Sign in with
Your question

Compatible graphics card for 780G chipset.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 12:54:19 PM

Hello everyone,

I planning to upgrade my PC graphics card and really need help here from the gurus out there. :hello: 

My motherboard is GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1) with AMD 780 G chipset with integrated graphics Radeon HD 3200. I am planning to add a physical graphics card to my machine. I know that my MB supports ATI hybrid graphics technology and i am looking for the graphics that supports this feature. Can anyone suggest me the graphics card compatible with my MB and that offers the ATI hybrid graphics feature.

Thanks,
Jack

a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 1:06:22 PM

Forget about using the hd 3200 as a counter part to hybrid graphics as it is a piece of rubbish and the second card would be downclocked to the settings of the intergrated card and you would be limited to dx 10. The important part of the motherboard is that it has a PCI-E 2.0 slot so you just need to make sure the card you get is PCI-E 2.0 compatible. My understanding is that at the minute PCI-E 3.0 cards should also work fine in a PCI-E 2.0 slot as well but someone will need to confirm this.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 1:31:52 PM

I dint know that 2 graphics cards would have to be in sync if the crossfire is to be activated. If that is the case i would have to buy a old/outdated graphics which will not serve the purpose of me updating my system. I am trying make my system able so that i can run Crysis 3 smoothly ;) . I just digged into the 7750's specification and it does look to me that it would be compatible with my MB. Gotta go deep.Thanks Darkoil and Najirion.
m
l
October 23, 2012 1:32:56 PM

I have a similar Gigabyte mobo with an AM780G. Forget about using the hybrid graphics feature. It was hot when the AM780G was hot. Over a year ago I upgraded mine with a Phenom II 955BE cpu, and a HD5600. The system is fine with most games. Not at full features, but they all can work.
So yep, follow najirion's suggestion, these days the HD7750 is the deal. You would not need to change your power supply with this video card.
m
l
October 23, 2012 1:54:41 PM

felix666 said:
I have a similar Gigabyte mobo with an AM780G. Forget about using the hybrid graphics feature. It was hot when the AM780G was hot. Over a year ago I upgraded mine with a Phenom II 955BE cpu, and a HD5600. The system is fine with most games. Not at full features, but they all can work.
So yep, follow najirion's suggestion, these days the HD7750 is the deal. You would not need to change your power supply with this video card.

Yeah. I have already forgotten about the hybrid graphics feature ;)  . Man technology really gets old real soon. Yeah i will check out HD 7750.

Here are system specs. This baby has helped me enjoy great games but at cost of graphics quality :D 

Processor : Phenon 8650 Triple Core
RAM : 2 Gb (Would definitely up it to 4.)
PSU : 400W

I think all will be okay except for RAM the specification of 7750 says 4 GB which i will get upgraded eventually.

Any suggestions for improvement will be welcomed :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:17:53 PM

jackie_5041 said:
Yeah. I have already forgotten about the hybrid graphics feature ;)  . Man technology really gets old real soon. Yeah i will check out HD 7750.

Here are system specs. This baby has helped me enjoy great games but at cost of graphics quality :D 

Processor : Phenon 8650 Triple Core
RAM : 2 Gb (Would definitely up it to 4.)
PSU : 400W

I think all will be okay except for RAM the specification of 7750 says 4 GB which i will get upgraded eventually.

Any suggestions for improvement will be welcomed :D 

The PSU is an important aspect when choosing a new GPU. What is the exact specification of the PSU you have at the minute? What Amps on the 12v rail and does it have a supplementary 6 pin power connector? If you know the make and model of it you should post it up.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 2:21:39 PM

You're good with the HD7750.

Don't worry about your system RAM --- not really worth the additional cost.

You should really invest in a Deneb quad for your motherboard. Your 8650 is an original Phenom built on 65nm with limited L3 cache compared to the PhII Denebs (which have both a DDR2 and a DDR3 integrated memory controller).

m
l
October 23, 2012 2:55:25 PM

Darkoil said:
The PSU is an important aspect when choosing a new GPU. What is the exact specification of the PSU you have at the minute? What Amps on the 12v rail and does it have a supplementary 6 pin power connector? If you know the make and model of it you should post it up.

Well the site has the model of PSU but i has no details regarding the specs.

The power details are below

Voltage Amps
+3.3V 5A
+5.0V 38A
+12V 15A
-5V 0.3A

I don't think it has a 6 Pins. I see 4 pins here. Doesn't this means i gotta have to upgrade the PSU as well to get 7750 set up?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 3:20:35 PM

The HD7750 does not require an auxiliary 6-pin connector. It draws all of it power from the PCIe slot itself.

The PSU is your call. A new unit replacing an older unit is always advisable after 3-4 years when you upgrade components.

And your X3 8650 should be replaced. Period.

m
l
October 23, 2012 3:59:55 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.Appreciate It. Have a great day.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 4:13:55 PM

Wisecracker said:
The HD7750 does not require an auxiliary 6-pin connector. It draws all of it power from the PCIe slot itself.

The PSU is your call. A new unit replacing an older unit is always advisable after 3-4 years when you upgrade components.

And your X3 8650 should be replaced. Period.

just to be clear, MOST 7750's dont require 6 pins. theres a few 900 mhz models that actually do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 4:31:29 PM

jackie_5041 said:
Thank you all for your suggestions.Appreciate It. Have a great day.

The card you get might not need an extra 6 pin connector but that PSU looks like a low quality unit. The card itself only needs 55w so a sustained 15amps on the 12 volt rail is definatly enough for a 7750 but you also have to take into account what else is drawing power from the 12v rail. If you have a lot of peripherals in your PC then upgrading the PSU may not be a bad idea.
m
l
!