Sign in with
Your question

Bad Screen Tearing with HIS Radeon HD 7850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 2:27:51 AM

Hi, I just built a new system using a HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB version. I've noticed some really bad screen tearing/very large amounts of fuzzy lines across the screen on the games I've been playing, like Call of Duty WaW, Battlefield 3, and Starcraft 2. Now, in-game, I've been enabling V-Sync, but that doesn't completely fix the problem, and it really kind of destroys the frame rate. On my old build on the same monitor, I've been using a 6850 and there was no screen tearing at all. Is there an easy fix for this, or do i just have to live with it? On a quick google search, I found that some people found success from using a DVI cable instead of using a VGA cable and an adapter, which is what I use now. I am in the market for a new monitor, so buying a monitor with native DVI support wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I want to make sure that it will fix the problem. Here are my full system specs:

1366 x 768 monitor with 60Hz refresh rate

HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB

Intel Core i3 2100

ASRock B75M-DGS

Corsair 8 GB 1333mhz ram

Western Digitial Caviar Blue 250GB hard drive

Corsair 500 Watt PSU

Thanks for the help!
October 23, 2012 7:17:39 AM

well of course the choice would be to completely remove all drivers for your amd card and re-install. also make sure your in-game settings are appropriate for your card. otherwise it may be RMA time
m
l
October 23, 2012 9:19:22 PM

The reason why I didn't think to do that was because this was a brand new build, completely fresh. There can't be any interference from other older drivers because there were never any other ones put on. Would re-installing really make that much of a difference? Also, what do you mean by setting appropriate in-game settings?
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 9:33:13 PM

McLizardman4 said:
The reason why I didn't think to do that was because this was a brand new build, completely fresh. There can't be any interference from other older drivers because there were never any other ones put on. Would re-installing really make that much of a difference? Also, what do you mean by setting appropriate in-game settings?

Re-installing isn't going to change anything.

When screen tearing appears the usual solution is to turn on Vsync.

Using DVI's digital video signals is preferable to using VGA's analog video signals.
m
l
October 23, 2012 9:40:43 PM

ko888 said:
Re-installing isn't going to change anything.

When screen tearing appears the usual solution is to turn on Vsync.

Using DVI's digital video signals is preferable to using VGA's analog video signals.

Yeah I didn't think so. I tried using v-sync, but it really didn't change much and it destroys the frame rate. Do you think that using DVI instead of VGA will stop the problem? I've heard stories, but don't quite understand why that would work like that. Also, before I buy another monitor, I would want to be sure that it fixed the problem.
m
l
October 24, 2012 4:06:28 AM

McLizardman4 said:
Yeah I didn't think so. I tried using v-sync, but it really didn't change much and it destroys the frame rate. Do you think that using DVI instead of VGA will stop the problem? I've heard stories, but don't quite understand why that would work like that. Also, before I buy another monitor, I would want to be sure that it fixed the problem.

No one can make that guarantee.

You would need to borrow a display panel with a DVI input to troubleshoot with before you decide to buy a new display panel.
m
l
October 24, 2012 7:47:01 PM

ko888 said:
No one can make that guarantee.

You would need to borrow a display panel with a DVI input to troubleshoot with before you decide to buy a new display panel.

Okay, I definitely need to find a test monitor then.
m
l
!