Advise on P&S Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Splendid

Hi all

Looking for a new P+S Digital, it must be 5 or above MP must have a good
lens I was going to get the Canon G6 which is almost perfect, (7mp also
takes the same battery, memory and even flash as my 20D) but it fails on one
important point. Because of my dodgy eyesight I cannot view the LCD display
so I need a camera that shows the exposure info in the normal viewfinder,
also I don't think holding the camera at arms length to view the LCD is the
most stable way to hold any camera.

Anyone know of a P&S camera that has viewfinder info.

Thanks

Paul

"Paul" <nobody@nowhere.com> writes:
> Hi all
>
> Looking for a new P+S Digital, it must be 5 or above MP must have a good
> lens I was going to get the Canon G6 which is almost perfect, (7mp also
> takes the same battery, memory and even flash as my 20D) but it fails on one
> important point. Because of my dodgy eyesight I cannot view the LCD display
> so I need a camera that shows the exposure info in the normal viewfinder,
> also I don't think holding the camera at arms length to view the LCD is the
> most stable way to hold any camera.
>
> Anyone know of a P&S camera that has viewfinder info.

On P&S cameras these days it's rare you get an optical viewfinder of
any sort. Of the ones I've seen that do have a viewfinder, I haven't
seen any with exposure info in them. For them to do so would add
cost, and with dSLR's beating down cost barriers, they aren't prone to
doing that. But, it may be out there, so it's a reasonable
question. I think though you may be wanting something that doesn't
exist on the market.

Is fixing the eyesight with corrective lenses an option? The G6 is a
great camera. As are the A series cameras.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

If you really need full viewfinder information, you need to find a
camera with an EVF, ie an electronic viewfinder rather than an optical
one. Most of the higher end prosumers have these, eg those Sony F717s
and F828s, Olympus C8080, Nikon 8700/8800, some of the Panasonics, and
so on. Most of these are a bit bulkier, and may be insulted by being
called P&S cameras.. (O;

Try www.dpreview.com - the buying guide allows you to put in exactly
that criteria..

"Paul" <nobody@nowhere.com> writes:

> also I don't think holding the camera at arms length to view the LCD
> is the most stable way to hold any camera.

I don't want to argue with the rest of your points, which may be more
than sufficient to sink that camera for you.

However, in my experience of more than 30 years of photography
specializing in low-light work, holding the camera out in front of you
*is* the most stable way to hand-hold a camera that I've ever
encountered...if you do it right, including the magic trick: put the
strap around your neck, and adjust the length so that you can pull
your elbows in to your stomach and press the camera gently out against
the strap. Notice all the triangles this makes! Triangles are stable
structures. (This opinion based on observing how slow a shutter-speed
I can reliably hand-hold at equivalent focal lengths. Tests involved
film SLRs, film rangefinder, and digital cameras. This trick is most
useful with digital cameras with an LCD that does live preview,
obviously; then you can hold the camera this way *and* frame
accurately at the same time.)

The way I see most people doing it, nope, not very stable at all. But
for your purposes what matters is the best *you* can manage to do it;
it doesn't matter how badly other people do it.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

> If you really need full viewfinder information, you need to find a
> camera with an EVF, ie an electronic viewfinder rather than an optical
> one. Most of the higher end prosumers have these, eg those Sony F717s
> and F828s, Olympus C8080, Nikon 8700/8800, some of the Panasonics, and
> so on. Most of these are a bit bulkier, and may be insulted by being
> called P&S cameras..

I started calling my F717 a *PoS* after the 3rd time I had to send it back
for warranty work. ;)

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Mr. Mark wrote:

>>If you really need full viewfinder information, you need to find a
>>camera with an EVF, ie an electronic viewfinder rather than an optical
>>one. Most of the higher end prosumers have these, eg those Sony F717s
>>and F828s, Olympus C8080, Nikon 8700/8800, some of the Panasonics, and
>>so on. Most of these are a bit bulkier, and may be insulted by being
>>called P&S cameras..
>

> I started calling my F717 a *PoS* after the 3rd time I had to send it back
> for warranty work. ;)

"Post or Ship"?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Piece of S%@! <g>