Question regarding Eyefinity + monitors with different aspect ratios

ballinskary

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
First off - I'm kind of new to the whole concept of multiple displays and Eyefinity and such, so please pardon any of my ignorance :D

I was wondering if someone could provide some guidance as I am looking to give Eyefinity a try but I don't know if I will be able to do it with the hardware/setup I am planning to use. First of all, computer specs-

AMD Phenom XII 955 quad-core 3.4ghz
HIS Radeon 5770 Ice-Q Turbo 5
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X AM3 mobo
4GB Corsair DDR3 ram
Windows 7 Pro

So here is my predicament - I am currently running two monitors - a 22" Acer G215HV and a 17" HP L1710; aspect ratios are 16:9 and 4:3, respectively. Both monitors run fine at their native resolution; the Acer is direct DVI and the HP is DVI>VGA. Obviously, I only use the Acer when I'm gaming. Here is my question - if I were to add another HP L1710 to the left side of the Acer, would Eyefinity be able to work without messing up any of the images? So, the final arrangement would have the 22" Acer in the center running out of the DisplayPort with an active DVI adapter, and the two L1710's on either side out of the two DVI ports converted to VGA.

I know this might seem like a cheepo rig to some of you guys, but I can procure another L1710 for less than $50 online, and with the correct adapters, if this were to work, I think I could get it running for under $100. My main concern is whether or not Eyefinity would force the 22" Acer into the same resolution as the HP monitors. I know that I have read that Eyefinity 2.0 can work with screens of different sizes, but I am not sure about different aspect ratios and resolutions. I have seen people mount a large, say, 27" landscape monitor in the center of their rig with two portrait-oriented 21" or 22" monitors on either side, but I have no clue if this works with Eyefinity.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I understand that I will have to dumb down my graphics settings in CCC for everything to go smoothly in-game, but before I do anything else I would like some insight.

As far as I know Eyefinity must have the same resolution and aspect ratio. I do not think you can mix 16:9 and 4:3 monitors like that. You can try it with the two you have as Eyefinity will work with two monitors although 3 is recommended. But at least you would know if Eyefinity will activate with your two monitors before you get the 3rd.

ballinskary

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

Very good call. I will give that a whirl and report back.

X0B1NN1

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
i have an eyefinity setup myself running off a single asus HD 7770 and both my side monitors are 4:3 and my center is a 16:9. there is no problems with doing this aside from all the monitors run the same screen resolution so the center screen suffers from a small amount of stretching. One of your monitors has to be running on the Display Port out put. if none of your monitors have DP you will need an ACTIVE Disply port adapter (NOT PASSIVE) the other two monitors do not matter how there hooked up. now i am using DVI DVI-VGA and DP VGA as i did my set up ghetto style ;)