andreo

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hello everyone
been reading this forum alot for different help i needed with windows 7, now I need help with windows 8

I've been searching hard to find a fix to install my radeon hd 4550 agp on windows 8, i am running on the basic microsoft displaye driver, I cant seem to get CCC running eaither, seems like windows 8 wont recognise my radeon or that I have a AGP card installed.

I really need help with this, with windows 7 i had the same problem, but I used the hot fix to get it working , but now on windows 8 no matter which driver i download, windows 8 wont recognise my radeon, i am not sure what to do, it really seems like my agp card is not supported by windows 8, is their any way arround this? can anyone please help me out, my display refresh rate is 64hz which kinda hurts my eyes, is there a quick fix for this, what can i do?

nadz953

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Windows is the biggest piece of *** for an operating system. If Apple was compatible with everything I wouldnt think twice. Sorry but I can't help.

andreo

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I like some features of windows 8, i mean there is alot that needs to be fixed but is really fun to use, i dont really want to go back to windows 7 after using windows 8, I think one of my biggest problems is that CCC is not even running, and i am running on basic display adapters, it wont recognise any of my ati install atemps, never installs the ati drivers, if i try to do it manualy it tells me that is not support by this windows, i even tried installing the ati drivers with windows 7 comptaiblity, idk wat else to do now, besides going back to windows 7 and wait it out, anyways it be nice if someone has like a simple explanation on how to fix this

andreo

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
already tried is their a special way to install it , i managed to unistalled display drivers windows 8 provides but it wont install any ati drivers, please help

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Truly old computer? You don't need Windows 8. If you had said you have a Core Duo I'd say sure, go ahead, but you're still kicking around with AGP. I run the Win8 turd on my laptop because of the oh-so-impressive boot time, however you are dealing with trying to take one of the Apollo moon rockets and fly to Mars with it. While a calculator is good enough to get to the moon, it fails when trying to reach past that.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The final version of Windows 8 hasn't been released to the public but I doubt it will perform any diferently with your old videocard. Corporate RTM versions are available but you shouldn't have that unless you pirated it. Upgrade your PC or go back to Windows 7.

andreo

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I have a pentium D and radeon 4500 hd, it runs games up to Battlefield 3, i am sure it can run windows 8, there has to be a way to turn on agp but if not ill just go back to windows xp or 7, if anyone has a good answere or another thread where this was solved please let me know thanks

baloocci

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
AGP worked well in windows 7 till the catalyst release 12.4, he HD 3850, 4650, 4670 are great AGP cards but now amd has shifted its focus from 4000 series to 5000 series and above till 7000's. The last fastest AGP was 4670 which was released at almost the same time win 7 was released and the last properly working set of drivers for AGP is the 12.4 catalyst release, the 12.6 is the last released drivers for the 4000's and below before AMD making them as legacy devices. The 12.6 release should work for AGPs as well but that is not the case and AMD is not bothered about it. Driver releases after 12.6 are for 5000's and above, there is also a legacy 12.6 release for Windows 8 which is supposed to work for both AGPs below 5000 series at WDDM 1.1 driver level features. AMD did not test 12.6 release properly for AGP in win 7, not sure about Win 8 release as i havent moved to win 8 yet. ideally 12.6 release for Win 8 should support both AGP and PCIE below the 5000 series , like it was supported in Win 7 as there is no clear mention from either side (neither microsoft nor AMD) that AGP will not work anymore. This is a bad move from both sides, with the world already witnessing a dwindling pc sales, they really should reconsider supporting the AGP by just releasing atleast a working set of drivers if not continually supporting it like they do it for their mainstream series,which AMD has done but all it takes is just verifying if it really works. What i understand is they may not give much importance to supporting AGP legacy devices than pcie legacy devices

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista32.aspx
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalystlegacywin8.aspx

AGP may not serve the demands of gamers but when AGP can play bluray flawlessly (HD 4650 with UVD 2.0)at full hd resolutions why shouldnt these companies just keep it alive.

canki

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

Hi, andreo!
I have Radeon HD2600XT and run into same problem when I installed Windows 8, but I finally manage to install drivers properly, this is how I did that:
1. Download Catalyst 12.3 APG Hotfix for Windows 7 (I found it on sapphire tech support)
2. Extract it content on hard drive
3. Then you can try installer, but in my case this doesn't work
4. Go left-bottom corner, right click and select Device Manager
5. Find your video card, open properties, select driver tab and then click Update driver
6. Select something like "search on local computer"
7. On next screen choose path where you extracted Catalyst content at step 2
8. Click next and Windows should find correct driver and install it

Hope this helps

petrus_52

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Hi canki,

I have the same problem as andreo. My AGP card is a HD 3450 and I am unable to find a working driver for that under Windows 8. I will try your method in order to overcome this problem. Could you give me more information about the AGP Hotfix file you mentionned in your post? On the Sapphire site I could not find it, but I found a file with a similar name elsewhere: 12-3_agp_hotfix_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe? Is this the correct one?

Thanks in advance

peteris

canki

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hi petrus_52,

Catalyst APG Hotfix is the official version of Catalyst for AGP Cards here is page on AMD tech support, but it is of version 12.6 which is not recongized by windows 8 as compatible for my video card. You may be more lucky :)

I can't find oldest version on amd site, but manage to find it on sapphire tech support site, here is link for you, look into "Download" section under description.

Also looks like you found correct file, but you can use links above if you wants to be sure.

petrus_52

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Hi canki,

It seems I really found the correct file. Today I succeeded in installing a working driver to my HD 3450 card, using the hotfix described in my previous post. Firstly I failed, because that file is for 32bit systems and I have a 64bit PC, but I could easily find the 64bit version as well and that worked flawlessly. I didn't try to install CCC, I concentrated on the driver only and used the method described by you. This is a major breakthrough for me, I was struggling with this issue for ages. Thanks again for your help.