Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good, compatible build?

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2012 1:21:09 PM

I'm getting ready to build my own PC, my budget is $2500 and I have already chosen my parts. Thing is, I need to know if it is all compatible as I have not done this before. The computer is for gaming and video/graphics editing, and I want it to be a beast. My parts are as follows:

MoBo - ASUS Maximus V EXTREME

CPU - I7-3770 Ivy Bridge

GPU - EVGA GTX 680 4GB

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400

Case - HAF X Full Sized

PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Gold-Plus Full Modular

HDD - Western Digital 1.5TB 7200

CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Extreme

I will also be buying a decent mouse and monitor. If there are any suggestions please let me hear them so that I do not screw this up.

More about : good compatible build

December 12, 2012 1:35:07 PM

Well the 1200 watt psu is overkill. Do you plan to sli in the future? If not a 650W should work just fine for your build. I would drop that down and use the saved cash for an ssd. That will make life MUCH better especially in your graphic editing. Using your ssd on a big project with tons of layers is amazing. No lag or delay ever.

Not many are fans of the closed loop liquid coolers. So you'll get suggestions to change that out. Other then that looks like a nice build.
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:36:03 PM

people say that the noctua air cooler is better than the H100, but idk
maybe the new H100i is better? idk.
ask amuffin
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 1:43:47 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Could you link me a good SSD, because I'm not very familiar with them, and I am keeping the big PSU because I may mess with SLI when Crysis 3 comes out.
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:47:16 PM

Nirkana said:
Thanks for the quick reply! Could you link me a good SSD, because I'm not very familiar with them, and I am keeping the big PSU because I may mess with SLI when Crysis 3 comes out.

Samsung 840 or 830. If you can afford it get a 250ish GB model. It's a bit expensive.. But ssd's are a game changer. Especially when it comes to smooth graphics work. Ever open Photoshop in less then a second? lol.

Heres a Watt calculator. Your psu even with sli is still a bit overkill so u can still save some money there (the brand is a good choice thou)
http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index...
SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:50:04 PM

Wow that sounds nice, could it also boot up my operating system in the same way?
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:58:17 PM

Nirkana said:
Wow that sounds nice, could it also boot up my operating system in the same way?

Yes it will change your boot times from 30seconds to a minute and cut that down to less then 5 seconds. (it'll take longer to post/bios then load the OS) SSD's are fast way faster then any hdd you'll find. And 256gb is enough to throw your photoshop some games and other stuff on as well.
m
l
!