Why haven't Nvidia adjust their prices

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
It pretty clear that almost every single Nvidia card is too expensive right now, and things will get worse once the new catalyst drivers (never settle) come out... (that and that 3 free games offer)

Shouldn't they counter-attack AMD and their aggressive pricing strategy?

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Yes, they probably should.
The 680 should price like 7970
670 like 7950
660 ti like 7870
660 like 7850.
650 ti like 7770.
650 like 7750.

If it was that way then nVidia's cards would be better at every price point. Then AMD's cards would be too expensive, but honestly I don't think nVidia really cares. They outsell AMD at every price point. Just look at the steam hardware survey, in 1 month the 660 ti surpassed the sales of both the 7950 and the 7870, which have been out since the beginning of the year

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

IMO nvidia did not want to play along with amd strategy. as long as they can keep their profit well i dont think nvidia will drop their price. with that said if nvidia q3 did not meet their expectation we might see they pull similar move as amd; droping price to stimulate more sales.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

I don't get it... why are people buying an inferior product?

bignastyid

Titan
Usually the difference in performance isn't drastically different a few FPS. Then there is also brand loyalty. They support different features aswell like Nvidia's 3d vision and AMD's eyefinity. I personally tend to stick with Nvidia cards, I just had too many issues with AMD's software and drivers, not that Nvidia has a perfect track record but its been better than AMD's. I have friends that agree with me and I have others whom believe the exact opposite.

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
In a real world gaming environment, you won't notice the difference between the nVidia and the AMD competitors. In benchmarks, you see a few FPS here a few FPS there, but when you're playing a game, you're not gonna be like, "OH NO, I JUST DROPPED 2 FPS, IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH THE OTHER CARD".

Like bignastyid said, people buy for brand loyalty, brand name recognition (if someone recognizes the name and has heard it before, they will probably buy it), advertisement of features (nVidia tends to advertise their features a lot more; i.e. adaptive v-sync, physX, TXAA), and trust (if a product has worked for someone before, they will probably buy it again, and ATI/AMD doesn't have the best track record).

At the end of the day whichever card you choose to go with will do the same thing, play your games.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I don't have any issues paying a bit more for an Nvidia card even if the AMD card is cheaper and scores about the same in benchmarks. The big thing for me is the ease and customization the Nvidia drivers offer vs AMDs.

Everytime I use Nvidia drivers its a no hassle update and easy to use interface. Every time I update my laptop with an AMD card I hate the experience.

That and EVGA precision is an awesome program.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Truth and thats how i feel when people card vs card..People here tend to push 1 card more then another.. My opinion if your getting 50-60 frames and it plays your games who cares.. But you really spoke truth on this

I don't think they feel AMD is on their level and i doubt they will ever change

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
hmmm, interesting answers... I have only had 3 cards in my life: 8800 gts, hd 5770 and hd 6850, I find it surprising that people complain about AMD drivers, because the catalyst drivers have been, in my opinion, the best I've had.

It's also interesting to find fanboys in a tech website like this one, I thought fanboys were common outside hardware sites, like in real world or in Youtube.

It's also kind of a sad thing seeing how people base their purchases on publicity instead of on benchmarks and reviews. That makes me realize that the politician with the most money to buy publicity on TV, etc. is going to win, not the fittest one for the charge, but that's a completely different topic.

rdc85

Honorable
(My opinion) most people buy nvi card not look at price / performance or even care........

more about brand name (Integrity), feature....

So not much a reason for nvi to drop the price with that kind of consumer base, (a "good" company will also do the same)

I think that nVidia is not reducing prices simply because they do not have to.

Will nVidia sell more cards if they lower their prices? Probably, but that might affect the the companies net income. There are usually people who crunch the numbers to determine if a price reduction is necessary and how much it will affect the bottom line.

+1

Brand loyalty can also make a difference. Generally speaking, I buy whatever card provides the best performance for the price that I want to pay. To a lesser extent I also look at power consumption. Based on my own purchases in the past I more or less buy AMD and nVidia equally. My gaming rig has a Radeon HD 5850, my HTPC has a GeForce 9600 GT, and my laptop has a nVidia GT 550m.

this +1

Its more of brand loyalty. Both are fine cards, Nvidia cards just happen to be marketed better, and advertised more often then the AMD counterpart, even if the performance on the AMD counterpart has more in relation to price/performance.

LMAO.gif
Nvidia should hire you