ATi HD-7850 crashing all the time!

hi, i've purchased this card about a month ago, it's made by Gigabyte, 'GV-R785OC-2GD' and it's been crashing every day! i can't be sure it's the card however all my other hardware did not change and PC never crash with my old GT-240 card which i sold it.

at the first week, the PC gets frozen after boot up and when Catalyst controller loads up (after windows start-up sound). the PC actually freeze up when that Green color AMD logo/icon appear at the taskbar and freeze right there.

after a driver update the PC no longer freeze at AMD icon, but now when im playing game or just surfing net(more often when gaming and only game i play is WoW), it will be completely frozen no respond at all on keyboard or mouse. even the 'hard-restart' and 'Power' button don't work. YES, i can't even force restart the PC. and the same times the speark come out buzzing noise, most the time the noise sound like the sound file i attach, and sometimes (Rarely) the speark put out sound that was the last sound it produce and keep on looping the final 0.2 second of sound.

after about 15-20 seconds of completely frozen (Power and restart button don't work) the power/restart button will become working again, however no matter which one i press the PC will instantly shut down.

there is no overheating problem at all CPU at 45c and video card 50c when playing games. what could be the problem pls help me out, it's getting very annoying doing it few times. thanks for help.

here is the sound file i upload to youtube!
http://youtu.be/0LsvIZDZG8s

i7-930
Asus P6T
6g ram
HD-7850
SSD and HDD
600w PSU
11 answers Last reply
More about 7850 crashing time
  1. Green Logo? Catalyst Control Center is a logo with a red ball with silver balls rotating around it. I will also ask if you did a clean installation of the AMD drivers, which includes all the registry keys, or over write. If you overwrite your drivers, there are chances that issues can arise, especially if it happens overtime multiple times.

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards/0_20

essentially how you approach driver deletion.

I will also ask if you manually deleted all the nvidia drivers. Most driver issues are people who go from one gpu to another.
  2. if u have catalyst control center, when u boot up windows there will be a AMD logo on ur tasking only appear for about 0.5 second if ur PC is fast, and will go away.

and my driver is clean install, i format HDD and install windows all over when i bought the card
  3. the symptoms currently sound odd, the whole computer essentially locks up when turning on a game. Its hard for me to think that a gpu can really turn off every other function in the computer, such as keyboard inputs and power switches.
  4. whats your PSU brand?...try underclocking the card and see if it solves the issue.if the issue is solved by underclocking than your PSU is not delivering enough power to run at factory clock.First underclock the GPU and see...
  5. by the way, when it frozen its not blue or black screen, the screen just freeze at the picture when it freeze, with mouse pointer still on scree(but unable to move) and no respond on keyboard or any buttons.
  6. vcreation said:
    by the way, when it frozen its not blue or black screen, the screen just freeze at the picture when it freeze, with mouse pointer still on scree(but unable to move) and no respond on keyboard or any buttons.

I think than its a Power supply problem.I had the exact problem 6 month back.When in game the screen freezes (while playing games like battle field 3) making wired sound and no input from mouse and keyboard,had to force re-boot.The system runs fine while non gaming and other activities like surfing,watching movies and when kept idle.I underclocked the GPU by 25% for testing purpose and reduced the power requriment of the GPU and i was able to last longer than earlier.

Later i replaced my PSU with better one and finally got rid of that problem.

I would once againg suggest you to underclock the GPU for testing purpose and see if resolves or delays the freezing issue.
    Try it....
  7. OKAY, i underclock GPU from 975mhz to 650, memory from 1200 to 1000mhz

and reduce the game detail slightly. it's been 1 day now no crashing. i'll give it another few days to make sure 100%

if its the case, would it be power supply? or is it just the card unstable @ factory speed ?

PSU is thermaltake litepower 600, i'd try a 80 plus it i can confirm it's PSU
  8. vcreation said:
    OKAY, i underclock GPU from 975mhz to 650, memory from 1200 to 1000mhz

and reduce the game detail slightly. it's been 1 day now no crashing. i'll give it another few days to make sure 100%

if its the case, would it be power supply? or is it just the card unstable @ factory speed ?

PSU is thermaltake litepower 600, i'd try a 80 plus it i can confirm it's PSU

your card is okey...i had same experience as i said above.
    your PSU is not delivering enough power to run the card at factory clock.
    you have decreased the power requriment of the card by underclocking, so now you are not experincing or delaying the freezing issue.

I would suggest you to get your friends PSU ( better than yours ) and give it a try on factory clock.If you experince no freezing issue than the culprit is your PSU.Its time to change....
  9. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Try this online PC power requriment calculater.
    Add all your components and check the final output wattage.
    Its not accurate but you will get the approx wattage required by your entire system.
  10. tested it out and i found PSU is way more than capable of running the HD7850

now it's Day-2 and no freezing. problem now is hard to tell if it's PSU, video card itself or other parts of PC? could it possible be other parts of PC that faults? or most likely the video card itself.
  11. vcreation said:
    tested it out and i found PSU is way more than capable of running the HD7850

now it's Day-2 and no freezing. problem now is hard to tell if it's PSU, video card itself or other parts of PC? could it possible be other parts of PC that faults? or most likely the video card itself.

Its not the Video card.Its the PSU.Sometimes the faulty PSU will not deliver enough power as stated by them.
    Your video card is working fine while underclocked so i dont think its the GPU.

Also one thing more.
    What is the max Temp of your CPU and GPU under full load?
    Heat can also be the issue...
    Underclocking also reduces heat so may be your card is working at ideal temp when underclocked.
    check the Temp of the GPU and CPU under factory settings.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics