Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Going back down the AMD hole maybe 7970 a good buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2012 6:40:29 PM

ok after bitching about the XFX 7950 i found out my psu is crap and needs to be replaced I still however think the drivers also played a role in the crap factor. Ok with all that said I was going to get a GTX 680 next week but the 7970's now come with a coupon for one free game I think or maybe you get all three games idk if you do get all three holy crap I can't refuse that value. With the added value of a free game is there any real reason to buy a GTX 680? should I stick with my guns and buy a 680? :pfff:  :pfff:  not sure what to do here as I hate taking a chance on AMD drivers again.... :( 
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 7:08:50 PM

The 7970 cards are reported to be good and the drivers should be just fine. I'd get one. But you seem to have a negative out look, in that case get 670 and call it a day.
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:33:43 PM

Well I had a ton of issues with my 7950 but it turns out my PSU was crap. However I still think the drivers may have been bad. do you have a 7970? are the drivers any good?
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:38:34 PM

Both Radeon and nVidia make excellent products at this level, and you should have no issues with either.

Biggest issue with not getting the most out of gear tends to be not having the correct drivers, rather than the quality of drivers.

If you've identified a defective PSU as a source of problems, I'd confirm you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and the rest of your gear first.

These cards are some of the best gear available, so you can't go wrong with them. If you can afford either of these cards, the inclusion of the game shouldn't need to be a determining factor in your choice.
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:44:56 PM

well 8970 is maybe 3 months away, so its your money ;) 

best
revro
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:46:13 PM

Everything on my end is up to date just a faulty PSU my fault for going with a cheap 750w from a crappy brand. I plan to buy this PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is this one good enough for a single video card? this is what I look at when I buy a psu +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@62A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A and it looks good but any feed back will help
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:53:05 PM

A 750W PSU is plenty for an SLI graphics card setup with room to grow. The most recent cards are even more power-efficient requiring a smaller power supply than you might expect.

Corsair has a PSU finder, and I would try it to confirm the size of your PSU:

http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:53:57 PM

I read about the 8970 seems AMD want's to push Nvidia back a little. A counter offering so early on might put Nvidia in a jam as I am sure they planned to milk the 6xx cards for at least as long as they milked the 5xx.
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 7:56:21 PM

Caveat emptor.

Seriously, the drivers are one of the main reasons I never recommend AMD. With their corporate re-structuring and laying off of 20% of their workforce, I'm having a hard time seeing how their driver support is going to be a good bet in the long run.

But you're right, the 7970 is cheaper and comes with a free game. With your 7970, just be clear with yourself that you will never be able to enable GPU accelerated PhysX, TXAA, etc. Come to terms with that and the driver support and I'm sure you'll be fine. You've come to the right place as there are plenty of posters who will help you to rationalize that decision.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 8:01:18 PM

This is a better deal for your PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair CX line is decent, but it's not as good as some of their higher end (TX,AX,HX). PC P&C is a great old brand. For some additional shopping info: www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx For what it's worth, I picked up the Silencer MkII 750W a month or so ago. Haven't done any crazy experimenting, but it seems solid, working fine for single card. I got it to add a second 7870 in CF in the near future.

The 7970 Ghz Edition are beating nvidia these days. AMD may have a few funky driver problems at some versions, but imo you can get this in either camp. AMD has a bad rap for it, but both likely have problems with drivers at different times; at this point, there are stable drivers available to fall back to if you have problems.

edit: Also, my understanding is that all 3 games are free, but I didn't read that closely. Be sure to claim them as soon as you get it. I sat on a dirt3 freebie-coupon for a few months and it was no longer valid when I tried to use it (reported the key had been used :\)
m
l
October 23, 2012 8:02:09 PM

Hmm weird Corsair suggested a 430 psu ...... but that can't be right as I picked I7 9xx and GTX 680. right now i have a I7 980 and 12gb ram, 2 hard drives four case fans so there's no way that can be right... right ?
m
l
October 23, 2012 8:05:05 PM

djscribbles said:
This is a better deal for your PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair CX line is decent, but it's not as good as some of their higher end (TX,AX,HX). PC P&C is a great old brand. For some additional shopping info: www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

The 7970 Ghz Edition are beating nvidia these days. AMD may have a few funky driver problems at some versions, but imo you can get this in either camp. AMD has a bad rap for it, but both likely have problems with drivers at different times; at this point, there are stable drivers available to fall back to if you have problems.

edit: Also, my understanding is that all 3 games are free, but I didn't read that closely. Be sure to claim them as soon as you get it. I sat on a dirt3 freebie-coupon for a few months and it was no longer valid when I tried to use it (reported the key had been used :\)

I like that PSU but some reviews say that the PSU cords are too short. I have a 850D so I need long cables anything around the price range with long cables?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2012 8:30:10 PM

The 680 is generally regarded as overpriced. It's not worth the extra $100 over the 670 for a small boost that overclocking could overcome.

m
l
October 23, 2012 9:01:08 PM

ok so get a GTX 670 if so which one?
m
l
October 23, 2012 9:19:30 PM

Boardjames said:
ok so get a GTX 670 if so which one?

EVGA and ASUS are the top brands out there, but the GTX 670's chipset is excellent so you won't go wrong with any of the available options. I searched with "GTX 670" on newegg.com and here's what I came up with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The best cards in this list are EVGA's FTW cards, but ASUS has a premium line of TOP cards and I want their GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP item (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71741).
m
l
October 24, 2012 10:22:23 PM

$359 for the Gigabyte GTX 670 wtf.... oh man AMD is giving 3 triple A game's away and now what many claim to be one of the best GTX 670's is $40 less... tough to pick anything ATM. The 7970 with the 12.11 driver is faster then the 670 but I am weary of AMD drivers..... the stakes are so freaking high right now I can't make up my mind.
m
l
October 24, 2012 10:38:10 PM

this Holiday season is making hella hard to make up my mind on any videocard.

I only know about basic stuff when it comes to AMD and Nvidia. I am very weary of Drivers from AMD. Can anyone explain what I get and don't get when picking a brand? I am almost %100 sure it was my crappy PSU causing issues with my 7950.. I hear Nvidia has a new Vsync that causes less screen tearing when gaming I like that idea. I also hear that Nvidia has better drivers. All I want to do is play games at high settings at 1980x1200 which card is the best Videocard atm?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 12:23:15 AM

AMDs driver issues, in my opinion, are a bit overblown. The only major issue I've had with them is one of the recent driver versions had an issue in RAGE while i was playing it. I've heard some of the recent drivers have issues in WoW as well, so some people need to use older drivers (11.3).

There are snags in some releases, but never anything crazy. I've been using AMD/Ati since the 4870.

If you prefer nVidia, that is fine, just don't avoid AMD simply because of drivers. If the drivers were that bad, they would not be a major contender in the GPU business.
October 25, 2012 1:32:01 AM

Best answer selected by Boardjames.
m
l
October 25, 2012 1:34:18 AM

The 7970 seems to offer more long term performance and 3 free games makes it hard to pass up. Guess I will give AMD one last try and if they fail me again even with a new 850w PSU and new motherboard then I will quit them forever.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 2:08:49 AM

What PSU have do you have? Any size PSU can be terrible if you've gone for watts over quality. Would hate to see you continue to have problems.
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:43:09 AM

I have a Sentey 750w but it is total crap. After hours and hours and constant changing my mind I am going with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I hate the way XFX packs there psu's but I found this one to be perfect for my needs plenty of power for future upgrades and stuff. This is what I really like +12V@70A with that much power no way in hell I won't have enough and it is 80 plus silver.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 3:59:52 PM

That is a good choice from a quality standpoint, however it's overkill for wattage.
You could easily crossfire 7970s with it.

A 600W would be fine (assuming your PC is fairly normal in setup, no 8disk raids or crazy OCs), but overkill doesn't hurt anything but your wallet.
If you do want to shop around, this is a handy reference:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Look for hardware-teardown-reviews of your PSUs, as an in-depth review of PSUs can really tell you everything about the quality of components used.

Also keep in mind, any PSU can fail, a good PSU is much less likely to fail but it can still happen :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 5:18:22 PM

I keep seeing everyone post up all these power supplies.

Honestly... this is your best buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill? Yes... all power supplies are made by a handful of manufacturers but re-branded after wards with XFX, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling etc.

This particular unit was reviewed by Jonnyguru here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

80+ gold with a Single strong rail capable of 62A of current on the 12v line (744W). It is a very solid unit even when not factoring in the price/cost.

Quote:

Performance (40% of the final score) - let's get some scoring done now, what say? There's a lot good and very little bad about this unit. It passed for Gold efficiency, it blew away the overshoot transient tests, and it was as stable as an anvil when it came to voltage regulation. That said, in the hot tests, we saw it doing between 1% and 2% on average, so a half a point will come off. I'll stop there... this unit deserves a 9.5.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - like my colleague, jonnyGURU, I'm going to start picking on units for not being modular. Therefore, a point will come off for that. I'm also going to start getting a little pickier with user guides. This one has enough information in there on installation and troubleshooting issues, but is lacking a bit when it comes to specifications. Half point off for that. And that's it. 8.5.

Value (20% of the final score) - given this is Newegg's house brand, I'm looking at their price right now - $119.99. That's quite reasonable for something this good with Gold efficiency so I'll do a 9.5 here.

Build Quality (20% of the final score) - I said I would stop knocking Superflower for missing the MOV, and I meant it. No points off for that. I will, however, deduct a point and a half for soldering, especially that one joint that didn't get enough solder. Otherwise, it's all mostly good here again. Capacitors, MOSFETs... all the components are top quality. 8.5.

Performance 9.5
Functionality 8.5
Value 9.5
Build Quality 8.5
Total Score 9.1
m
l
October 25, 2012 6:17:03 PM

Looks like a solid PSU but the cords look really short I need the CPU cord to reach the top without being tight in a 850d.
m
l
!