How to reset ip address for windows 7

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I see where you have a quesition listed but the answers are vague...to me anyway....like how to reset IP address for Win 7 and it takes you to a XP dialog box...my problem is when I try to connect wirelessly I get the old ''Limited Access'' and not connected in the status box. And the wireless connection utility shows my old IP address as autoconfigured to IPv4 169.xxx.xx whereas it should be 192.xxx.xxx.x the 169 number was for a connection I had security on but that company went out of business and now I have an Alfa usb hi-gain antenna that picks up my work place that I can share a connection to but it keeps going back to my old IP address and when I go to the star>control panel>internet connection> connections tab all I have is the LAN. At this point I am having to use a Virgin Mobile usb dongle to go on line and it is as about as good as dial-up slow as Christmas in August...and would like to connect to the linksys at work which I show 4-5 bars in signal strength....somebody help me....thanks
Sam~

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I have a laptop and the router is about 800' as the crow flies and yes I know the password but it is an open site and not password set because we have people at work (new hires) that have a hand held device that they have to take tests on (DirecTV) about every other week for several hours so the owner just left it open so they could acccess the site...and I got one of those Alfa 1w higain antennas to pull it in because there is no clean line of sight due to trees and buildings but with this antenna it shot up to 4-5 bars from 1 bar on my onboard Broadcam card. I have a HP Pavilion Dv7 thanks Emerald for taking the time....
Sam~

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
by the way I did change the IP in the wireless connection dialog box but when the Realtek card reads the router it defaults back to that 169.xxx. number...I was thinking about the ping thing but it will not as I am not connected and it won't ipconfig /release if unconnected either....kinda like a catch 22....what I am trying to do is get off this pay as you go Sprint dongle deal because at work we have Road Runner turbo business set up and like I mentioned it's only about 7-800' away....and with this Alfa it is showing a strong signal....

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
yes I toggled that off when I installed the Realtek driver for the USB antenna.....and it remains toggled off when at home...that was one of the first things mentioned when downloading the driver.....

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
the issue is not getting closer to the router because I already receive a strong signal it is that the router is giving me a ''Limited Access'' flag when I try to connect and the higain antenna is to pick up a better signal which it does do...4-5bars the router is still showing a 169.xxx.xx.x IP address which I know for a fact is 192.168.1.1 as it is set to default for the above mentioned reasons.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
yup tried that and still get Limited Access....I was thinking it could be something in my administrative tool>services dialog box that is toggled off but I gave that a good going over and restarted everything I could find that was disabled or stopped to no avail....this has become a real poser as to why an open router with unencrypted access is giving me fits to tie in to...

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
only one on that one and very weak....funny thing when I run the connection trouble shooter it comes back unable to determine the cause....I am of the mind the router needs to be rebooted and it will be out of pocket til Monday at the earliest due to the holidays

being that the router is 7-800ft away it reaches the outer limits of a N-network without using a high gain antenna on the router itself.

your current setup is like you having binoculars and can clearly see the router but the router without any additional device cannot see you standing beyond at the horizon.

You can send the request to the router but you cannot receive since you are out of the routers range.

if the router has external antennas, you might be able to upgrade them with high gain ones so that the router can transmit further

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
you know what that makes all the sense in the world ...just because I can pick it up doesn't mean it can pick me up, for some reason I was thinking all you had to do was receive but you also so have to send....it is in g and it is an older linksys WTRG54 if my memory is correct circa late 90's the type with two rubber ducky antennas...that'll be the next step to put a gain on that thing....thanks my man
Sam~

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
found out over the weekend that the modem from timewarner was bad and that was the problem....went to a wifi site and the moderator pretty much said if you can ''see'' it it should be able to function....