My PC has graphics choice confusion

tomrca

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hello, i have just installed a radeon HD 6450 now my pc is confused as to which card to use radeon or on-board. i haver disabled the on-board graphics but for some reason no matter which vga connection i use it always starts up on the opposite one despite the on-board being disabled. now i am totally confused, how can i fix this?

w7>p5gc-mx/133 ddr2 3gig

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Uh, if the cord is plugged into the GPU card, then that is the GPU being used by the system. Make sure latest drivers are installed for new card and maybe even uninstall the drivers for the onboard card.

tomrca

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
my bios options in chipset are
internal vga,
pci express/int-vga,
pci express/pci
pci/pci express
pci/int-vga

internal graphics mode select
enable 8mb
enable 1mb
disable

thanks for the fast response
tom

tomrca

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
well gents, i have gone through each of those settings but still it continues to act the goat and reverting to onboard graphics.
once windows has loaded if i hit the reset button it will then go to the radeon6450..

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
That's an interesting one.

Like ittimjones says, make sure your monitor is plugged into the discrete card, if your monitor has the option of 2 inputs disconnect all others.

Everything else seems right. Is your BIOS up to date?

From wikipedia:
PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned for full implementation in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0. Unfortunately, the increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and some older motherboards with 1.0/1.0a, but most motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1.

Your mobo is PCIe 1.0 and the card is PCIe2.1
Going by these specs
http://www.asus.de/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5GCMX1333/#specifications
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6450/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6450-overview.aspx#2

So that might be the issue

tomrca

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

hello all thanks for your assistance first of all and i followed all of the hints, tips and info provided. i eventually returned the unit to the vender where they stuck into a workhorse and it was resolved immediately, it was duff. i was angry at the fact that i had put so much time into trying to resolve the prob but so very pleased it was over

:hello: Tom

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
it was duff

Duff!
Duff-Beer-Barney.jpg