Coolermaster Elite 120
i5-2500k
Asrock Z77E-ITX
MSI Radeon 7770 GHZ edition
Corsair 650HX
GSkill 1600 8GB
ASUS CD/DVD ROM drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB

I had read reviews that this case has good cooling and, of course, after I bought it I'm reading reviews that it doesn't. Am I going to be ok with stock cooling? If not, do I have to buy an aftermarket cooler or can I just buy another 120mm fan that would be mounted behind the drive bays? I don't believe I'll be able to overclock the chip with this case and that's fine, but I don't want to burn anything up. I haven't played anything other than Diner Dash kind of games, so I don't know what the other kinds of games do, in terms of heat, but I'm sick of these kinds of games.

Also, I am a smoker - yep, kill me now :-). This rig is going in the garage with a nice ASUS 23" monitor. Do you think putting an electric blanket over the ITX and the monitor on low will work to keep it warm enough without condensation so that I don't have to carry it in every night?

I thought I was done ordering parts, so I'm hoping stock cooling and the 2 fans that came with the case are enough, but if not I guess I should know now before I build it in a few days...

Thanks so much!
6 answers Last reply
More about mini cooling
  1. If you're not going to overclock, get the i5-3470 or something. Better performance, probably cheaper and lower TDP so less heat.

I imagine you should probably be OK in terms of heat, it will probably be quite noisy though.
  2. jmsellars1 said:
    If you're not going to overclock, get the i5-3470 or something. Better performance, probably cheaper and lower TDP so less heat.

I imagine you should probably be OK in terms of heat, it will probably be quite noisy though.

Actually, I already have all those parts - I took the 2500k from another build. If it's ok with stock cooling then I have everything I need to put it together. If it needs another fan, I don't have one. How can you tell the temp of the cpu when it's running?

Thanks!
  3. Ideally you will need a low profile CPU cooler in order to overclock. The stock cooler may support a small overclock, but I wouldn't mess with it without an aftermarket cooler. Unfortunately I can't help you as to what fits that case specifically... Add to that two case fans (an intake and exhaust) and call it good. No reason why you couldn't support a good overclock with that setup.

To check the temps, ASRock should have a utility that shows hardware temps while running stress test tools. Be sure to consult an overclocking guide and monitor temps in the process.
  4. sadams04 said:
    Ideally you will need a low profile CPU cooler in order to overclock. The stock cooler may support a small overclock, but I wouldn't mess with it without an aftermarket cooler. Unfortunately I can't help you as to what fits that case specifically... Add to that two case fans (an intake and exhaust) and call it good. No reason why you couldn't support a good overclock with that setup.

To check the temps, ASRock should have a utility that shows hardware temps while running stress test tools. Be sure to consult an overclocking guide and monitor temps in the process.

Oh, great, then I don't need anything else right now anyway because the case comes with a 120mm fan in the front and an 80mm on the side - I don't know how to overclock and I probably won't notice the difference coming off the silly games I have played :lol: Thanks for telling me how to find the temps; I will check on that as soon as I build it.

Thanks!
  5. CPUid Hardware Monitor is my favourite tool for monitoring system temperatures.
  6. it is fully suggested to put custom cooling for mini itx.

for example samuel 17 or deepcool gamma archer (for not overclocking)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Cooling Systems