Is it worth it to upgrade a 470 gtx to 680 gtx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techbaddie

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Pretty simple,

Is it worth it to upgrade a 470 gtx to 680 gtx?

1). Will I notice a difference?
2.) My games run pretty good on the 470 gtx right now, but I think there is room for improvement, maybe a whole lot..

Thanks

Solution
Probably not.
But... worth is something that only YOU can determine.

If your cpu is sufficiently strong to drive a great graphics card, then you can expect better eye candy, higher average fps, and better minimum fps.

An upgrade to a GTX670 will come very close to GTX680 performance.

The extra $50-$70 you might pay for a GTX680 over a GTX670 does not buy you that much incremental performance.
On the other hand, if budget is not a big issue, I have no problem with a GTX680. It is as good as it gets today with a single gpu card. If you do anything less, you may always wonder.

To help assess your cpu's ability to drive a stronger card, run this test:

Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases...
Probably not.
But... worth is something that only YOU can determine.

If your cpu is sufficiently strong to drive a great graphics card, then you can expect better eye candy, higher average fps, and better minimum fps.

An upgrade to a GTX670 will come very close to GTX680 performance.

The extra $50-$70 you might pay for a GTX680 over a GTX670 does not buy you that much incremental performance.
On the other hand, if budget is not a big issue, I have no problem with a GTX680. It is as good as it gets today with a single gpu card. If you do anything less, you may always wonder.

To help assess your cpu's ability to drive a stronger card, run this test:

Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.