It was on the lower end of your AMD recommendations. I just have a few questions:

Is this a Good Motherboard? I found that it is compatible with my Ram selected I earlier and should be with my GPU.

Is this a Mobo/CPU Combo? I'm a bit confused about that. If not then what CPU do you recommend?

Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 10:59:53 AM

No, it doesn't work that way. The processor receptacle on your board is called "socket A" That is entirely different from an AM3 socket like that found on a modern AMD motherboard.

IF you bought that motherboard:
- It would not work with your current processor
- It would not work with your current hard drive or optical drive
- It might not work with your power supply.

You want to bridge to a newer system, but there is no way to do that. There is no upgrade path.

If you buy a new motherboard, you will need a new processor to put in it. You will need a new hard drive because there is no place to plug an IDE drive on a new motherboard.

Here is an upgradeable newer board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a processor to go along
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Note the $10 off promo code

(This can all be done with Intel as well. But since you seem more comfortable with AMD, I just went with that.)

And compatible memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you bought those three items you could wait on the graphics... the motherboard has some built-in graphics.

But again, your hard drive could not be installed and neither your optical drive... and of course your operating system would be a problem.
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 10:42:57 PM

Proximon said:
No, it doesn't work that way. The processor receptacle on your board is called "socket A" That is entirely different from an AM3 socket like that found on a modern AMD motherboard.

IF you bought that motherboard:
- It would not work with your current processor
- It would not work with your current hard drive or optical drive
- It might not work with your power supply.

You want to bridge to a newer system, but there is no way to do that. There is no upgrade path.

If you buy a new motherboard, you will need a new processor to put in it. You will need a new hard drive because there is no place to plug an IDE drive on a new motherboard.

Here is an upgradeable newer board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a processor to go along
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Note the $10 off promo code

(This can all be done with Intel as well. But since you seem more comfortable with AMD, I just went with that.)

And compatible memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you bought those three items you could wait on the graphics... the motherboard has some built-in graphics.

But again, your hard drive could not be installed and neither your optical drive... and of course your operating system would be a problem.


True, I am more comfortable with AMD. I grew up with Intel for most my life but I have come to admire AMD. But anyway, I have not yet bought the Ram and GPU. I think it would be smarter holding off and buying a motherboard. I like the one you selected, but I was looking for a Motherboard/CPU combo. Having just this would be fine also, but I have been looking at the Phenom II series of processors. Any recommendations? Thanks again for all the help.

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2012 11:28:47 PM

I did link a CPU in that last post. I think that will serve you for a good bit.
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 12:11:34 AM

Proximon said:
I did link a CPU in that last post. I think that will serve you for a good bit.


Not quite a Phenom II is the point I was trying to make. I will shop around and see if I can get a good price.


m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2012 4:13:29 AM

They are out of production I think. but I saw a good deal on a 965 as recent as two weeks ago.
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 12:49:17 PM

I found a Phenom II x4 965 for 5 dollars cheaper than the CPU you selected and it has 3.4 GHz. It looks like a good deal but it doesn't have a fan. I really don't want to get ripped off. Here it is:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Think this is good? I am going to buy that Gigabyte Motherboard that you selected.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 12:46:07 AM

Proximon said:
That's a fantastic deal. You will need a CPU cooler of course, which will raise the price.

A few fan choices

Good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better - but make sure your case is big enough to fit it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I like the first choice, because I am looking for a good deal and plan not to overclock the CPU (Yet, :3). I think that once I acquire my Motherboard I will hop on that CPU while the deal lasts and get that fan. Thanks alot for the help, couldn't have done it without you.
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 12:34:24 PM

Proximon said:
That's a fantastic deal. You will need a CPU cooler of course, which will raise the price.

A few fan choices

Good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better - but make sure your case is big enough to fit it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I need to buy an OS, don't I? I like Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate (What I have right now) and I found one here:

http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/miwiviulfuve4.h...(Promotional+Label)&utm_campaign=googlepla&gclid=CLanpPGMmrQCFUjZQgodEGMAkg

I don't have the disc I used for this computer any more, so I need to buy a new one right?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 7:55:11 PM

Windows 7 is a bit better, but more importantly it will have better compatibility with new hardware and software. It's quite possible that a new piece of hardware you purchase at some point will only have Win 7 or higher drivers.

Then there is the native TRIM (an important maintenance function) support for SSDs. You WILL be wanting an SSD at some point, because they are a huge upgrade to any PC, and they keep dropping in price.

How about this?
http://snaggstuff.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-...
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 9:50:39 PM

Proximon said:
Windows 7 is a bit better, but more importantly it will have better compatibility with new hardware and software. It's quite possible that a new piece of hardware you purchase at some point will only have Win 7 or higher drivers.

Then there is the native TRIM (an important maintenance function) support for SSDs. You WILL be wanting an SSD at some point, because they are a huge upgrade to any PC, and they keep dropping in price.

How about this?
http://snaggstuff.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-...


This is perfect! But I don't know much about SSD's, besides they are newer and hold more or something. Do I need a special port or slot? How much do they run for? I was looking at about 500gb of Memory because I would never use a Terabyte and most of my friends are satisfied with their 500gb. Thanks for the help.

Oh and as a side note, The computer I took apart with the 11 year old Mobo, it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, The AMD Sempron 64-bit 3100+. I might sell it or something. It also has a 100 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 HDD. Should I re-use the HDD? I want more than just 100GB though, it might be a nice addition.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 5:46:35 AM

I doubt you could get more than $20 for the old Sempron.

The SSD will work with your new MB. It's just like a hard drive but there are no moving parts. It's very fast. Typically a person wants a large enough SSD to have all their programs and operating system, and then a hard drive to keep extra files like music or pictures or video.

Currently a 128GB SSD will run about $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's an example of a good one. No need to get one right away if money is tight.

Your old Seagate HDD uses a FLAT cable to connect to the motherboard. It's called an IDE or PATA cable. Your new motherboard will not have this type of connection.... that's why it's not compatible :)  (see post #8). A new SSD or HDD will have a SATA type of connection, which is compatible with the new board, but not with the old one.
m
0
l
December 15, 2012 1:27:54 PM

Proximon said:
I doubt you could get more than $20 for the old Sempron.

The SSD will work with your new MB. It's just like a hard drive but there are no moving parts. It's very fast. Typically a person wants a large enough SSD to have all their programs and operating system, and then a hard drive to keep extra files like music or pictures or video.

Currently a 128GB SSD will run about $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's an example of a good one. No need to get one right away if money is tight.

Your old Seagate HDD uses a FLAT cable to connect to the motherboard. It's called an IDE or PATA cable. Your new motherboard will not have this type of connection.... that's why it's not compatible :)  (see post #8). A new SSD or HDD will have a SATA type of connection, which is compatible with the new board, but not with the old one.


Alright, If I buy this now would I be able to purchase a 2nd one and add it to the motherboard? Because I am using most of my 160 GB HDD On my laptop now. But this computer is almost completed. I need a Case, Power Supply, and Optical Drive. I have my 300W Power Supply from that 2001 computer, I assume that isn't enough. And then I have the Disc Drive that uses a PATA cable. I found a cheap case for an ATX Motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for a Disc Drive, I don't want one with Blu-ray or anything like that, just a basic one that reads and maybe burns.
With the addition of the SSD the price of the build comes to $384.09 ( W/o Tax + Shipping). As for the Power supply, I've heard NOT to cheap out here so that seems to be the last big ticket item here. Almost done. :D 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2012 8:28:14 PM

Bare minimum you need a case with one 120mm fan and room for a second. The one you have picked doesn't have either of those qualities, and is more expensive than you think due to shipping.

This would be a great case if you can stand the color
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You are asking if you can buy one SSD up front and add a second? Better to get the one SSD and add a 500GB HDD later if you want to go that route. But yes, you can do either. You can have probably 6 or 8 SATA devices to that board (in a hurry atm or I would look up the number)
m
0
l
December 15, 2012 11:37:28 PM

Proximon said:
Bare minimum you need a case with one 120mm fan and room for a second. The one you have picked doesn't have either of those qualities, and is more expensive than you think due to shipping.

This would be a great case if you can stand the color
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You are asking if you can buy one SSD up front and add a second? Better to get the one SSD and add a 500GB HDD later if you want to go that route. But yes, you can do either. You can have probably 6 or 8 SATA devices to that board (in a hurry atm or I would look up the number)


That color is pretty awesome. Now all I need is a Power Supply and Optical Drive. I looked online and found there were PATA to SATA converts, so would getting a PATA to SATA converter be a good idea because I have a working Optical Drive that can burn? If not then got any recommendations? And then is the Power Supply which I have little knowledge about. Thank you.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 5:48:32 AM

No because a modern DVD burner would be faster, and only costs $18.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

IF your optical drive was a very nice one that you paid a lot for, it might make some sense.... I used a PATA optical up until 2008 because it was very good (cost me $80 new). However, new SATA drives that cost $18 are just as good or even a bit better than the old expensive ones.

For a PSU, a power search at newegg came up with this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's enough power that you will never need to worry about it, and very high quality.

If that is too much then this one is adequate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

While it's not as much power as the Neo Eco, this 450W Rosewill is Gold rated and higher quality than either.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 1:40:07 PM

Proximon said:
No because a modern DVD burner would be faster, and only costs $18.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

IF your optical drive was a very nice one that you paid a lot for, it might make some sense.... I used a PATA optical up until 2008 because it was very good (cost me $80 new). However, new SATA drives that cost $18 are just as good or even a bit better than the old expensive ones.

For a PSU, a power search at newegg came up with this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's enough power that you will never need to worry about it, and very high quality.

If that is too much then this one is adequate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

While it's not as much power as the Neo Eco, this 450W Rosewill is Gold rated and higher quality than either.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


There we go! All finished. Here is the build:

CPU: AMD II X4 965 - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 125w ($74.99)

CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 92mm Sleeve Bearing Fan ($14.99)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD ($49.99)

Memory: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive(SSD) ($99.99)

Storage: GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ($32.99)

Video Card: Ati Radeon Hd 4650 1gb Ddr2 Pci Express ($39.76)

Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 Black SECC Steel USB 3.0, eSATA, 3x 120mm Fans Mid Tower Computer Case ($44.99)

Power Supply: Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply ($38.99)

Optical Drive: LG CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 6X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 8X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS72 - OEM ($17.99)

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ($66.99)

Total: $481.67 ( W/o Tax + Shipping)


Is this good enough to run lets say, WoW, LoL, Half Life 2/ Gmod/ Tf2, Minecraft or Arma II/Day Z? If you see any problems or anything that might look incompatible be sure to say so, or if you have any comments feel free. Thanks for all your help.
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 9:19:04 PM

Proximon said:
At minimum settings and lower resolutions, I think all those games will run, some of them well.
This video card will be quite a bit better at minimal cost
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Big problem: The chosen motherboard does not support 125W CPUs like the 965.

This board is faster and will support the CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thank you very much! I also like how the board will look better inside of the Redbone U3 case. I compared the two graphics cards at Hwcompare.com and found the one you selected is slightly better in all but one category, so I thank you there too, but I noticed the Motherboard has 2.0 x 16 PCI express slots while the GPU uses 2.1 x 16 PCI express slots so are they compatible? If so I am going to buy those two products and just to make sure, is the motherboard compatible with the Ram and everything else selected? I am going to order the motherboard as soon as I get home from school tommarow. Thanks for your help.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 6:53:34 AM

Yes, PCI-E is backwards and forwards compatible. No problem at all.

You didn't supply an actual model number for the RAM, but AMD systems are very forgiving and I don't anticipate any issues at all with that RAM.

Looks like you are well set :) 
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 12:17:10 PM

Proximon said:
Yes, PCI-E is backwards and forwards compatible. No problem at all.

You didn't supply an actual model number for the RAM, but AMD systems are very forgiving and I don't anticipate any issues at all with that RAM.

Looks like you are well set :) 


My apologies, I was referring to the one you selected for the previous motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820144495

I assume it is compatible so thank you for all of your help. I now have a budget gaming build for just about $500.

CPU: AMD II X4 965 - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 125w ($74.99)
CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 92mm Sleeve Bearing Fan ($14.99)
Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard($49.99)
Memory: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive(SSD) ($99.99)
Storage: GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ($32.99)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100323-2L Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card($49.99)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 Black SECC Steel USB 3.0, eSATA, 3x 120mm Fans Mid Tower Computer Case ($44.99)
Power Supply: Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply ($38.99)
Optical Drive: LG CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 6X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 8X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS72 - OEM ($17.99)
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ($66.99)
Total: $491.90 ( W/o Tax + Shipping)

There we go. I will post if any problems occur, Thanks for all of your help with everything.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 12:37:18 AM

No problem. It's a very nice system for the price.
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 4:21:29 AM

Proximon said:
No problem. It's a very nice system for the price.


Hello again. I've been looking at Memory because I don't think that only 100GB for 100$ is very cost effective for me. I have been looking at HDD's and I have found two, both for 1 TB:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't think I would be able to use 1 TB, but then I won't have to spend another $ 100 SATA drive. I've game lightly on this 160GB Laptop and I have used most of it. If I can find a 500 GB Drive for less that would be good, but those seem outdated? But can you tell me if these are compatible with my motherboard (Motherboard is : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )? I trust Newegg more than I do Tigerdirect, but Tigerdirect is cheaper and can save me some money. And I also have a question about the case, Why does the case have USB 3.0 Ports if my Motherboard doesn't support USB 3.0? Also, My motherboard should be arriving tomorrow. Can't wait.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:42:04 AM

We call that storage, not memory... I know it gets confusing.

If you bought this HDD right now it would be a far better deal. $80 with a promo code that makes it $60. This is a faster drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are too late for that deal, then this one is a better deal with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You started this thread with some apparently strict budget constraints, and that's why I avoided any of the motherboards with USB 3.0... they are more expensive. The case was the same price as its USB 2.0 version at the time.
Now the other one is cheaper and has free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 2:45:55 PM

Proximon said:
We call that storage, not memory... I know it gets confusing.

If you bought this HDD right now it would be a far better deal. $80 with a promo code that makes it $60. This is a faster drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are too late for that deal, then this one is a better deal with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You started this thread with some apparently strict budget constraints, and that's why I avoided any of the motherboards with USB 3.0... they are more expensive. The case was the same price as its USB 2.0 version at the time.
Now the other one is cheaper and has free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks, I saved about 20 bucks. My build is looking good except, because I want it to be a gaming build, I was wondering if the selected GPU ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
) is really good enough when coupled with the 3.4 GHz CPU? I could go up to $100 Max for the GPU, but I don't want to bottleneck because of my Motherboard. Got any suggestions? Thanks.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 8:21:00 PM

You definitely have room to grow in the GPU area. It just depends on your monitor resolution and gaming expectations.

This 550ti is great at this price, especially after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This 7750 is not as strong as the 550 ti, but is solidly under $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6750 for a bit less, with less power
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=69344&vpn=AX6750%201GB...

6770 from TD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

All big upgrades over the chosen card, and all will work fine with your rig.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 1:44:10 AM

Proximon said:
You definitely have room to grow in the GPU area. It just depends on your monitor resolution and gaming expectations.

This 550ti is great at this price, especially after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This 7750 is not as strong as the 550 ti, but is solidly under $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6750 for a bit less, with less power
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=69344&vpn=AX6750%201GB...

6770 from TD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

All big upgrades over the chosen card, and all will work fine with your rig.


I really like the 6770, comparing it vs the other ones on Hwcompare.com is a real asset. It's also the cheapest. One more thing, The motherboard supports 1866 ddr3 Ram, but the Ram selected is only 1333. I don't mind paying a little bit more for 1866 Ddr3 ram vs the 1333. Got any suggestions? I was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good Price (Unfortunately I won't be able to use the Promo code, :(  ), And I like how It matches the rest of the build because it is red. Is this a good price? Is it Compatible and is there a better deal? Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 4:16:17 AM

That's not going to do much for you. No noticeable difference in any game. Try to stay with modules that don't have tall heatsinks. Any extra investment in this computer at this point will best be used in the SSD or GPU areas... or a step up for the PSU.
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 5:54:22 AM

Proximon said:
That's not going to do much for you. No noticeable difference in any game. Try to stay with modules that don't have tall heatsinks. Any extra investment in this computer at this point will best be used in the SSD or GPU areas... or a step up for the PSU.


Alright thanks. Seems like a sound build for now, will reply if anything else occurs.
m
0
l
!