Please help, looking to build new Gaming PC

HeraklesXL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
So my computer just turned 5 years old... and I am thinking I want a new one. It has been a while since I have put one together, and was hoping for some help. Due to my current build being a bit of a lemon, I thought I would try a local PC shop with a good reputation for putting together good systems and their lifetime warranty. The system I wanted would cost $4600 from them, putting it together on Newegg it would cost $1600. So here I am.

Approximate Purchase Date: Flexible some time this next month would be nice.
Budget Range: I would like to keep it under $2000
System Usage: Games, Internet, Movies, taking over the world, etc..
Buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade:
- Motherboard
- CPU
- Memory
- Graphics Card
Parts I could probably keep:
- Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0 here
- PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE here
- SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive here
Do you need to buy an OS: Yes, I was thinking Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) unless there are any reasons to stick with Windows 7
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, or anywhere else if they have a good reputation.
Location Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Parts Preferences: I have heard good things about ASUS. The system I am replacing is an EVGA... my 7 year old ASUS laptop still works nicely.
Overclocking: Probably not, I don't want to need to buy another computer in the next year or two.
SLI or Crossfire Maybe in a year or two when cost has gone down.
Monitor Resolution 1920 x 1080 (27'' Samsung)
Additional Comments: I have a window... so a little bling wouldn't be out of the question. I like quiet PCs, walks through Skyrim, and Witcher 2. I do a bit of programming on the side.
Why am I upgrading? Something went bad with my EVGA system... I think it is the motherboard, but EVGA doesn't think so. It could also be memory. In the end though the biggest reason is it won't run Windows XP anymore and although it runs Ubuntu just fine I want to do more with it.

Here is what I have been looking at:
- ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard here
- Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor here
- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 here
-- Question: ASUS recomends CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 here. Which is quite a bit more expensive. Being that I don't do this a lot... are there any reviews/benchmarks that show 32 GB of my Vengeance memory(2x 8GB x2) vs their 32 GB Dominator GT memory (4x8GB)?
- ASUS GTX670-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 670 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card here
- ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS here
- Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM here
- ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler here

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Oh dear... Please tell me this is for something other than gaming?

You're wasting money in all the wrong ways.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't bought the SSD or PSU yet, don't get either. Especially the SSD. An 830 would be faster AND more reliable, as would a 840 pro or OCZ Vertex 4.

HeraklesXL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Yes, I already have the SSD and PSU. I bought the SSD on Black Friday for $300... seemed like a good idea at the time... ;) and it beats the pants off of my old 7200RPM hard drive. I didn't realize until after that it is a TLC drive not a MLC drive. So far it hasn't given me any trouble though.

The PSU I thought I needed because I was doing SLI with my old machine. You are probably right, I doubt I need 1000W, but Cooler Master seemed like a good brand and I wanted to make sure it would work with my next system. At one point I considered over-clocking my EVGA system... but it went bad before I could try. That's why I am not really looking at over-clocking now.

Any specifics as to what you think I am wasting money on? This is mostly for gaming, but I do take my work home with me from time to time and it is good to be able to build data and compile large amounts of code quickly. I am not stuck on any of these components by any means. If there is a good argument for it I would consider getting a smaller faster SSD as well. Most of these parts I just took from my local expensive PC store's spec sheet. The one change I made was the Intel Core i7-3770S from their Intel Core i7-3770K and that was just because I was thinking I don't want to over-clock, and if I understand correctly it is the same performance wise as the Intel Core i7-3770 but is more efficient energy wise.