Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why haven't Nvidia adjust their prices

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 23, 2012 2:10:09 AM

It pretty clear that almost every single Nvidia card is too expensive right now, and things will get worse once the new catalyst drivers (never settle) come out... (that and that 3 free games offer)

Shouldn't they counter-attack AMD and their aggressive pricing strategy?

More about : nvidia adjust prices

a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:26:56 AM

Yes, they probably should.
The 680 should price like 7970
670 like 7950
660 ti like 7870
660 like 7850.
650 ti like 7770.
650 like 7750.

If it was that way then nVidia's cards would be better at every price point. Then AMD's cards would be too expensive, but honestly I don't think nVidia really cares. They outsell AMD at every price point. Just look at the steam hardware survey, in 1 month the 660 ti surpassed the sales of both the 7950 and the 7870, which have been out since the beginning of the year

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 2:27:32 AM

IMO nvidia did not want to play along with amd strategy. as long as they can keep their profit well i dont think nvidia will drop their price. with that said if nvidia q3 did not meet their expectation we might see they pull similar move as amd; droping price to stimulate more sales.

m
0
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 2:48:07 AM

Ironslice said:
Yes, they probably should.
The 680 should price like 7970
670 like 7950
660 ti like 7870
660 like 7850.
650 ti like 7770.
650 like 7750.

If it was that way then nVidia's cards would be better at every price point. Then AMD's cards would be too expensive, but honestly I don't think nVidia really cares. They outsell AMD at every price point. Just look at the steam hardware survey, in 1 month the 660 ti surpassed the sales of both the 7950 and the 7870, which have been out since the beginning of the year

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/



I don't get it... why are people buying an inferior product?
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 2:53:53 AM

julianbautista87 said:
I don't get it... why are people buying an inferior product?


did you mean weaker card for similar price point?
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 2:57:08 AM

renz496 said:
did you mean qeaker card for similar price point?


No, I meant slower card for similar price point.
m
0
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 3:02:37 AM

Usually the difference in performance isn't drastically different a few FPS. Then there is also brand loyalty. They support different features aswell like Nvidia's 3d vision and AMD's eyefinity. I personally tend to stick with Nvidia cards, I just had too many issues with AMD's software and drivers, not that Nvidia has a perfect track record but its been better than AMD's. I have friends that agree with me and I have others whom believe the exact opposite.
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 3:07:40 AM

well maybe the game that many people play the most are better running on nvidia hardware (skyrim, bf3 etc) :p 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 3:16:01 AM

In a real world gaming environment, you won't notice the difference between the nVidia and the AMD competitors. In benchmarks, you see a few FPS here a few FPS there, but when you're playing a game, you're not gonna be like, "OH NO, I JUST DROPPED 2 FPS, IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH THE OTHER CARD".

Like bignastyid said, people buy for brand loyalty, brand name recognition (if someone recognizes the name and has heard it before, they will probably buy it), advertisement of features (nVidia tends to advertise their features a lot more; i.e. adaptive v-sync, physX, TXAA), and trust (if a product has worked for someone before, they will probably buy it again, and ATI/AMD doesn't have the best track record).

At the end of the day whichever card you choose to go with will do the same thing, play your games.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 3:39:49 AM

I don't have any issues paying a bit more for an Nvidia card even if the AMD card is cheaper and scores about the same in benchmarks. The big thing for me is the ease and customization the Nvidia drivers offer vs AMDs.

Everytime I use Nvidia drivers its a no hassle update and easy to use interface. Every time I update my laptop with an AMD card I hate the experience.

That and EVGA precision is an awesome program.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 3:56:16 AM

Yea IMO, after studying NVIDIA. Its just not something NVIDIA does.. they know they're product is top quality and its worth the price tag they mark it for.. If people want to buy cheap. then get AMD
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 4:03:33 AM

People like green.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 4:15:08 AM

Ironslice said:
In a real world gaming environment, you won't notice the difference between the nVidia and the AMD competitors. In benchmarks, you see a few FPS here a few FPS there, but when you're playing a game, you're not gonna be like, "OH NO, I JUST DROPPED 2 FPS, IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH THE OTHER CARD".

Like bignastyid said, people buy for brand loyalty, brand name recognition (if someone recognizes the name and has heard it before, they will probably buy it), advertisement of features (nVidia tends to advertise their features a lot more; i.e. adaptive v-sync, physX, TXAA), and trust (if a product has worked for someone before, they will probably buy it again, and ATI/AMD doesn't have the best track record).

At the end of the day whichever card you choose to go with will do the same thing, play your games.



Truth and thats how i feel when people card vs card..People here tend to push 1 card more then another.. My opinion if your getting 50-60 frames and it plays your games who cares.. But you really spoke truth on this
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 4:19:07 AM

Many people wish to utilize CUDA and Physx for w/e task they do. That alone can be a reason for them to go NVIDIA.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 4:23:55 AM

julianbautista87 said:
It pretty clear that almost every single Nvidia card is too expensive right now, and things will get worse once the new catalyst drivers (never settle) come out... (that and that 3 free games offer)

Shouldn't they counter-attack AMD and their aggressive pricing strategy?
I don't think they feel AMD is on their level and i doubt they will ever change
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 4:31:10 AM

hmmm, interesting answers... I have only had 3 cards in my life: 8800 gts, hd 5770 and hd 6850, I find it surprising that people complain about AMD drivers, because the catalyst drivers have been, in my opinion, the best I've had.

It's also interesting to find fanboys in a tech website like this one, I thought fanboys were common outside hardware sites, like in real world or in Youtube.


It's also kind of a sad thing seeing how people base their purchases on publicity instead of on benchmarks and reviews. That makes me realize that the politician with the most money to buy publicity on TV, etc. is going to win, not the fittest one for the charge, but that's a completely different topic.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 5:07:19 AM

(My opinion) most people buy nvi card not look at price / performance or even care........

more about brand name (Integrity), feature....

So not much a reason for nvi to drop the price with that kind of consumer base, (a "good" company will also do the same)
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 5:18:30 AM

I think that nVidia is not reducing prices simply because they do not have to.

Will nVidia sell more cards if they lower their prices? Probably, but that might affect the the companies net income. There are usually people who crunch the numbers to determine if a price reduction is necessary and how much it will affect the bottom line.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 5:22:39 AM

jaguarskx said:
I think that nVidia is not reducing prices simply because they do not have to.

Will nVidia sell more cards if they lower their prices? Probably, but that might affect the the companies net income. There are usually people who crunch the numbers to determine if a price reduction is necessary and how much it will affect the bottom line.
+1
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 5:23:05 AM

Brand loyalty can also make a difference. Generally speaking, I buy whatever card provides the best performance for the price that I want to pay. To a lesser extent I also look at power consumption. Based on my own purchases in the past I more or less buy AMD and nVidia equally. My gaming rig has a Radeon HD 5850, my HTPC has a GeForce 9600 GT, and my laptop has a nVidia GT 550m.
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 5:44:59 AM

jaguarskx said:
I think that nVidia is not reducing prices simply because they do not have to.

Will nVidia sell more cards if they lower their prices? Probably, but that might affect the the companies net income. There are usually people who crunch the numbers to determine if a price reduction is necessary and how much it will affect the bottom line.


this +1
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 6:23:37 AM

Its more of brand loyalty. Both are fine cards, Nvidia cards just happen to be marketed better, and advertised more often then the AMD counterpart, even if the performance on the AMD counterpart has more in relation to price/performance.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 6:33:39 AM

17seconds said:
Nvidia is greatly outselling AMD at the current prices, with mid-range/low-end chips that should be selling for half of what they are. AMD was forced to lower prices due to the market demand, and it still hasn't made a dent. There is no reason other than wishful thinking for Nvidia to lower prices.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
Nvidia should hire you
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 2:38:14 PM

Yep.. What dude said
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:48:18 PM

17seconds said:
Nvidia is greatly outselling AMD at the current prices, with mid-range/low-end chips that should be selling for half of what they are. AMD was forced to lower prices due to the market demand, and it still hasn't made a dent. There is no reason other than wishful thinking for Nvidia to lower prices.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/


It's more Popular therefore better! Just like how Smokers, who used to form the majority of the population in the 1930s/40s, clearly made the healthier choice. :kaola: 

Ok but in all seriousness..

http://www.techspot.com/news/49946-discrete-gpu-shipmen...

Discrete Graphics Card Marketshare wise, we're looking at 40.3% for AMD and 59.3% for nVIDIA with AMD being on the rise Quarter to Quarter.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:54:51 PM

I cannot stand people calling others "fanboys", I think your a fanboy of fanboys ya fanboy. NVidia doesn't need to lower their prices because of their perceived (whether it is true or not) higher quality, clearly people are willing to pay for it, so why not milk it for all it's worth. If people were really that frustrated with Nvidia's pricing than they would be flocking to AMD, which is obviously not the case. It's just like Apple, no matter how many phones come out that trump the Iphone there will always be people there to defend it and it still does extremely well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 3:12:49 PM

chugot9218 said:
I cannot stand people calling others "fanboys", I think your a fanboy of fanboys ya fanboy. NVidia doesn't need to lower their prices because of their perceived (whether it is true or not) higher quality, clearly people are willing to pay for it, so why not milk it for all it's worth. If people were really that frustrated with Nvidia's pricing than they would be flocking to AMD, which is obviously not the case. It's just like Apple, no matter how many phones come out that trump the Iphone there will always be people there to defend it and it still does extremely well.


Tell that to 3Dfx :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 3:21:42 PM

Eh the iphone has just become a "Everyones goota have one" thing... people think they need a phone thats only gotten .3inches bigger and has a .2 mm thinness blah blah blah.... Are people still impressed by this?
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 3:29:38 PM

chugot9218 said:
I cannot stand people calling others "fanboys", I think your a fanboy of fanboys ya fanboy. .


+1 somebody needed to say it
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 3:51:14 PM

Nvidia won't lower their prices, or not by much. They are confident they will sell their products because of their massive marketing campaign, & it works because marketing works so well in this day & age. People buy into advertising more often than not, & the brands with less ad money don't do as well despite the quality of their product(s).

I've personally owned both AMD & Nvidia on several occasion & never had any issues with either one. When I make a purchase I base it on several things, cost, buyer reviews, web reviews, cost/performance ratio based on reviews from "trusted" sites, & availability. I always make sure to do a proper uninstall & install & I've been fortunate to not have any DOA cards yet from either company.
I wouldn't say buy one or the other outright, base it upon your opinion after what you read about all products, & also attempting to ask forums for unbiased answers. Don't limit your research to just one tech site, & don't let people's opinions based primarily on brand loyalty sway you one way or another.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 3:52:30 PM

julianbautista87 said:
hmmm, interesting answers... I have only had 3 cards in my life: 8800 gts, hd 5770 and hd 6850, I find it surprising that people complain about AMD drivers, because the catalyst drivers have been, in my opinion, the best I've had.

It's also interesting to find fanboys in a tech website like this one, I thought fanboys were common outside hardware sites, like in real world or in Youtube.


It's also kind of a sad thing seeing how people base their purchases on publicity instead of on benchmarks and reviews. That makes me realize that the politician with the most money to buy publicity on TV, etc. is going to win, not the fittest one for the charge, but that's a completely different topic.


First off, most purchasers are not the ones you see on the tech websites. Some people will research a little before their purchase, others do not. I'd bet most do not research ahead of time.

Tech sites definitely have fanboys in them. Just because they look at tech sites do not mean they don't become loyal. Often times they became fanboys due to experiences in the past that were real and then become loyal to that brand.

Since so many people do not look at tech sites before purchasing, publicity and recognition definitely plays a part in the buying process. If you see two different cards and only heard of one, which would you buy? If you recognized both, and you heard in the news that AMD stocks are dropping like a rock, you might also think twice about buying from them.

I personally have bought about the same number of cards from both brands. I currently use Nvidia due to features, specifically 3D Vision. Nvidia has more exclusive features, which will net them some customers.
m
0
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
a c 388 Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 4:30:45 PM

According to the Steam Hardware Survey:

GTX 680, 670, 660 Ti = 3.34% of all DirectX 11 video cards in use, a +0.92% increase over the previous month (August to September).

7970, 7950, 7870 = 1.54% of all DirectX 11 video cards in use, a +0.24% increase over the previous month (August to September).

So Nvidia's top three gaming cards have outsold the top three AMD cards by more than 2 to 1 .... despite the AMD cards having been released several months earlier, 7 months earlier in the case of the GTX 660 Ti.

Additionally, Nvidia is increasing sales almost 4 times as fast among the gamers who use Steam, despite the huge price cuts to AMD cards that came over the recent months.

The case of the GTX 660 Ti is pretty indicative of the problem AMD faces. The 660 Ti was released on August 16th. At the time of the September survey it had already outsold the 7950, which had been released on January 30th, almost a full 7 months earlier. It's the same story with the 7870. In just a few weeks, the GTX 660 Ti has also outsold the cheaper 7870, which has been out for months.

The market will play a big role in any price cuts and it's pretty clear why Nvidia hasn't felt any pressure to lower prices.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 7:01:01 PM

unoriginal1 said:
+1 somebody needed to say it


True my point is who cares how many cards sold what or oh i get 2 more frames then you..OH i get 2.5 more fps..Sit back play the game and relax..Yall be going nuts with subjective answers alot of us looking at yall like does that really matter? Again if your getting good frames at the end of the day it doesnt honestly matter if you go amd or nvidia..Its not like the whole world is going to base off of what yall saying because alot of people to busy playing the games and enjoying them more so then debating on what card sells more and picking a card based off of fanboyism or yacking about what this or that card does. Video cards is over rated with benchmarks that gets everyone to hyped up just my opinion
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 7:18:15 PM

determinologyz said:
True my point is who cares how many cards sold what or oh i get 2 more frames then you..OH i get 2.5 more fps..Sit back play the game and relax..Yall be going nuts with subjective answers alot of us looking at yall like does that really matter? Again if your getting good frames at the end of the day it doesnt honestly matter if you go amd or nvidia..Its not like the whole world is going to base off of what yall saying because alot of people to busy playing the games and enjoying them more so then debating on what card sells more and picking a card based off of fanboyism or yacking about what this or that card does. Video cards is over rated with benchmarks that gets everyone to hyped up just my opinion


Agreed! It truly is a pointless argument at a certain point when FPS is involved. The human eye can only perceive separate images at like 10-15 fps but that leaves it choppy instead of fluid. So higher fps is essential to give a "smooth" feel. But the cut off point (entirely in my opinion because this is just simply not proven) I'd say is around 35-55 fps. Then you simply can't tell the difference. Which is more then achievable by both companies.

It bothers me that people scream fanboyism. especially when people give valid points for buying Nvidia like the eye candy. It reminds me of when i argue with people about whos the best basketball player of all time (no names as to not start a rant ;) ) Even thou Statistically i can prove it. That stupid whos got the most rings finds it's way into the convo... It's a pathetic excuse at a shotty attempt to win an arguement lol.
m
0
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
a c 388 Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 7:18:17 PM

determinologyz said:
True my point is who cares how many cards sold what or oh i get 2 more frames then you..OH i get 2.5 more fps..Sit back play the game and relax..Yall be going nuts with subjective answers alot of us looking at yall like does that really matter? Again if your getting good frames at the end of the day it doesnt honestly matter if you go amd or nvidia..Its not like the whole world is going to base off of what yall saying because alot of people to busy playing the games and enjoying them more so then debating on what card sells more and picking a card based off of fanboyism or yacking about what this or that card does. Video cards is over rated with benchmarks that gets everyone to hyped up just my opinion

Word.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2012 10:16:45 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen you post this in another thread. *walks off stroking chin*
Indeed :lol: 
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 11:53:08 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Correction..

"well maybe the game that many people play the most were better running on nvidia hardware (skyrim, bf3 etc)"


Catalyst 12.11

Skyrim
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

Battlefield 3
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

The reason why people pay premium to buy nvidia card becoz it takes AMD 1 year to make a proper driver which gives thier customers max performance from their cards.LOL
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 4:58:02 AM

The from post above u can guess how the nvi consumer base is...

I don't seen that 12.11 that arrive after one year means negative point for amd.. (even a positive news become negative in certain mind)

m
0
l
October 24, 2012 6:42:46 AM

Ironslice said:
Yes, they probably should.
The 680 should price like 7970
670 like 7950
660 ti like 7870
660 like 7850.
650 ti like 7770.
650 like 7750.

If it was that way then nVidia's cards would be better at every price point. Then AMD's cards would be too expensive, but honestly I don't think nVidia really cares. They outsell AMD at every price point. Just look at the steam hardware survey, in 1 month the 660 ti surpassed the sales of both the 7950 and the 7870, which have been out since the beginning of the year

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/



I remember at one point some of the NV cards gave Steam gamers an edge because they didn't render sunlight rays shining though skylights and such on some CSS maps. As a whole, they use more power and run warmer, but I suppose if a large chunk of them aren't paying the power bill it isn't a concern (<;
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 7:21:44 AM

so are you suggesting that people with nvidia cards have to pay more electric bill due to their cards use more power?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 2:31:56 PM

renz496 said:
so are you suggesting that people with nvidia cards have to pay more electric bill due to their cards use more power?

what nonsense :pfff: 
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 2:54:19 PM

Rockdpm said:
what nonsense :pfff: 
+1 this thread is starting to get ridiculous! Yeah dam you NV my electric bill is out of control thanks to you lol :sarcastic: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 2:57:11 PM

bigcyco1 said:
+1 this thread is starting to get ridiculous! Yeah dam you NV my electric bill is out of control thanks to you lol :sarcastic: 


All threads on here relating to gpus get like this man.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 3:17:58 PM

At the end of the day a company will charge what it can for a card. A lot of businesses moved away from this model of business years ago but computer hardware still works this way.
If at some point you have not felt ripped off by a hardware company then either lucky you you have enough money so that its not a concern, or you have not been involved in computing for long enough.

As long as they are hitting sales and revenue targets there will be no price cuts, in fact if they exceed projected forecasts prices may well go up.

Personally I had a budget set aside for upgrading / new build for a while now, but you know what my PC plays games just fine. First AMD charged stupid money for teh 7 series so even now that prices on the 78 cards are very reasonable they can keep them. Then Nvidia gimped the corresponding cards down to a set performance level so that the performance is compromised to my mind to a point where they can keep those as well.

Lets see what comes next and if the price performance curve goes back the right way or not is my thinking at the moment.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 4:15:08 PM

In all honest thoughts lets be real. At the end of the day, if NVIDIA and and prices were exactly the same. Scratch that same cards one card with "AMD" and the other with the word " NVIDIA geforce".die hard fan boys would buy amd because they feel it's better value besides the fact they are the exact same card... Its the word "AMD" that makes them buy it. Same thing goes for die hard NVIDIA fans. Its the fanboys that jerk the main stream 50/50 consumers that buy what fanboys recommend. So sometimes its the fanboys that make the consumers final choice
m
0
l
!