Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 680 - But which manufacturer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 7:36:32 AM

Hey guys,

I'm building a new gaming PC and I'm really stuck on which GTX 680 manufacturer to choose.

A friend has suggested the Galaxy 4gb OC'd 680, but it does not seem to be a very 'popular' product. I do like the way it has three big fans to cool it down though.

Then there's EVGA, which people seem to highly recommend. then of course geforece, MSI, etc..

But I think it's out of those too at the moment, the Galaxy seems really robust.

I want to basically choose the card that provides the best temperatures, cooling, and I suppose speed.

TL;DR Which manufacturer makes 'the best' GTX 680?

The setup so far:

Cheers!

More about : gtx 680 manufacturer

a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 7:52:00 AM

the "best" is the MSI Lightning. "Best" is also subjective to: Max Speed. Temperature Noise etc, as not everyone values these the same. Some people hate noise for instance.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:05:51 AM

Depends on what you want to do in the future.... :) 

Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:06:48 AM

Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP get's my vote why not just buy a 670 MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition OC uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.
Score
October 23, 2012 8:17:58 AM

yeah get a GTX 670 or a Radeon 7970
No point in speeding extra for that small amount of extra performance offered by the 680
Score
October 23, 2012 8:18:16 AM

dudewitbow said:
the "best" is the MSI Lightning. "Best" is also subjective to: Max Speed. Temperature Noise etc, as not everyone values these the same. Some people hate noise for instance.

forgot to include the noise of it, everything you suggested is what I determine a 'better' card than another.

amuffin said:
Depends on what you want to do in the future.... :) 

gaming, rendering. I wanna thrash the bitch :) 

bigcyco1 said:
Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP get's my vote why not just buy a 670 MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition OC uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.

I will definently check the 670 mate, thanks. It will save me a bit of cash too I presume. But if it's default clock speed is faster then the 680's I will check it for sure.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:22:12 AM

Are you going to watercool? :) 
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:24:11 AM

miansc said:
forgot to include the noise of it, everything you suggested is what I determine a 'better' card than another.

gaming, rendering. I wanna thrash the bitch :) 

I will definently check the 670 mate, thanks. It will save me a bit of cash too I presume. But if it's default clock speed is faster then the 680's I will check it for sure.
Here look http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
Score
October 23, 2012 8:25:25 AM

MSI Lightning. Nuff said.
Score
October 23, 2012 8:27:29 AM

jaideep1337 said:
yeah get a GTX 670 or a Radeon 7970
No point in speeding extra for that small amount of extra performance offered by the 680

Had no idea of the 670's power, thanks@

amuffin said:
Are you going to watercool? :) 

Nah I'm not, I will however be looking to use the best possible setup I can to keep my components cool.

Cheers buddy
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:38:09 AM

The_Assassin said:
MSI Lightning. Nuff said.
Not nuff said unless he knows how to unlock it voltage is locked now though there is a way to unlock it if he decides to get it i know how :whistle: 
Score
October 23, 2012 8:41:37 AM

I prefer factory overclocks/tampering, lol. I was never into pc gaming till a few months ago, so still learning about the setups/hardware. I'm more of a coder than a hardware enthusiast.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:43:55 AM

miansc said:
I prefer factory overclocks/tampering, lol. I was never into pc gaming till a few months ago, so still learning about the setups/hardware. I'm more of a coder than a hardware enthusiast.
:lol:  Understandable
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 8:45:50 AM

miansc said:
Too easy, thanks.

I guess my next question is, apart from factory overclocking, can these other manufactures actually offer a better performing 'gtx 670/680' even though they use the same nVidia chip?
If your not wanting to overclock it yourself or do bios mods and volt mods the 670 i recommended is a good choice or Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP
October 23, 2012 8:51:18 AM

Gee, I really hate this. There's so many variations of the exact same thing and makes it overwhelming hard to choose lol.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 9:01:23 AM

miansc said:
Gee, I really hate this. There's so many variations of the exact same thing and makes it overwhelming hard to choose lol.
Are you in U.S.? If so there is no arguing it get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... best bang for your buck! :D 
Score
October 23, 2012 9:11:21 AM

miansc said:

The ASUS DC2T comes clocked the highest but the Lightning is right behind and if you just follow a few steps, the Lightning will surpass it on clocks and can be voltage controlled.
Score
October 23, 2012 9:15:45 AM

The_Assassin said:
The ASUS DC2T comes clocked the highest but the Lightning is right behind and if you just follow a few steps, the Lightning will surpass it on clocks and can be voltage controlled.

Is this the 680 or 670?
Score
October 23, 2012 9:22:11 AM

miansc said:
Is this the 680 or 670?

Score
October 23, 2012 9:36:03 AM

The_Assassin said:

Sweet as, it's around the $600 mark, looks good.

2GB of memory is plenty right? Or should I opt for 4GB to secure up coming games?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 10:05:02 AM

miansc said:
Sweet as, it's around the $600 mark, looks good.

2GB of memory is plenty right? Or should I opt for 4GB to secure up coming games?
:lol:  2gb is enough 600 holy crap what a rip off if you like it go for it :D 
Score
October 23, 2012 10:09:19 AM

Yeah that's like everything dude.. massive US based companies so obviously you guys get it cheaper sadface

Yeah might get that or one of the other suggested ones.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 10:15:05 AM

miansc said:
Yeah that's like everything dude.. massive US based companies so obviously you guys get it cheaper sadface

Yeah might get that or one of the other suggested ones.
Yeah sucks they rob you like that :(  as long as you enjoy the card i guess that's all that matters in the end :) 
Score
October 23, 2012 10:16:36 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

I'm in au as well, and I believe the higher prices are actually because AU shops don't buy in bulk. We have less than 500 000 actual people interested in pc's, in comparison to much more in America and what not, so we pay more because it costs vendors more to get it here, because they don't buy in large amounts. It does kinda suck that we pay more, which is why its great if you ever to go America, to buy computer parts there. Although I never recommend to buy a PSU out of Australia.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 10:19:42 AM

^ hahaha that is old news been fixed
Score
October 23, 2012 10:23:56 AM

Ok, just making sure its been noted. I'm probably never going to buy MSI GPU's after this, as much as I like them, even if they fixed it/honor their warranty, it just makes me feel angry that no one notices such a thing until several months after its released.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 10:26:54 AM

JJ1217 said:
Ok, just making sure its been noted. I'm probably never going to buy MSI GPU's after this, as much as I like them, even if they fixed it/honor their warranty, it just makes me feel angry that no one notices such a thing until several months after its released.
Understandable i think it was something they only did on recent batches i took my cards apart they were not like that and how come every professional review recommends the card i find it all fishy on all parties involved but i understand your point
Score
October 23, 2012 10:56:54 AM

JJ1217 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

I'm in au as well, and I believe the higher prices are actually because AU shops don't buy in bulk. We have less than 500 000 actual people interested in pc's, in comparison to much more in America and what not, so we pay more because it costs vendors more to get it here, because they don't buy in large amounts. It does kinda suck that we pay more, which is why its great if you ever to go America, to buy computer parts there. Although I never recommend to buy a PSU out of Australia.

Yeah I guess that's one of the main reasons, not a real gaming market here.

Where do you get your parts from anyway? My top 3 I am constant;y browsing are MSY, PcCaseGear and Center Com.
Score
October 23, 2012 1:40:09 PM

I would go with the gigbayte 670 OC windforce or a asus gtx 670 TOP.
Score
October 23, 2012 7:09:16 PM

Mwave, and IJK are good for sales sometimes, although Mwave's postage is sometimes ridiculous (I live like 1/2 an hour from their main warehouse, and most things cost at least 11.50 to get shipped to me)
Score
October 23, 2012 10:39:14 PM

The lightning is down to 479.99 on Newgg.
Score
October 31, 2012 4:58:46 AM

I appreciate all your answers, guys. TH is asking me to pick a best answer, as I have not chosen which GPU i'll be picking yet, I can't choose an answer.

All great suggestions though and will mos likely be going with a bossed out, oc'd 670.

Cheers
Score
November 6, 2012 11:19:10 PM

Best answer selected by miansc.
Score
!