Sign in with
Your question

Final Idea, questions

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2012 5:38:19 PM

Okay, I know I have been a constant in this section of the forum for the past 4 to 5 days, but this is the last post, for now, lol.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: 282.96

That is my bare, backbone build. I have a Thermaltake TR2 PSU, with dual 12v rails, that I am using, and an ATI 5450 1G GPU that I'm using as well. They are ONLY place holders for now, until I get my job over the spring/summer and generate more income. At that point I will be buying a Corsair builder series 600W PSU and an ATI 7850 2G GPU.

I am not buying either right now because I don't want to skimp on quality just for the dollar as PSU's are one of the main points in a build.

I'm going with AMD just because it's a budget, I know intel is good, but I figured with the 3220, with this I'm getting almost exactly the same single thread power and more multi-thread power. So don't bash me for saving money on the CPU.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-First question, how is that case? I have about 300 to 320 USD to spend on this portion of the build, and I've heard gossip about Antec Three Hundred and a CoolerMaster HAF 912 I think. What do those two have that this one doesn't? I use a few USB peripherals so 3.0 is important to me, but the most important is cooling, cable management, and room to upgrade.

-Will I need a CPU cooler? I do plan to overclock a little at first and then more when I get a GPU.

-Lastly, my main question to all of you, to sum it up is, what, of these parts, could I upgrade and stay within the 320 USD budget?

More about : final idea questions

December 12, 2012 5:49:23 PM

Well, Thermaltake PSU's are not highly rated, you are taking a risk in spending money on components that could be damaged by a failing PSU.
m
l
December 12, 2012 6:13:59 PM

Well, I've had it for a year and it hasn't really done me wrong. I've seen bad reviews on the single 12v rail model, and a few other thermaltake ones. But the one that I got recieved 2011 customer choice, I thought it would be a good one. >.<

Sigh, damnit. lol. I might just go ahead and buy the builder series 600W then. But I would like more input on this, does anyone else have that same PSU? It is this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!