Sign in with
Your question

Looking For Grahpics Card To Play GW2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 10:47:42 AM

I love MMO’S ever since i firsted tasted what they where about i loved them! I could never go back to single player games because they felt so dead (apart from mass effect woo!)

Now GW2 is the first MMO that has really got me excited, the first MMO that i have been apart of since launch.

As such i wanted to spend some money on building a budget rig to play the game as best as i can afford!

Ive already put a few bits in but i need help finding a good budget graphics card which will help me reach the optimum potential of my rig.

So here it is (remeber i dont have much spare cash so dont laugh at my rig xD)

I3 (Ivy bridge 3320, looking at the CPU ranking it said the Gen3 i3 is better than the gen1 i7) £85

Asus Mother board with 3.0 PCI and USB (with those mini pci thingy’s) £40

DDR3 8GB Vegence ram £40

(a cool gaming case with 6 cooling fans xD) £40

Windows 7 64bt Ultimate

Now the graphics card i have in it already is two years old its the Saphire 5550 ultimate (1GB DDR2 550mhz)

Now not knowing a huge amount about PC builds i had more fun reaserching the best bang for my buck and building it … chances are ive made horrible choices but hey i had fun and its all i could afford.

Now i assumed that the graphics card is probibly going to be the most important part of my build so i wanted to spend abit more money on it, hence why i didnt buy a new one right away, i wanted to save up for a decent on to finish of my rig.

As it stands i have all the graphics settings on high apart from shadows and reflections and all the graphics check boxes ticked apart from the top one. I get around 17-20fps it might sound low but i dont see any huge lag when running around and it is still very smooth only thing i strugle with is the cut scenes on the vantage points lol.

Im hopeing that buying a decent graphics card will nicely polish off my rig and boost my FPS right up and maybe even allow me to have Super sampleing rather than standard.

I love high graphic games and ill sacrifice high fps for amazing visuals aslong as it isnt hugely laggy.

Any help would be great! im looking to spend around the £100 range for a nice graphics card but if you think id need more then id save more.

Thanks!!
Phil

More about : grahpics card play gw2

October 23, 2012 11:35:57 AM

My power supply is just standard i think =/

I double checked and i only have 4 fans on the case not six sorry lol

Checked that link and found this card can any confirm it will give me the proformance i need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-7850-Graphics-GDDR5-PC...

Thanks again
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 11:41:29 AM

Sure, a 7850 will have enough horsepower, but the question of power supply becomes important. It needs to be at least a good quality 500W to cope with the 7850. You will need to find out what unit you have installed.
October 23, 2012 12:05:09 PM

Hmm ok how much doe these upgraded power supplys cost?

Is the Radeon HD 7750 any good in which case or would i not see enough gain?

Also when searching for a graphics card at a retailer how come when i enter the code "Radeon HD 7750 " lots of difference manufactorers pop up with differnt types of cards. surly a Radeon HD 7750 is a Radeon HD 7750 what difference can there be?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 12:08:16 PM

Oh you would see a gain from the 5550 to the 7750. No doubt about it. I would say push it a bit more and get a 7770, you should be able to support it on your PSU as-is, and you'll get a really nice boost out of that one as well, even over the 7750.

Edit: Right now, steer clear of MSI. They have been caught with their pants down toying with things that ought not to be toyed with, to the detriment of their customers.
October 23, 2012 12:14:09 PM

While ive got you on do you think it would be worth investing in a better PSU to support such a beasty graphics card or would the 7770 be more than enough?

Also could i have our opinion on my build.

Do you think what i have put together has been a good choice at good value or do you think i should of pushed just that little bit more to get better specs

Also would the 7770 be able to handle "supersampleing" on GW2

Thankyou so much for getting back to me
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 12:24:35 PM

For supersampling you'd need some serious horsepower, like a GTX 670 which is way out of your price range.

Any higher than a 7770 and you're up above the £150 range not including the PSU. If that's the path you want to take then we can find you something that'll work. Here's a 7770 to tide you over:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-HD7770-Graphics...

£99.94 with free shipping.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 12:37:25 PM

I know a handful of people with better machines than yours that have issues with supersampling, so an i3 and a 7770 definitely can't do it. I have "flipped the switch" on mine and watch the frames slideshow by while admiring how cool it looks, but it's only a dream....especially on a laptop.
October 23, 2012 12:58:54 PM

Have i doomed my gaming experience by getting the gen 3 i3?

Or would an expencive graphics card make up for it and allow supersampling?

Thanks again
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:06:58 PM

AA has nothing to do with the CPU. And forget about supersampling unless you want to spend $200 or more on a graphics card.
October 23, 2012 1:08:22 PM

Is there any truth in this?

I normally find AMD to have the best quality to price ratio but in this case AMD have made a big mistake by moving the price bracket of this card up to the same as last years 68xx series cards which is a huge price difference and not one that many gamers will be going to put up with especially when the price for last years 68xx and some 69xx series cards can be bought on amazon for used and new at around the same price point only they offer a huge performance increase over these 77xx series cards. So if you want a graphics card that has all the latest tech and innovations without losing out in your wallet or from performance you should probably take a look at the 68xx and 69xx series cards. Thanks
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:18:53 PM

Yes and no. For instance, the 6850 outperforms the 7770 in many cases, due to the 7770's lower memory bandwidth. But with the performance increases being offered by newer driver for the 7xxx series, they have the potential to scale much further than the 6xxx series.

October 23, 2012 1:30:43 PM

I see so in basic terms the hd7770 (at the moment) is the most powerfull graphics card before you start going into silly money and having to buy a new PSU?

a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:38:04 PM

An i3 is right around what you need to game with, especially since most modern games are multithreaded. That feature throws the whole Turbo mode that i5's and i7's have right out the window (a good chunk of the time), so they're back down to their base clock just as if they were an i3. Your CPU is fine, you'd just need one beast of a GPU to do supersampling or anything past 4x MSAA.

Edit: something far superior to a 7770 would do for supersampling, but you're looking at a new PSU and a lottery-winning GPU (600w 80 plus bronze, GTX 670 2GB).
October 23, 2012 1:50:19 PM

So to confirm a 7770 is the most powerful GPU without upgrading my powersuply?
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:53:14 PM

HODSY said:
I see so in basic terms the hd7770 (at the moment) is the most powerfull graphics card before you start going into silly money and having to buy a new PSU?

The 7750 does not require external power, the 7770 needs around a 450W unit. You will need to check the specs of your existing PSU, as I said previously.
October 23, 2012 2:13:49 PM

So not only does it need to be 450W it has to be a special type that has the connector to plug into the back of the GPU?
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:16:20 PM

Any decent 450W PSU will have a 6pin connector for a GPU. No need to worry about that.
October 23, 2012 2:21:53 PM

Thankyou for all your answeres and patients.

In your opinion for what im trying to achive graphics wise am i best of going with

A:7750 (if i dont have the right PSU

B:getting a better PSU to get a better GPU

Or will the difference between the two be worth the money without going for a GPU like a GTX670

Thanks again
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:26:18 PM

It depends on how much money you are willing to spend, simple as that.
October 23, 2012 2:33:50 PM

ok so if we look at both ends of the spectrum

Best GPU before you have to upgrade your PSU for a reasonable amount

Best GPU after you change to a modular PSU for amazing amounts of money

But then you have all these GPU's in the middle that require a more powerfull power supply but dont cost amazing amounts like the 7850 we talked about earlier

so my question is without jumping to the silly priced GPU's is it worth the money to go that extra bit and get somthing like the 7850 which isnt a stupid price, but obviously you have to invest in another PSU, instead of a 7770

are the gains worth the money or from what im wanting to use it for (MMO's) or am i just best sticking with a nice mid-high range GPU like the 7770

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 3:10:59 PM

HODSY said:
ok so if we look at both ends of the spectrum

Best GPU before you have to upgrade your PSU for a reasonable amount

Best GPU after you change to a modular PSU for amazing amounts of money

But then you have all these GPU's in the middle that require a more powerfull power supply but dont cost amazing amounts like the 7850 we talked about earlier

so my question is without jumping to the silly priced GPU's is it worth the money to go that extra bit and get somthing like the 7850 which isnt a stupid price, but obviously you have to invest in another PSU, instead of a 7770

are the gains worth the money or from what im wanting to use it for (MMO's) or am i just best sticking with a nice mid-high range GPU like the 7770

Thanks

Those are questions whose answers are inherently subjective. Only you can determine the worth of a given purchase seeing as your money is yours and the degree to which you value that money is inherently subjective.

In other words... I think the help in this thread is done with. Up to you to make the final decision.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 4:58:05 PM

^I agree. Now you have to weigh price vs performance vs games to be played vs required settings. Welcome to the world of PC upgrades!
!