Weird dots on screen

Dondroid

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
HI errbody,

I just bought a new computer and I got it all set up yesterday. Everything was fine until I updated flash, video card drivers and a few other things. These tiny red and blue dots started popping up. They'll shift around when I move windows or they'll move around on their own.

My video driver is up to date. I'm downloading almost 300mb worth of windows updates as we speak. Is there any reason why it would be doing this? Could I have a bad card?

Specs:
MSI GTX 670 2GB
i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz
ASUS P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX
8gb RAM

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If you take a screenshot with the printscreen button, and paste the screenshot into mspaint or something, do you see blue dots in the image itself (no longer moving around and such), if you can't tell, post it here :)

If there are static dots in the image itself, that means that something is probably wrong with your video card or (possibly drivers).

If there are no dots in the image, the problem is most likely the monitor itself (possibly the cable, or the connector though). Try different connectors, (ie: If you are connected to a VGA port, try switching to a DVI, or whatever is convenient) to see if it helps the problem.

For what it's worth, I have a monitor at work that does this on occasion, with green and blue dots that change depending on what is displayed on the screen (the other monitor doesn't exhibit the issue at all). If I power off the monitor, and turn it back on, it will go away usually. It's been having the problem for a few years, and it hasn't really gotten worse or better; I'm fairly sure it's the monitor itself, but I haven't spent much effort on it.

Dondroid

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks for replying.

I made sure the cable was connected and it's good to go.

I tried the screenshot trick and the dots do stay on the image. Is there a solution for this or should I just go ahead and start talking to MSI?