Sign in with
Your question

No DTS from pc to tv (hdmi) and tv to amp (spdif) connection

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 7:13:19 AM

Hi
my pc is connected to the LG32 inch LE4500 tv with hdmi cabel and i'm getting sound from my tv.I have connected the tv to my onkyo ht s3400 amp with fiber optic cable (spdif) but i'm getting only mono sound from it no DTS.All realtek drivers are installed from the dh67cl intel motherboard cd .What am i doing wrong?I've spent hours trying to figure it out but it wont work i even reinstalled win7 .before re install of win7 i was getting dts from the amp but it stopped suddenly.I'm a newbie at all this so please help .
The options in the sound card realtek software are DIGITAL OUTPUT,DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL),SPEAKERS and MICROPHONE.Win7 shows my LG tv and when i right click on it and click TEST i can hear sound.When i do the same with SPEAKERS,REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT AND DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL) i see the green bars move up and down but cannot hear any sound .
What am i doing wrong .
Thank You.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 6:04:47 PM

divyabhatia said:
Hi
my pc is connected to the LG32 inch LE4500 tv with hdmi cabel and i'm getting sound from my tv.I have connected the tv to my onkyo ht s3400 amp with fiber optic cable (spdif) but i'm getting only mono sound from it no DTS.All realtek drivers are installed from the dh67cl intel motherboard cd .What am i doing wrong?I've spent hours trying to figure it out but it wont work i even reinstalled win7 .before re install of win7 i was getting dts from the amp but it stopped suddenly.I'm a newbie at all this so please help .
The options in the sound card realtek software are DIGITAL OUTPUT,DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL),SPEAKERS and MICROPHONE.Win7 shows my LG tv and when i right click on it and click TEST i can hear sound.When i do the same with SPEAKERS,REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT AND DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL) i see the green bars move up and down but cannot hear any sound .
What am i doing wrong .
Thank You.

Most LG tvs don't have dts [no decoding,not even pass thru].You can get ac3 5.1 over digitak[optical or coax].
If you get kinda mono...this is strange.Maybe your pc sends the sound with a big bitrate or bit depth and the digital output of your lg alows only one channel.Pls.set your soundcard[pc] to the basic sound quality[16 bit,44.1].Pls use ffdshow codec pack[this one can decode dts and ac3,among others]AND can encode the decoded stream "on the fly"to multich. ac3.So...you'll get not mono,not stereo but 5.1 ac3 to your Onkyo.
M
P.S.Basicly you can decode any sound track with your pc and reencode[in the same time] to a codec that suitsforo your tv[ac3].
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 6:49:28 PM

You basically need to go the other way. PC -> Receiver -> TV to get what you want. Even when TVs have an ARC (Audio Return Channel) type feature, it's usually stereo at best.

So rewire the setup in the above config and you should be good to go.
m
l
!