Sign in with
Your question

At a crossroads due to budget

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2012 4:52:24 AM

Okay, I have gotten great help and guidance out of a fellow forum member here the past few days, and I've come to a conclusion.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $534.93

That is my general build. I will be importing my HDD/Optical drive, and performing a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit.

My error was on my part with money coming in and budget. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5450 1G video card, and a Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU (dual 12v rails, not single one that has all the bad reviews), that I am willing to re-use. My initial plan was all of the above, but for now, I'm thinking of getting all of that, re-using my PSU and card, and then buying a GPU/PSU sometime middle to late spring. I'm in between a rock and a hard place because I love my build as it is and I would like nothing changed.

My question to you guys is this, without overclocking that CPU, and only two or three fans in the system with no extra shiny peripherals, will that PSU work on the new system? Without GPU of course, and my GPU I have now is a non-PCI-e power connector, just uses the 75w in that PCIe slot.

I know a lot of you will tell me to buy it all at once, etc. But the thing is, I can't. With my bills for school and personal bills, and the way work has been, it will be one part a paycheck, maybe every two paychecks depending on workload.

But back to the original question, PSU, will it handle it you think? Just the CPU/Mobo/RAM/FANS/HDD/Optical/Case

More about : crossroads due budget

December 12, 2012 5:45:14 AM

Easily, that system (with the 5450) would consume ~200W under full load (every component at max). Provided the PSU you have isnt defective it will be fine. You could even overclock and have plenty of power left over.
December 12, 2012 5:50:34 AM

Okay, that was my main worry, changing out everything except the PSU I was worried the power draw might change. I know the card will bottleneck the hell out of it, but it is all I can afford now, and I want to be able to put money into a good PSU and card.
Related resources
December 12, 2012 6:03:58 AM

I don't know exactly how strong that PSU is but for up to a 7850 I normally recommend a Corsair CX430 so your current PSU doesn't need to be upgraded at all if you Google reviews of it (from sites not newegg reviews) and they say it's a good unit. Normally I'd do this myself but I'm on my phone.
December 12, 2012 4:47:17 PM

Yeah I was wanting to get like a corsair builder series 600, so I'm covered when I crossfire, or add peripherals. I would rather stick with my 5450 and Thermaltake now, and then upgrade both the PSU and GPU when I have more money to put into them, instead of skimping.

But without the 7850, it should run fine right?
December 12, 2012 5:08:42 PM

Yep even with the 7850 it should run fine.
!