Sign in with
Your question

Building Gaming/GFX Design System for ~$800

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2012 12:41:44 PM

Hello all! Im new to this forum, I heard it was popular and decided to ask a few questions about my new system Im building since Im kind of a tech newb :p 

My work is focused primarily in the graphic design field, so lets just say Ill need this new machine to be pretty swift with Adobe CS6 products and 3d rendering apps like Maya/4D cinema/3ds max. I'm not much of a gamer, but I do like to game a bit and try out new ones every now and then.

This my incomplete parts list I've been building, but still need help to decide which will be best suited for my needs. The only thing I have purchased so far is the RAM since I felt it was crazy cheap for mmm mmmm goodness :D  32 gb at 1600Mhz (4x8Gb sticks) for only $140 at tigerdirect.ca . I hope this was a good choice? I don't know how important memory speed is for me?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 ($190) or Intel Core i7-3770K ($320) ???

-which is better for Adobe CS6 apps AND the ability of running them simultaneously? does it matter here that the AMD has 8 cores while the Intel i7 has 4 cores?

-i would like to run games on this machine, but it doesn't necessarily have to be on the highest settings

Motherboard: ?????

-i don't understand so much about motherboards, except that you attach all the components to them lol! it just needs to have 4 DIMM slots for my 32 GB of RAM and USB 3.0 and i guess thats it. I mean i don't know what else i need?? why do they go from $50 to like $400??? i mean is the $50 enough for me? or maybe something between $100-150?? can someone recommend me a good mobo after choosing which CPU is first better suited for me. Thanks :) 

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G 16GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - DDR3, 1600MHz, 2x8GB, CL10, 240 Pin, DIMM (x2 = 32 GB) PURCHASED ($140)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - 2048MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16) or EVGA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB GDDR5 ???

according this review I feel the Radeon does fair a lot better, no?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

particularly in terms of applying image/video effects and GPGPU tests, however sometimes the gtx 660 does come above
they both go for about $230

PSU: 600W Coolmaster (from 5 years ago on my old system) or will i need a more powerful one?

The TOTAL comes to about $700 if i get the Intel i7 and ~$800 for the AMD FX 8350

Thanks for your input toms hardware folks :) 

More about : building gaming gfx design system 800

December 14, 2012 2:05:15 PM

anyone help please?
!