Sign in with
Your question

4870 x2 overheating inside Silverstone Raven 3 case

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 5:55:26 AM

Hello,
My setup: Maximus v gene, i7 2600k, 2*4GB DDR3 corsair Ram, and 4870 x2 with accelero xtreme kit, (psu) HighPower 1000w. No overclocking
I'm still using an old 4870 x2 which is cooled by an "Accelero xtreme" kit and this card is still running most games at high settings pretty smoothly. Lately I had to upgrade my system and I acquired a Silverstone Raven 3 case for more space and ventilation.
The problem is simple. Since the very first day I've been using this new Raven case my graphic card is systematically overheating when gaming. I can game maybe 5 minutes top before crash. It's a dual gpu card and what I can see using MSI afterburner, is that gpu1's temp is getting pretty quickly up to the 90 C and up until crash while gpu0 stays about 15 degrees under gpu1. And this happens very quickly while gaming or testing with MSI Kombuster. The interesting thing is that by accident I've noticed that when the case is laying horizontally(right side of the tour facing down), the card works very well. The gpu temps are pretty good even on heavy load(between 50 up to 75 max). And the funny thing is that the gpu0 temp is slightly higher than gpu1. The Silverstone Raven 3 uses the 90-degree rotation method which means that the motherboard's I/O connections are facing up and the air flows from bottom to top.
I've googled this issue for days now but nothing mentioning my problem. As now, I have to keep my pc laying horizontally until I buy a new case, or a new card. Or am I?
October 23, 2012 6:07:39 PM

pteyes said:
Hello,
My setup: Maximus v gene, i7 2600k, 2*4GB DDR3 corsair Ram, and 4870 x2 with accelero xtreme kit, (psu) HighPower 1000w. No overclocking
I'm still using an old 4870 x2 which is cooled by an "Accelero xtreme" kit and this card is still running most games at high settings pretty smoothly. Lately I had to upgrade my system and I acquired a Silverstone Raven 3 case for more space and ventilation.
The problem is simple. Since the very first day I've been using this new Raven case my graphic card is systematically overheating when gaming. I can game maybe 5 minutes top before crash. It's a dual gpu card and what I can see using MSI afterburner, is that gpu1's temp is getting pretty quickly up to the 90 C and up until crash while gpu0 stays about 15 degrees under gpu1. And this happens very quickly while gaming or testing with MSI Kombuster. The interesting thing is that by accident I've noticed that when the case is laying horizontally(right side of the tour facing down), the card works very well. The gpu temps are pretty good even on heavy load(between 50 up to 75 max). And the funny thing is that the gpu0 temp is slightly higher than gpu1. The Silverstone Raven 3 uses the 90-degree rotation method which means that the motherboard's I/O connections are facing up and the air flows from bottom to top.
I've googled this issue for days now but nothing mentioning my problem. As now, I have to keep my pc laying horizontally until I buy a new case, or a new card. Or am I?

Sounds to me like the airflow, from the bottom of your case, is pretty bad. When the case is sitting on the floor or your desk not enough airflow is being sucked in.

GPU1 is the GPU closest to the rear of the board where we find power connectors while GPU0 is the GPU closest to the front of the board where we find DVI/HDMI/DP connectors.

When you flip the case over enough air flow is sucked in so that GPU1 end up cooler than GPU0. When you set the case in its standard position you see GPU1 rising like crazy above 90c. GPU0 is able to get air from the top/back of the case. GPU1 is not able to get air from the bottom/front of the case. So yeah... the issue appears to be a lack of airflow. If you can speed up the existing silverstone fans that might help. If case is on a carpet... try placing a woodplank or a metal plank underneath. Dust and carpet might clog up the intake fans. You might need to replace the stock Silverstone fans with higher RPM fans of a higher quality though.
October 23, 2012 9:59:40 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Sounds to me like the airflow, from the bottom of your case, is pretty bad. When the case is sitting on the floor or your desk not enough airflow is being sucked in.

GPU1 is the GPU closest to the rear of the board where we find power connectors while GPU0 is the GPU closest to the front of the board where we find DVI/HDMI/DP connectors.

When you flip the case over enough air flow is sucked in so that GPU1 end up cooler than GPU0. When you set the case in its standard position you see GPU1 rising like crazy above 90c. GPU0 is able to get air from the top/back of the case. GPU1 is not able to get air from the bottom/front of the case. So yeah... the issue appears to be a lack of airflow. If you can speed up the existing silverstone fans that might help. If case is on a carpet... try placing a woodplank or a metal plank underneath. Dust and carpet might clog up the intake fans. You might need to replace the stock Silverstone fans with higher RPM fans of a higher quality though.

Hello, and thanks for your reply. I was completely wrong then. I though that the Gpu0 was sending its heat up to Gpu1 since the board I/O side is facing up in this case. I thought that the Gpu1 was the closest to the DVI/HDMI connectors and thus getting the heat from gpu0. I'll give it a try and set manually the fans on the bottom side to max speed this evening. This case has two Air Penetrator 180mm on the bottom. I'll also try to place the case on a more open area with less stuff surrounding it. Maybe this will do. I'll let you know.
Thanks
Related resources
October 23, 2012 10:29:15 PM

I have the Raven case, but the older model, and it works really well for cooling, much better than my previous cases. However, I have shag carpeting, so in order to make sure air flows in well, I have it sitting on blocks to get it up off the carpet. You also need to make sure to clean the air filters fairly often, as they do start to affect air flow after a while.
October 24, 2012 1:31:12 AM

Thanks for your replies. I'm seriously thinking that the Arctic Accelero Xtreme cooling device can't work in this position. I've the case sitting on blocks now so it has more space to pull air from. Both 180mm on the bottom of the case are set on high speed. I've added one 120mm fan blowing straight at the card. The air filters are clean, everything is pretty clean, I've just got this case like 2 weeks ago. I can feel the air flowing pretty well if I put my hand inside the case. I mean cool air. All the temps are good, CPU is running between 35/45c(I'm using a Corsair H80 liquid cpu cooler which I also use as an exhaust), mother board at around 30c. Everything is as it should. But still have the same problem when running games or 3d tests.That is if the case is set in its standard position(vertically). In less than 3 minutes Gpu1 gets to 90c and up until crash while Gpu0 stays under 60c. And once I flip the case and set it horizontally both gpu's temps get to normal again with gpu0 slightly over by 2 degrees max. I have done it in real time flipping the case while MSI Kombustor's 3D test and temps drops or raise depending if the case is set horizontally or vertically.
Yeah, maybe it's the card cooling system that just can't work in this position. Wish I could find some more information about it though.
October 25, 2012 2:48:17 AM

I guess no one can help me on this one. I can't find anything on the net so far. Guess I have two costly options. Buy a new case, or buy a new video card. The 4870x2(accelero xtreme cooling) is still running most new games on high settings, or very high for some. And it's cool and quiet. What a pity.
October 25, 2012 2:59:29 AM

pteyes said:
I guess no one can help me on this one. I can't find anything on the net so far. Guess I have two costly options. Buy a new case, or buy a new video card. The 4870x2(accelero xtreme cooling) is still running most new games on high settings, or very high for some. And it's cool and quiet. What a pity.

I don't know what to say. Can you take a picture of your layout? It might shed some light on the subject. Form my personal experience, that case layout is excellent, but it could have issues with these vapor coolers, as it turns the cards 90 degrees and could disrupt this type of cooler.
October 25, 2012 4:33:26 AM

bystander said:
I don't know what to say. Can you take a picture of your layout? It might shed some light on the subject. Form my personal experience, that case layout is excellent, but it could have issues with these vapor coolers, as it turns the cards 90 degrees and could disrupt this type of cooler.

Ok, I will. I took that picture but I can't see any option to insert it here. I'm new here. And, I may be tired.
October 25, 2012 4:42:22 AM

pteyes said:
Ok, I will. I took that picture but I can't see any option to insert it here. I'm new here. And, I may be tired.

You can't post anything directly to the site, you need to use a 3rd party site, like http://imageshack.us/ to upload images, then link to them here.
November 4, 2012 10:25:41 PM

bystander said:
You can't post anything directly to the site, you need to use a 3rd party site, like http://imageshack.us/ to upload images, then link to them here.

Hello, sorry for not replying earlier. I had to put everything on hold as my Maximus V gene motherboard failed me. Not sure what happened here. I decided to re-apply the thermal paste on the gpus. After reinserting the 4870 x2 and reconnecting everything my mobo just would not start anymore. Did everything checked everything(long story but not the point here... I may have accidentally dropped a tiny bit of thermal paste on the motherboard....that's the only thing I can think about). So now I'm temporally using an asus p8z77-vl x until I get my maximus back.
So here are links to my layout's pictures. http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2338/rav03.jpg & http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1886/imag0068pv.jpg
Don't mind the 5970's sticker. It is a 4870 x2 and a 4870x2 artic accelero xtreme cooler. Just the fan case is from a 5970 accelero extreme cooler. Also a long story but not the point here.
Thanks and again, apologies.
November 4, 2012 11:32:29 PM

Those pictures seem to be sideways, is that correct? The cards are actually facing up and down, connected to the top, right?

One thing that seems odd with the layout is the fan at the back of the case. What direction does it blow air? It seems as if it could be taking air away from the card, which might have a negative air flow. The model I have, has the PSU at that point, and all air goes up through the case, which seems to work well.
November 5, 2012 2:09:41 AM

Yes, the box is laying on the side. So the bottom of the box (with the two intake 180mm fans) is on the left side, and the the top(with the corsair h80 cpu cooler as exhaust) on the right side. At first the fan on the back was set to blow air straight at the card but it didn't help so yes right now it is set to blow the air out. Now that you point it, it doesn't seem to be a good idea knowing the the H80 CPU cooler is already blowing the air out of the box. I will set the back fan back to intake. But anyway it did not help when it was set this way.
!