Jakobsladder

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hey guys. I am planning on building myself a new Gaming Rig from scratch. I have done a fair bit of research since I have not built a new system in a while.
I do a lot of PC gaming and also do a lot of recording with FRAPS for my YouTube channel. So it is important that my rig is built around those tasks.

My budget is around $1,400.00 and I think the rig I have assembled is pretty close to what I want. (Note: My budget include the price of a Monitor/OS/Keyboard)

What are your thoughts on this system? Anything I should change?
(I would be gaming at 1980x1020)

I would also like it to be able to last me a fair bit of time before needing to upgrade again.

I am also wondering on Windows 7 vs Windows 8?

My Gaming Rig--->> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s1L7

Michael31

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Thats a good PC Build the only thing I would recommend is windows 7 over windows 8, Windows 7 is a far Superior gaming OS than windows 8,

If your want to do windows 8 wait for the first service pack

Also What types of games do you play, because you might want to look into a mechanical gaming keyboard. I love mine!

Jakobsladder

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

What is the advantage of the more expensive motherboard you selected? Just curious.

Also. I know the single 2TB drive is cheaper, but I need 2 individual drives for the recording that i do. Recording from and writing back to the same drive with FRAPS bogs down the system a lot more than recording to a separate internal drive.

regina_49

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I would agree with regina's build. You could drop down the extreme4 instead of the extreme6 if the extreme4 is on sale somewhere. They are pretty identical except for a few fringe peripherals. (Floppy connector, Firewire, ect). You could stick with the 2xHHD for a raid if you wanted. Be sure to get low profile ram to ensure comparability with "big air" coolers.

Jakobsladder

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
After some research i am heavily considering the 212 EVO CPU Cooler. Though I am a bit worried about its size. With my current case/motherboard/ram would it fit? Or would I need to change a few components to allow for the large cooler size?

Ameture1337 Suggests low profile ram. Is that absolutely necessary?

amateur1337

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
You dont need anything..just buy ssd connect the cables..set in bios achi mode istead of ide and install windows..then there are lots of tips what to disable in sindows to make it faster and last even longer...